• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking at a 951c

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If just rust flush both the engine and radiator then replace with a coolant mix as has rust inhibitors in it
You do yourself and the machine no favors running straight water

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Am I reading this right this machine had the engine rebuilt but has not been uses for 10 years and only has water in it?

Was it sitting for those ten years in Wisconsin? Was there water in the cooling system all that time? Or did someone test run it with water then attempt to drain it? Seems like there is much more info not being shared!

oldgold69

it had coolant in it when it sat we added new coolant when I got it the tank top on the radiator is original being cast metal it has rust scale the guy who rebuilt the engine said the engine was cleaned he is a personal friend of mine he works on our equipment was a factory cat mechanic it still has coolant in it was going to put water in it run it then drain it and see what comes out he said he never touched the radiator when overhauled just added new coolant

crane operator

when you rev it up it burps up the fill neck

If you are making compression in the radiator, a water flush isn't going to do much good. Nor is running without a thermostat going to help the overheating problems.

When you say the oil is clean, is it clean on the dipstick? or did you crack the drain plug and check for antifreeze there?

oldgold69

thank you for all the help im try to come up with an answer on what to look for before I have to pay to have it fixed if its something I can fix what do you mean by a cup seal and how do you find it I don't hear a miss in the engine

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One of the guys with access to SIS can tell on the engine if is a PC series or DI, Pre Chamber or Direct Injection. Prechambers(often called Cups) are screwed into the head and the nozzles direct fuel into them rather than directly into the cylinder. DI engines are Direct Injection, the nozzles are different and the injector Nozzle cup is a drive in swedged in place cooling system for the nozzle, that is surrounded with coolant. Will need a S/N to determine which.

oldgold69

951c 86j3206 3304 78p7871 1v3082 2p6779 these are all the numbers on the plate on the side of the machine so if it would be the cup would it be just fuel getting in the radiator

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pre chambers do not seal fuel in they seal coolant against compression and provide a pre combustion chamber for fuel to start burning in prior to seeing the piston crown.

oldgold69

so how does it leak does compression move the cup or is it something just installed wrong does the head have to come off or can it be done with the head on is a lot of coolant getting in to the engine excuse all my stupid questions my knowledge is in working on heavy trucks i do the basics on heavy equipment I rebuilt the rams on this machine im just a little intimidated working on these engines their a lot different than a mack engine

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Precups once nozzles are removed are then removed using a Spline Socket, O-ring in upper head land and a crush seal on the threaded end at the Engine cylinder side of the head. The seal fails, cup is loose(Are torqued as well timed) will need a service manual as to specs and installation/removal. Coolant will have to be drained, there will be residual in the head when pull these so will end up with some in the cylinder that will have to be purged. Flush the system first, get all that sludge out that you can radiator and engine, perform multiple times until water remains basically clear then start the engine and see if it still burps on raising rpm. Then and only then would I be considering entering the engine as to finding faults.

oldgold69

Now I have to pull the radiator on my 951. My kids started to take it out with out me. pulled the fan and shroud Now if I remember right all you have to do is pull the hoses and cooler lines. Then take some bolts out of the body on the lower shroud right What holds the radiator in the grill . Anything else am I forgetting . thanks in advance

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Now I have to pull the radiator on my 951. My kids started to take it out with out me. pulled the fan and shroud Now if I remember right all you have to do is pull the hoses and cooler lines. Then take some bolts out of the body on the lower shroud right What holds the radiator in the grill . Anything else am I forgetting . thanks in advance
Well this machine is too old for SIS to give directions on removal but I can see that there are upper and lower mounts to the radiator like many of that vintage.

See item #2 circled in red there will be four bolts, two each side, that go through the upper flange and through bar #22 that hold the top of radiator.
955 Rad,upper mounts.JPG
Then there are mounts at the bottom back side of radiator with two bolts in each circled in red in picture below. May need to remove the lower water pipe to access the ones on the left if it is not already out! Not sure if you can take just the bolts going up from the bottom of those mounts or the two bolts from the back side of each.
955 Rad, lower mounts.JPG

oldgold69

Would you use off road equipment gaskets between the upper and lower tanks. number 9 and ten . Any one have any pictures of the top and lower tank off of the core. to see how the core and the tanks seal Are off roads head gaskets any good or should I used cat

oldgold69

Well it has been a while but fixed my overheating problem. The tubes in the radiator were 3/4 plugged. I ran the fuel dip stick down each tube from the top and the bottom and flushed it out. Clean as a whistle. Put the tank on and installed. Pulled the head a checked for cracks .None. Put the head on and put the pushrods in the same valves. Then started it up. The number one exhaust valve pushrod was about 1/4 in loose. So the exhaust gases were not all leaving the cylinder so that's how the engine got that hot. Runs at the normal range now. But i have a new problem is the trans is leaking oil out of the front seal. It leaked about a half gallon in about 4 or 5 hours. Can the seal get fixed in the machine. Can you just take the pucks out and just pull the coupler. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will be head rushed with blood flow as stand on head but seal can be accomplished as noted. When go to reassemble do a run out check for engine/trans alignment and inspect all your mounts.

oldgold69

What do you do when the transmission oil is creamy looking. I changed it 4 or 5 years ago Don't think i have 25 hours on the machine since changing it. Is it leaking rain water into it somewhere. or is it just condensation.