• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for a backhoe...

BulldozerRay

Occupation
Equipment Operator/Driller
Any advice from you pros? I've been looking at dealer sites and a couple have caught my eye but are a bit above my price range...98 JD 310E 4X4 ,Ext Hoe, 80% rubber, 4200 hrs, and the pics show pretty nice machine and a 03 Cat 420D 4X4,Ext Hoe, 50%rubber, 6200 hrs, again pics show a pretty nice machine...
I've operated 416 a little bit and found it kind of wimpy ,but that was after operating Hitachi 450 at work.
I need a machine for land scaping, grading, widening and building road, excavating basement, putting in a water line, and clearing snow...Maybe do some jobs for neighbors and family...
I'm a bit hesitant to start the process on a machine I can't physically look at and I know most of the obvious questions to ask, but would really appreciate some of you guys advice and opinions.

Singletree

Occupation
Diesel power electric plant operator and contracto
You should have a look at the many previous threads that addressed this subject. There are many good machines with their good and bad points and many operators with their many opinions.

DGODGR

Is this for profesional use or are you building your own home? Any 14' class backhoe will be a wimp compared to a 45 ton excavator. No getting around that. Sad thing is that all tasks will seem to take forever if you are used to the big excavator. You did not give a price for either unit. The last poster is correct. You will get as many opinions as responses. I have a 416C with over 12,000 hours on it (bought it new in '97) so you can imagine that I would lean towards Cat when looking for another hoe. There are a couple of thoughts that I had while reading your post. An SE Deere would probably compare better with the newer 420. For me, a machine with 6200 hours would probably be to many. Maybe if owned by an owner/operator (and it was immaculant-my 416 looked like new well beyond 5,000 hours), but not if it was a fleet unit. I'm not exaclty what you are requesting. Machine suggestions or how to find one. Currently there are a lot of good deals out there. The last machine I bought was used (the first used machine I have bought). I found it through a local dealer who was motivated to reduce inventory. It was an oldeer machine (an '04) but had only 1000 hours on it. This was perfect for me. I didn't really care about the age. I ususally keep my machines for a long time (case in point- the 416 mentioned above) so resale was not top of the list either. With only 1,000 hours, and in almost perfect condition, this unit will last a long time before it has enough hours to consider getting rid of it. If you are going to keep this machine (after you are done with your project), or if you plan on unloading it, than I would look for something like I found. It's always nice to find a good used machine that some one else was nice enough to pay the depreciation on without putting the hours on it. Just make sure you buy it right.

BulldozerRay

Occupation
The backhoe would be to develope my 5 acres and build a home, doing jobs for family and neighbors. I live in a pretty remote rural place and doubt I could find enough work to make it a business. Which is part of the problem ,there aren't a lot of good affordable second hand machines around. The local JD dealer has a couple low hour(1600) 04 JD machines but wants 65,000.00 for them.This is over double what I want to pay. I know the history on them.They were leased by a highways contractor and operated in the salt and sand by dozens of different people ,many whom never operated anything before. The dealer pointed out the 03 Cat420D on the internet in Regina(too far to go and physically try out).Listed at 37,000.00 he said it may go at 29,000.00(year end liquidation). The 98 JD Machine was at a used equipment dealer about a days drive away. It's listed at 33,000.00. I see lots of low hour machines in the States, but again too far away and I anticipate too expensive after Canada customs takes their share.
I'll just keep doing my due diligence. I have learned a lot from this site and appreciate all the advice. Especially "Just make sure you buy it right".

Last edited:

JasonDunn

I to am seeking advice for a backhoe been looking on e-bay dont know if thats a good Idea but lots of cheap eqip.

BulldozerRay

Occupation
Still looking...Local dealers are trying to push junk at unreasonable prices...All the good private deal ones for good prices go quick...Got out bid on a couple of ones I liked on the auction site...Starting to check out tractors and mini excavators as well...Was checking out a JD 440 crawler/loader/backhoe. I like the pics even though it was an older machine. The owner said he had lots of work done on it. I e-mailed him and said if it was work ready I'd be right there to check it out...Never heard from him...

BulldozerRay

Occupation
Checking out a little JD 110 on the auction... Seems kind of small but it's like new...Only thing is inspector noted exterior lights not working properly...Starting bid price is low, unless it's a lemon...Local JD guys want 4X for one a year older and with double the hours... Also looking at a JD 510C with a thumb...Just my price(really cheap actually), size, and a thumb, but very high hours...Pics and inspectors report indicate lots of repairs done and paint... operates, but inspector fails to give any responsibility... Guess I have my answer on this one...My consideration was hours are so high that pretty much every thing must have been rebuilt by now...

DGODGR

IMO the 110 is basically a garden tractor. It's to small to do the work you want to do.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Yutong said:
I am a new sales in this company, in charge of North American.
Since I am also new in this field I need to know more about the machines and people operate them.

I like make friends from different countries. Usually I chat with friends online after work while listening to music and go to touring places on holidays.

I hope we can be friends here!

do you want one from China?

We have backhoes too.

Hi, Yutong. Welcome to heavy Equipment Forums. :)

We're happy to have you here, and I'm sure that we can all learn a lot from each other, but If you read the Forum Rules, you'll see that only our sponsors are allowed to advertise. For a sales person to ask if I'd like to buy one of their backhoes is a way of advertising. We don't want you to get in any trouble here on the forums, so please don't do that any more.

Thank you. :)