• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

looking after what you've got

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Good insoles, Smartwool socks and two pairs of boots work well for me.

I like White’s, too. One pair is 15 years old with one rebuild. Too nice to wear around fuel. Keens are light and comfortable. I can get a year out of a pair unless I mess them up with fuel.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I wear those grey heavy Carhartt socks. I also rotate boots, sometimes even during the day like on long shutdowns like 14 plus days I'll swap boots at dinner or something.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s a good idea. I keep one pair on the boot dryer and another on my feet during big winter time jobs. Especially, when I’m stuck in SE AK.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I don't understand how folks can have stinky feet, must be ones wet feet, diet or hygiene? :confused: Clean pair of socks every morning, keep your feet dry as possible and air them out when possible.
Want to know some stinky feet, when we first invaded Iraq orders were sent down for the first month of no one take your boots off, if you must change socks one boot off at a time or if you need to air your feet out. Well that didn't work so well with missions extending up to 72 hrs since we were stretched thin on personnel.

Bootheal

This is going to sound like I’m not a fan of cotton. I live in cotton country and use it in most of my clothes but wearing white cotton socks for me will clear the house! Not sure why. Even with wool socks, my feet are damp during the day.

Spud-Monkey, was a reason given for not removing your boots?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Spud-Monkey, was a reason given for not removing your boots?
Yep had to be mission ready at any second you never knew when the two way firing range would open up, didn't have time for you to put boots back on. Plus our unit was QRF for 3rd ID

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Thanks for sharing…that’s a tight schedule. Glad you and others made it home. I’m sure there’s baggage to carry around from being over there and sorry for that but thankful you and others answered the call.
Thanks I appreciate that and yes plenty of luggage to carry around, but one must learn to live again, make use of it not stack it up in the front door and block your entrance to what is still ahead in life.