• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at buying dozer.. but too much rust?

boomvan

left rear on inside http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5328/dsc00057d.jpg
right rear on inside http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6823/dsc00055e.jpg

Are those rusted out brackets easily replaceable? Are they integral parts of the frame, or are they just rock/dirt covers? The belly pan is also badly rusted out, but I can deal with that easily with a welder and new metal...

the rest of the track parts are new... http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8017/dsc00039h.jpg

Machine is a 1994 Komatsu D31p-20, new 16" tracks and new sprockets...
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
Hi You can imagine removing any of those bolts, it's been in salt water, they seem to break of easy unless they have had anti seize on them' looks one of those one used one when more land is acquired out of ocean It has been a swampy

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Anytime you touch a bolt it will be a fight, Price out new rails, rollers, rock guards, maybe the bar that conects both track frames, maybe a set of belly pans, and figgure that in to the machines purchase cost.

More than likely you can find another machine that has a little more value to it.

amunderdog

What a large picture. Good quality, but my dial up connection strained under the load.
The blade needs a new cutting edge.
That machine looks cleaned up for resale. I never trust a machine that has been cleaned up for resale. They are usually hiding something.
Good thing they do poor clean up work there, or they would have hide that damage also.
It looks like that place has a lot of imports on it. Notice the line of not legal for road use trucks on the hill. Is that a grey market machine?
In conclusion. It looks hammered to me.
Maybe if it was cheap enough, and i was just going to use it for personal stuff.
I might bite and run it until it dies.

boomvan

point taken. too bad though, there aren't many machines around here for sale, period.
i'll keep searching... :Banghead

Serv

Obviously, the d8 on the GL auction posted above ends in around 24 hours. Keep in mind that once the auction timer gets down below it's final 15 minutes, any bid made in that 15 minute window resets the timer back to 15 minutes. Very frustrating as it drags the auction along until everyone backs away from the computer. I just bought my water tanker from there the other day and that alone jacked my purchase price an extra 3 to 5 grand. The final 15 minutes took almost two hours. :eek:

Also, it appears the d8 auction requires an end user certificate (EUC) clearance. That's a background check that takes the government 45 days to complete after you pay for the machine. Lastly, once the auction ends, they hit whatever credit card you put on file for the total amount plus a 10 percent buyers premium. Just some FYI's. I wouldn't doubt it if that machine ends up going for around 40 grand before it's all over with seeing as it's already at 25k now.

-serv

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
If the price is right I'd say take a chance on it! The expensive bit is done with the new chains and pads!

D6c10K

Serv,
All good points...you have to read the fine print and know what you're bidding on. I've watched many auctions on GL and have only once been able to win an auction (a drill press). The bidding always seems to be very competitive, not like the days before online auctions when stuff went for pennies on the dollar. That said...wish the D8k was closer to home.

Truck 505

I think this is a grey market machine. It doesn't have a U.S. ROPS on it and also its a D31-P which means LGP. This machine has standard pads on it

Hendrik

If the price is right I'd say take a chance on it! The expensive bit is done with the new chains and pads!
The expensive bits are the engine, gearbox and final drives.
If it is an ex Japan machine it will generally have been used and abused. Make sure that you know the history of the machine.
Unless you need it urgently or are getting it for a very good price I would keep looking.

boomvan

It is a grey market machine. That is this companies specialty.. Here is the add.. they are asking $20k..
http://www.alaskaexcavators.com/Komatsu_D31P-20_45012.htm

Instead I found a D39E, with rippers, i think in better shape, much closer to town.. Looked at it through a locked gate the other night.. undercarraige is worn, but i dont know how badly...
Does anyone have specs for undercarraige wear on a D39E?

Thanks...

Last edited:

ianoz

Hi, My 2 cents worth on this machine .Look at the tracks sitting up on the roller flanges,not the right tracks for the machinewhich means all those rusty bolt holding those rollers on have gotta come out and the right rollers to suit the machine put on.Not an easy job .It would want to be very cheap!!!! ian.

Aardvark

steer clear

I'm no dozer xpert but I'd steer clear of that one
Probably find the original tracks were totally ratsh**
It does look that the chains don't match the rollers and you'd find the rollers would probably die in short order too
Changing out those guide looks like a real pain in the u know what.
you'd end up doing this :Banghead or this :pointhead
Better to do this:drinkup

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
If i were purchasing that machine i would take it home, break out the air-arc and cut those stupid guards off of it, I don't own a machine with guards, nothing but a pain in the #$% when it comes to repairing or replacing rollers. Plus we keep our rails adjusted properly and stay out of the rock most of the time with our iron. I would say take a gamble on it for the right price, its got new rails, pads and segments by the looks of things, but I would be looking into a new set of rollers stat! running new rails and old rollers or vice-versa is bad news, the new parts just get chewed up quickly as things don't line up properly. Sometimes I put a new set of segments on a worn out undercarriage, it helps get extra hours out of the rails.... but a new set of segments for a D8 is only 900 bucks aftermarket and they get rounded off pretty quick if your running in sandy soil.

If all the rollers and rails are in decent shape then i wouldnt be too concerned.
Those rusted pieces are just guide/gaurds (depending on who you ask)
They are bolted to the track frame and you dont have to remove any rollers.

The biggest part of the job would be breaking the bolts loose or removing the broken bolts if they are seized.....

Again, as long as all of the rollers and track rails are decent shape i wouldnt worry about those. All the ones on the landfill machines are always bending/breaking so we finally said screw it.