• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking for a Case backhoe

n175h

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie and have searched hours through the archives and decided a Case 580 is what I need. I've found two.

The first one is a 580d and the seller's wife responded to two emails as follows:

My husband is asking $14,500.00 it is a extend
a hoe and has a fork lift attachment, a
24" bucket and a 12" it's a good solid
machine. I am sending a picture.

David , I will try and answer
most of your questions. I think it is a 1984,580D He is the
second owner It has new rubber he had the injector pump
overhauled. and has replaced a few hoses, It has no leaks.
He has no maintenance guide or schedule the hour Gage is
broken.He use it some on construction, but not daily, It has
never been leased . We don't let anyone use it or drive
it but my husband and my self. In the construction business
we use it to lift shingles and plywood up on the roof. It
was not used on any plumping. We have use it around the
house digging a ditch or two.and on the farm . we had
a track loader but sold that, I myself have always run heavy
equiptment. and drove the haul truck. My reason for telling
you this, is because I don't want you to think Me being
a woman wouldn't know what I was doing on a back
hoe. We just don't have
that much use for it anymore. If there is aynmore
questions that I can answer let me know.......

The second one is a 580c and the seller hasn't responded. I have the description on the attached picture. You have to click on the word document "backhoe2.doc" to open the pictue.

Both seem a bit high to me. What should my next line of strategy in pressing on with a bit of due dilligence?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• backhoe2.jpg
    backhoe2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,764
  • backhoe2.doc
    27 KB · Views: 193

cat320

Charter Member
well i would look on www.machinerytrader.com for pricing on the machine the 580D and C where basicly the same type of machine not much of a differrence . but out of the two i would go with the D because it had a cab e-how . the buckets you can get but i would try to get them down around 10K . I had a C very heavy soldif machine

NHGus

Occupation
Fabricator/welder
I've been shopping backhoes lately as well, $14500 for an 84 580D 2wd with X-hoe seems pretty steep, I've found similarly equiped 4x4 580s going for that much, If you can get them down a couple grand then maybe.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I think you've got some very good advice there. Probably priced right 3 years ago, but not now, it's a buyers market where you are, good time to shop around and get your hoe now. The K models are getting older and continuing to depreciate.

As 4x4's become more plentiful, many more are asking for them and so when you decide to sell someday, you want something that everybody wants. As nice a machine that the D is, it still has the Case 207 diesel. Phil:)

Tinkerer

If anyone needs a program to open n175h's .doc file I would recommend Open Office.org. It is a FREE program and is capable of doing many things. It will do most anything Microsoft Home and Office can.

n175h

Sorry about the doc.file. It is the only way I could get the picture to load.
I haven't made an offer, because I've only been looking for about 10 days. No hurry here.

You're right about prices. If you check areas where the unemployment is bad, California, Ohio, Mich, similar models are under $10k, but in Texas everyone is really proud of there stuff and I've seen some hoes on craigslist get removed before expiration, which usually means they got sold, but who knows what price they got.

I did check machinery trader for Texas backhoes and found this one:

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7140983

It looks pretty rusty. I haven't inquired, but it is 4 wheel drive with a clamshell bucket. Even this one is 300 miles away near Dallas, so it would be about $7-9 hundred to get her home and I have to pay 8.25% sales tax from a dealer. :(:(

David

n175h

As nice a machine that the D is, it still has the Case 207 diesel. Phil:)

I can't remember, but according to this:

http://www.agkits.com/case-engine-model.aspx

the cummins engine change was with the E models, right?

Is going with the D model a disadvantage as far as parts availability? There seem to be a lot of B's, C's, and D's still out there.

David

Last edited:

John White

If the K is in decent shape, go with the 4 wheel drive and clam shell bucket, , even if it is a little more. You wont regret it. I made the mistake of not buying a 4 wheel drive for my first back hoe, figured I would never need it or could live without it. Thought it would be just something else to go wrong. Didnt keep it too long till I got a 4-wheel drive. Never gegretted getting it. And the clam shell bucket is a real plus, if doint any brush removal or land clearing.

Phil

Occupation
You would have to pay 13% from a dealer up here. Everything starting in July will be taxed 13%, even gasoline which is already 70% tax, also insurance, lawyers fees, and undertaking.

I agree, if you can pay a little more and get a K with 4 wheel drive, very nice machine. Try and get the one with the big transmission. Up here many K's are rusty, really rusty, big holes in the fenders, bottom of the doors missing, floors completely gone.

Yes the E had the Cummins engine. It's rare to get the D model with one, dealers had to make many changes to convert a D to the Cummins. Not a problem getting parts for the D model, except for the engine block, same with earlier models. Phil:)

n175h

Try and get the one with the big transmission.

