• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at first backhoe - Case 580B CK

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
I just signed up on this website today, but have spent the last several days reading all I could find on the 580B. I have ten acres of Florida sand with about 70 or 80 pine stumps that need to be pulled. I had considered renting a late model 580, at a cost of approx $800/40 hour week, but ran into an old B model for $2K. Machine is really rough, but runs well, and all hydraulics seem to work. At present rr tire is destroyed, so haven't been able to operate. Owner is supposed to insstall used tire this week so I can try it out. What I have observed so far: missing hood, block has a small crack on left side under fuel filter which is seeping a little water. (no water in oil that I can see). Hyfdraulic fluid running out behing starter where it bolts to bell housing. I understand that this is a wet bell housing and this probably is due to a missing gasket where the starter bolts up.
Control wiring to starter is non-existant, is being started with a screw driver across the solenoid. I don't know if any of the guagesw work, haven't gotten that far. Was delivered to my sons place with the destroyed tire, and he unloaded it and parked it that way, so we know it will move. If this old machine will allow me to use it here on the farm (with a small amt of maintenance) for a few months, I could probably sell it for scrap and regain my money. What do you think?

cotsco

How much fluidis leaking - how quickly does it dump. I just bought an old 580 ck and sounds like the same. I have not even tried to get it in gear yet,because the fluid is running out so fast. What is a wet bell housing? How do I know what style clutch this thing has - plate or hydro(I reaaly don't know much about this machine!) I have a 4 speed stick, a liver on the stalk that appears to be fwd / rev, and a clutch (I think) pedal. Does the converter and shuttle take oil in different fill holes, or is it a commom plug in front of the 4 speed stick? I have been reading threads on shuttle repair and don't look forward to it, but I will get this machine going, just need some options on how to go about it.

bowtie

bought an old 1970 580 ck needs brakes can anyone suggest cheper parts source tried several sources on line need used parts i guess to stay under 500

vlus

....What is the difference between the shuttle trans and the hydrostatic trans? How can I tell which it has? ....

Hello everyone. First post here. I am reverting to the OP's post from 2007, as I have just purchased a 580B (not sure of year). I decided to order an Operators Manual as well as a Service Manual, and all sites I have been to have specific manuals for the Shuttle Trans vs. Hydrostatic. How can I visually identify which one I have, so I can order the correct manual?

Many thanks in advance!

vlus

Hello again... I cant find how to edit my own post, so I'll do a quick update here. After some additional research, i found the following webpage http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/0/103-ji-case-580b-transmission.html.

This seems to indicate that as long as I have to shift anything, its NOT hydrostatic. Someone please confirm?

Assuming that to be the case, how do I figure out if I have the 4 forward & reverse or the 8 fwd & rev?? If I post a photo of the cab controls, can someone give me a little guidance, thanks!

packratc

Vlus, I'm not familiar with the 580B as I have the earlier 580CK. I can tell you that if you post the serial number and a photo of the controls there are many fine folks here that can tell you what you need to know. With my limited knowledge I can tell you that you should have at least one manual transmission with which you will have to chose a gear that you wish to operate in. The highest gear, most likely fourth, you would use for a road gear. I would guess that most of your backhoe work would be done in first or maybe second gear. My point is that you'll have to shift into a gear to get the machine moving. You don't shift gears on the move like you would a straight shift truck. A shuttle transmission enables you to go foward or reverse without using the clutch. Sounds like an operator's manual will be a good investment for you. Good Luck! packratc

vlus

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply!

I can tell you that if you post the serial number and a photo of the controls there are many fine folks here that can tell you what you need to know.

Great idea, I will take some pictures tomorrow. I didn't want to get too crazy with photos and stuff for my first post to the group, but if that would help dial in an answer!

You don't shift gears on the move like you would a straight shift truck. A shuttle transmission enables you to go foward or reverse without using the clutch.

That was very enlightening! Thank you! Things are starting to make more sense. (None of the cab controls are labeled, so I'm trying to figure out whats what!)

Sounds like an operator's manual will be a good investment for you. Good Luck! packratc

Absolutely... ran a mall Yanmar many years ago, but it was nothing like this, plus everything was labeled :) The shifter that is on the floor I'm THINKING is a 4 speed gear selector but there's no indication of whats what... anyway... I'll snap some photos and report back tomorrow!

dwloop

vlus,

I cannot determine if you found your answer, but here is some info to help. THere are three clutch systems available on the 580B they are as follows and how to identify...

