• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at Case 1845c with a couple of issues

pwcracer

I found a Case skid loader with about 5000 hours on it. The owner has had it for 13 years and told me that sometimes when going up a small grade or incline one side is a bit slower than the other. He also mentioned that when he sometimes raises the bucket up with something in it, it will lower just slightly before raising the bucket. He was quite honest and also mentioned that he replaced the hydraulic pump and a belt on the engine. From reading on this site I am now worried it has a weak drive motor on one side. Should I still go and look at this skid? He is asking a reasonable price for it so far.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Hey, looking is free right. I'd go look at it just because the more you look, the more you learn. I always try to look at several machine of the same model, that way you can compare. After looking at a couple train wreck, you'll figure out what a good one looks like.

Anyway, slow going up an incline might just be an adjustment in the drive levers. Or could be a drive motor. How does it act when you push into a pile of dirt. Do both sides spin the wheels, that might be a better indication of a weak drive.

Also just out of curiousity, what year is it and how much is it? 1845c in general are very reliable and easy to fix.

Did u happen to ask the seller what the primary use was on the machine for all those years was it a personal piece of equipment used around the yard ? I've ran multiple 1845 there nice machines the up hill scenario that you described really sounds like an linkage issue as someone else stated in one of the other comments yes driving it into a pile and seeing how it tracks/pulls to one side or the other or if it's pretty even and consistent with even Tire spin if any make sure you pay attention to tire ware that's a good sign of how the machine is performing I cannot count the amount of times I have seen all kinds of light duty to heavy duty truck tires on these machines just to save a buck it's hard to explain but anybody that's been running equipment can tell just by the feel 90% of the time what the machine is doing as far as the drive motor I used to work on a lot of cases and they had a really strong drive motor I've only ran into one bad motor in 20 something years what killed those Drive Motors on the cases is when they came out with those metal aftermarket tracks that went over the tires they caused a lot of problems making those drives fight each other 70% of the time really ruined the machine just be really careful a lot of these people selling things nowadays will lie to you and tell you whatever they can to sell it so why is your walking around the machine talking to the seller just make visual notes so at the end you can bring them up when you're talkin money I can guarantee you 50% of the people that have ever put tracks on these machines they will never be honest with you because they're where of the damage they cause to machine that's why visual inspection can tell a lot and can't tell you a lot about the seller if anybody's been around any kind of skin steer you can tell a lot just by looking behind the tire on the body just from the wearing on the paint that's another good way to tell if they had tracks on the machine at some point and if they're going to lie to you about that start paying more attention to detail a little bit more because they're probably hiding more I could keep going but I'm sure you know what to do it's so sad lately that these people will do anything to anyone just to get rid of their headache and don't even feel bad about it I would ask the seller since he's had it all that time what kind of attachments he's been running on it I always ask that on every sale but I always wait till the middle or the end of me looking at the machine to ask about the attachments especially if they're not selling any with it and you do not see around the perimeter of the machine you're looking at that's a good way to catch somebody lying because most people are going to try to trick you and say the machines been used light-duty and going to tell you it had an easy life that's why I wait and ask them about the attachments if they're not advertising them with the machine that way you can catch them at the end of the deal and say we'll wait a minute you just told me you used the machine for this and not doing that the reason being if you come on strong in the beginning there going to try to rush you around the machine especially if there's a problem areas I'm not saying all this stuff to be a ass at all I tell people all the time im the most smartest stupidest mother f***** you will ever meet because if you come on strong in the beginning they're going to know you know what you're looking at and what you're looking for so they're going to do there hardest to avoid problems if there is any anybody that's been around machinery and has Common Sense always look and feel for the obvious signs like the motor being warm was it started right before I got here does it have a knock when it's cold and goes away when it's warm it's things like that but getting to the bucket issue the owner was describing when there's weight in bucket and you lift it up he said it drops a little bit did he say at a certain height it does or all different Heights I'm almost wondering if he has the self leveling function on and just never realized it was even a function so as the bucket was getting higher and higher it started tipping so he thought it was dropping I've seen a lot of people dump loads in their lap I've seen it a lot with asphalt falling on them all nice and hot and u see them jumping around a lot of the old timers they never had all these Electronics it's sad I've seen a lot of damn good operators walk away from a job because of all the electronics and 90% of those Old-Timers could carry a grade better than any auto set up just remember the only dumb question is the one not asked and if you have an opportunity to learn anything from an old-timer I would suggest it specially Dozer work

jacobd

One owner for 13 years is a good sign. Look at the condition of his other equipment to see if it was taken care of. Slower on one side is no big deal. Weaker on one side is. As phil said drive it around for a while (15 min+) and get it nice and hot and push against something. It should have have enough power to break traction and spin all the tires. The loader issue may be a faulty load check in the valve. I've never replaced one but I understand it's relatively easy.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
So what is "a reasonable price". I might want to run up to Hastings and steal it from you!:D

pwcracer

I ended up buying it, knowing it will need work.. I got a pretty good deal but have a lot of work. The left side is week. It is of course much less when under full power. One think I noticed is when about 1/2 power, and I put the left stick forwards it won't really move. With the left stick forward, if I try to move the right side via the right lever, it won't move either.. as soon as I return the left handle to the middle, the right side will work again. I think that's odd. I have loose bucket pins/bushing also and can't find a rebushing kit for it.