Thanks for the reply. Compared to some other K models I've seen on Equipment trader, Machine trader, etc. the one in the link I listed above seems cheap. There must be something big wrong with it.

How do I identify the one with the big transmission???

Thanks,
David

Phil

Occupation
If the gearshift is on the dash, I believe it has the newer transaxle. Also a quick look underneath, or check the serial #. I'm really not familiar with the K model. Several on here work on these all the time and know all the differences between the Series 1,2,and 3, 580K models. A friend of mine sells alot of K parts and he told me he gets $4000 for each good bare transaxle casting he can find, from the early 580K. He said they can crack under the pinion gear bearing, resulting in rapid crown and pinion failure. Phil:)

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That 580k is a beautiful machine there no rust on the cab or anything i would shoot twards getting the K. I HAve a super E and never had any major problems so you might want to look at 580Es to.

Phil

Occupation
Yes I agree, even with a few design flaws, the K is a great machine. I have talked to many owner operators who still regard the 580E as one of the best machines they ever had. Phil:)

n175h

I watched the Iron Planet auction yesterday. That is the place to sell. Wow, some of those hoes went for high $$$. With 11000 bidders, I guess one could get worked up to a frenzy. A 1999 Case 580L 2wd with unknown hours went for 19.5k. A 1998 580L 2wd with 6432 hours-$17.5k.

I didn't see any bargains there. Maybe the 580D in the picture above would be a great buy at 12.5K. I wonder if she would drop $2000 off that price?

David

n175h

If the gearshift is on the dash, I believe it has the newer transaxle. Also a quick look underneath, or check the serial #. Phil:)

Can you tell anything about the gearshift from the cockpit picture?

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7140983

I emailed the salesman Thursday for the serial number and he hasn't returned a call or anything. Really gripes me when I'm trying to buy something and they don't give you infromation. :Banghead:Banghead

I've had a lot better corrospondence from craigslist ads.

David

Phil

Occupation
Yes I think it has the big transaxle, it appears all SK's have it, by looking on CNH. As long as a K is over serial #JJG 20000, it would be that way too. I really don't know much about the 580K, although I have one just like in the picture. They do get cracks in the frame by the rear motor mount, also up higher near the fuel and hydraulic oil fill points. Did you notice the plate welded on the loader arms near the pivot point? Phil:)

n175h

Did you notice the plate welded on the loader arms near the pivot point? Phil:)

No I didn't. Thank you for you keen observation.

I found a 580D 2wd regular hoe that belongs to a small plumbing co. He has owned it for 4.5 years, has 4900hrs. He claims no leaks, minimimal pivot slop, but it has an exhaust manifold crack. One of his guys backed a truck and stabbed a ladder into it, and he said the brakes are getting sticky. He is selling because his work is mostly repair and very little new construction. Price is $8000 obo.

The price sounds pretty good compared to what I have been seeing.

What do you guys think? Oh, and how much is a manifold? Seems like I remember reading a post someone paid about $250 for one.

Check the picture. It is anothe doc.file. Just click on it to open. It takes a few seconds to load.

Thanks, David

Attachments

• backhoe 580D.doc
    28 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Phil

Occupation
Can't seem to open that picture, but I get my old computer back later today. Sure is a very reasonable price. Tach cables break often on these so don't go by the hour meter. Brakes often need work, not because they don't last long but because people just don't bother fixing them unless they have too. Sometimes the left or right brake will get sticky from a slight amount of oil leakage. If they grab or lock-up it may need adjusting. If both sides work then the master and slave cylinders are working so there is a few dollars saved. If the lining kits are purchased and you have them riveted on, there is a cost saving there too. Several sell replacement parts, aren't you glad your are looking at a Case? http://www.collins-services.com/catalog.html

Let us know if you are going to try it out. Phil:)

drifter590sl

Yes I think it has the big transaxle, it appears all SK's have it, by looking on CNH. As long as a K is over serial #JJG 20000, it would be that way too. I really don't know much about the 580K, although I have one just like in the picture. They do get cracks in the frame by the rear motor mount, also up higher near the fuel and hydraulic oil fill points. Did you notice the plate welded on the loader arms near the pivot point? Phil:)

well said. great machines other rise:drinkup...i had a 91 590 same cracks.lol

diggerdave1958

If i where u i would be looking for a 580SE u should be able to find a pretty good machine for the same price with 4x4 and they have the Cummins in them and in the next couple week there are going to be a lot of auctions in Florida, Yoder & Frey, Richie Bros, Alex Lyons and you might want to see what the machines go for there ??