1: Most popular - power shuttle: a torque convertor system connected to a forward / reverse hydraulic clutch system in front of a four speed manual transmission. Will have one transmission shift on the floor and a foot throttle, a forward reverse lever on the left side of the steering wheel. The clutch pedal is actually just a shuttle dump valve.

2: Manual clutch / shuttle shift: a manual clutch in front of a manual shift forward / reverse box, still controlled by a lever on the left side of the steering wheel, a high low range and four speed transmission. There will be a four speed shift on the floor, plus a high low range lever to the right side of it. You cannot shift these without clutching them, manual dry clutch system...

3: least numbers I believe, the hydrostat transmission: It still has the forward reverse lever in the same spot, but no transmission shift levers on the floor. It has two pedals to the right on the floor plate, one forward, one reverse. It is a infinite speed hydraulic transmission system.

There are ebay sellers offering owners manuals that cover all three. :drinkup

HTH,
Dave

Last edited:

vlus

Hello folks. Once again, thanks for some great information. Dave, after reading your post, I believe I have #1 the power shuttle. Not 100% sure what a shuttle dump valve is though :) Assuming I post the photo that follows, correctly, why are there what appears to be two brake pedales on the right? Also, do I use the clutch to shift the gear selector?

pedals.jpg

packrat... you said
don't shift gears on the move like you would a straight shift truck
....so, if I wanted to travel in 4th gear... are you saying just pull out in 4th gear? I don't start in 1st, and work up to 4th?

The next photo is the serial # tag, which I had hoped to figure out the year of the machine, but the only on line help I could find, the #'s all start with 8's or 9's. Any ideas on this?

serial number.jpgserial tag location.jpg

Thanks!
vlus

dwloop

vlus,

Yes, you have the power shuttle. The two pedals to the right are brakes, individual for right and left... There should be a tie bar that also activates the brakes from the clutch pedal, so when loading a truck you can stop forward movement and keep the engine revs up to help raise the loader quicker.

Yes, use the clutch to change the gear selection, and no it is not a sycronized transmission, so you stop, choose the gear and take off in that gear. You cannot really change gears on the move without a lot of grinding...

You do not have to clutch to move from forward to reverse, but you should stop the tractor first. The ring gear on these unit are rivited to the diff carrier and changing forward to reverse while moving has a tendency to knock them loose... Not good!! Just stop with brakes in gear and move the shuttle forward or reverse and go, the torque convertor takes the change...

Oh and BTW, the shuttle is hydraulically operated, so the clutch actually just dumps the pressure to operate it effectively going to neutral. So we always called it a dump...

A owner / operators manual will help clear it all up. :D

I think I have seen this tractor on ebay for sale???

HTH,
Dave

dwloop

vlus,

One last thing I forgot, the plate in the in that last pic is the loader serial plate. The tractors serial plate should be on right side of the steering column support as you are sitting in the seat. It is often missing.... There are separate serial plates for the tractor, loader, engine, transmission and backhoe on these units (as well as the mod-three point hitch if you can find one).

Edit: After looking the first pic closer, I am trying to figure out what the rod is in front of the gear shift?? Where does that go to??

HTH,
Dave

Last edited:

dwloop

vlus,

Take a picture of the of the linkage that connects to the clutch pedal, and the lever in front of the gear shift. You may have a manual shuttle... If so you can disregard most of my prior post, I didn't see a range lever so I thought power shuttle.

Hey, wouldn't be the first time I have been incorrect, won't be the last!! I hope not though...

Dave

vlus

Dave,

Thanks for some great info. Everything starting to make sense now, and yes, owners manual is ordered and on the way :) Not sure about ebay... I purchased from:
http://www.shetronequipment.com/

I'll take more photos as requested - not really sure from memory if thats another lever in front of the gear shift or some kind of linkage... will find out today for sure!

Thx...vlus

dwloop

vlus,

I downloaded the pic of your pedals, and blew it up in photoshop, looks like you have a manual shuttle unit. It looks like there are two shafts protruding from the cover in from of your stick shift. One has a lever that should be connected to the forward / reverse selector, the other should have a gearshift for the range but is missing. This has a automotive type dry clutch and you will have to clutch when moving forward / reverse, or shifting gears.

I apologize for the confusion :eek:, I could not see that cover last night and was looking for the range lever that is missing.

Dave

Last edited: