• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at buying a CAT IT12 with 3204 engine. Advice please

s2dm

Relatively new to forum, we have an avocado farm and like to do the work ourselves. Have a kubota track loader and mini-ex, but often have tasks the kubota isn't strong enough for.

Found a 1994 IT-12 with 8000 hrs, ex county government unit in great shape with good service records, naturally aspirated CAT 3204 engine without any rebuilds. Unit is priced well and has tons of attachments I would use included.

At that many hours, should I expect to be able to use it for awhile without major engine issues? I know the higher HP 3204 applications with turbos were problematic, but would you shy away from that engine in this application?

Thanks!

-S

s2dm

I wasnt sure how the new law affected homeowners vs business owners? We'll probably use it 100 hrs a year around the house.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Nobody is sure of anything except "they" are out to get you unless everything is Tier 4. It might be OK because it is ag but who knows.

s2dm

Engine serial # is

45V47620

Can anyone tell me more about this engine? Is it one of the more favorable mitsubishi made engines?

Cmark

There's nothing wrong with a 3204. Bum basic little engine and if it's been well maintained as you say then I wouldn't have any problem buying it. Just make sure it's always had good coolant. If it's got water in the radiator, be more cautious.

And if you buy it, keep and eye on the water pump belt and tensioner.

And no, it's not a Mitsubishi.