• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at skid steers???

Bootheal

Starting a quest to figure out what will work best for me and knowing knowing nothing about skid steers. Use will be around the property. Is there a tremendous advantage of the track over the wheels?
Can a wheel unit be converted to a track system relatively inexpensively?
I would like a brush cutter to trim around fencing and difficult spots to mow before the larger mower gets involved.
Have a preference of one over the other?
Thanks

happygolucky

first thing is to determine how much you want to spend. if you don't have the mechanical aptitude to work on buy one from a dealer as you might get some sort of a warranty. if your going to hook something up to it you will need dual hydraulics. never have operated one with tracks but they say they are rougher riding and will tear more grass up with them. not sure I could justify the extra cost tracks will cost you. do you have alot of rocky ground where you live. rocky ground is hard on a skidloader. go on the net and find out all the information you can on them. they all make good skidloaders but some people do prefer one over another,. if you plan on doing some digging then depending on your soil you may want at least 75 horse power. one thing you can do is rent one for a day. that will give you an idea of what you need. they seem to be expensive now adays. do your homework before you buy on. good luck and hope this helps some.

Jeepwalker

That was great advice. Figure out your budget. How old of a machine do you feel comfortable with? You can't 'convert' a wheeled machine to tracks easily but you can ADD over-the-tire tracks which many guys do and like. But that's an extra expense. Sometimes ya see some used ones that are reasonable. It's a good middle ground. Tracks in general are higher maintenance and shorter-lived. There are more rollers and bearings to fail, and the main drive wheel teeth wear (become sharp) and are expensive to replace. So if you found a used track machine you were interested in, you should have it carefully checked out by a knowledgeable outfit b/c otherwise it can get expensive. The track machines in general have a lot more pushing power, sort of like a dozer. But do you need that amt of extra power. They are better in softer ground. From a buying perspective, the ideal situation would be if you stumbled onto a machine which had tracks and drive sprockets replaced fairly recently. As a hobbiest, you're not likely to put on a ton of hours like a contractor would and they would probably last you a long time. That said, prices on replacement tracks have come down too. Skid loaders with tracks usually have a higher load capacity too due to the tracks sticking out just a little further. But it makes a difference. I would say they may be even a little safer.

Pins and bushings wear too. You'd want to check these on a used machine, especially the lower bucket bushings. A couple pins/bushings needing replacement aren't too expensive, but if you had SEVERAL to replace, a guy could drop a grand pretty quick.

Then you should look at things like hand controls vs. foot controls for the bucket. Foot controls guys are always going to say THAT'S the way to go ...hand controls guys like hand controls. Most have pretty much gone to hand or joystick controls. People who operate foot controls get sore shins after a while. Plus it's more to trip over getting in/out. Electronic joystick controls are nice, but there again, more stuff to fail ..and when things fail on a skid loader, it's always expensive if you need to take to a shop. Older machines didn't have computers and were mechanical. By now they have the electronics pretty well figured out, but earlier machines may need a keen eye to inspect the electrics. I would look at machines which have good ergonomics, comfortable and easy to get in/out of. To me, that's really important since ya do it a lot. The Gehls have really low profile loader arms which make side visibility greater. Low step-over entrance threshold too. One with a/c would be nice too ..and a front door (quieter). Gehl, Case, Bobcat, Deere, Cat, they all make good machines. Start with your budget and work back from there.

Last edited:

Vetech63

I have customers with the Bobcat, New Holland, Gehl, John Deere and Cat. Believe it or not, the Gehl RT210 has been the best machine for overall production versus downtime/repair expense. Out of all of those, the Bobcats have been down the most.

popsiclepete

Occupation
Mechanical Contractor
If the brush cutting is just a once in while occurrence, (once every 5 to 10 years), you might be better off hiring it out and not worrying about the dual hydraulics, and the brush cutter attachment purchase or rental. You could then look at a good used machine without the dual Hydraulics and possibly save a dollar or two.
As for the tracks vs wheels, you need to decide what your intended uses are and soil conditions that you will moving and traveling over. If you are wet and muddy, tracks vs wheels. if its dry and rocky wheels vs tracks. If your looking at pushing power like it was earlier tracks are better.

Questions you need to ask yourself;
- How much do you want to spend?
- How much can you afford to spend?
- What type of work would you be doing with this unit?
- Are you patient and willing to wait for repairs while the work you wanted to get done is't getting done?
- Would you need to transport this unit and of so what do you have fro truck and trailer? Or would you have to hire a truck and trailer to move it? That applies to getting it fixed or serviced if you don't have means to service or repair yourself?
- Do you need a cab and A/C?
- What attachments will you be using now and in the future?

These are all questions that I asked myself before purchasing a machine from the advice of a couple of friends in the skid steer business, It helped me decide what I needed.

A 75 HP machine is nice size machine for the average job but until you figure out what you would doing with this machine its hard to tell what size you would need.

Bootheal

Thank you all for your time, consideration and advise.
Mowing fences will be a couple times a year and it is (or can be) wet and marshy.
I too, think the track machine should be a little more stable. It will be used around Creek and branch.
Thanks again for your input thoughts.