• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at Case 1845c with a couple of issues

pwcracer

I found a Case skid loader with about 5000 hours on it. The owner has had it for 13 years and told me that sometimes when going up a small grade or incline one side is a bit slower than the other. He also mentioned that when he sometimes raises the bucket up with something in it, it will lower just slightly before raising the bucket. He was quite honest and also mentioned that he replaced the hydraulic pump and a belt on the engine. From reading on this site I am now worried it has a weak drive motor on one side. Should I still go and look at this skid? He is asking a reasonable price for it so far.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The drive system is of course a hydostatic system. You have two hydrostatic pumps in tandem under the seat with a drive motor for each side as you figured. Is the drive slow in both directions on that side? If so then yes you could be looking at a weak pump and motor. But it also could be just a relief valve in the pump, something that should be checked out by a good mechanic. On the lift dropping when you go to raise it there is a plup in between the two ports on the control valve with a poppet valve and spring you can check that to make sure there isn't a problem there. That is what is called a load check valve. Also the earlier machines had a drive planetary between the drive motor and the chain housing for the drive sprocket which has it's own oil and needs to be checked frequently. Other than that they are good machines for their size.