• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

longest yarder on the west coast of vancouver island

expatracer

Occupation
hoe operator
i was at brandt today and got talking to a guy about pacific trucks and hayes hdx (is that correct) he said he had 3 of them siting on the west coast along with various other gear including a wieser (may be)steel spar yarder with 10000-ft line capable of lifting 20 tons. he said he's retired now his first name was ralph i think (bad memory) . an ideas. the hayes hdx he had was the first one. i did tell him to look up this web site .

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Hmmmmm. Gets a guy to thinking.

There were some yarders built in the Vancouver area in the steam (maybe- but early diesel days for sure) by the name of 'New Westminster'. I know of 3 of these machines that got into the States for sure. I saw one at Darrington in 1997 on a Skookum-Madill mount with 90' tower. It was painted blue and white. Another one was owned by Ray Schoppert Logging of Estacad Or, and was mounted on a General trailer with 110' General tower. Mick Walch has at least one also, and knowing Mike, he probably has several.

Another name close to that is 'Wyssen' which was a single-drum sled mounted setup from Europe that would log a long long way out, but all the Wyssen machines I ever saw used a wooden spar and not steel.

I have learned enough to know that there is an awful lot I dont know, so on matters vague like this it is fun just to speculate.

Thanks for getting the mind wondering. I am imagining some giant yarder now!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Another thing to consider is 10,000 feet of line capacity only means 5,000 feet of hanging capacity- especially if you're talking about haulback line.

20 tons is only 40,000 lbs, which isn't much mainline pull in the yarder world.....

Look at the Berger thread for my Berger Mark 6 brochure and you'll notice that it spools 9,190 feet of 7/8" haulback, and the bare-drum capacity for the mainline is 276,000 lbs- now thats some pulling power.

A Madill 071- a small yarder, has a bare-drum mainline pull capacity of 56,450 lbs according to my brochure here (also posted in the Madill thread someplace).

Just doing some research here is all.

expatracer

Occupation
hoe operator
wyssen that was it built in europe i think. i thought you might know wish i had more tme to talk to this guy .hopefully he looks this up because you probably have met him. he was saying it so far out that it has towers that it goes over

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
wyssen that was it built in europe i think. i thought you might know wish i had more tme to talk to this guy .hopefully he looks this up because you probably have met him. he was saying it so far out that it has towers that it goes over

Yes- that makes sense. Intermmediate supports they call them. Kind of looks like a long ariel tramway. Probably was a Wyssen. Iv'e seen some around, but have never managed to see one working....

I have seen some pics of them online also- and some very impressive pics indeed.

I dont know too many Canadian loggers- I have a good friend who worked for Madill at Kalama for years, so for 2 or 3 years I was actually working for Madill some myself, and during that time I made several trips to Vanc Island, and saw some great things there on those trips.

expatracer

Occupation
hoe operator
i belive this is still in use or at least set up still he did say he had a couple of madill to and the hayes was hdx 1 (i think) sorry not being very helpfull

trakloader

There were some yarders built in the Vancouver area in the steam (maybe- but early diesel days for sure) by the name of 'New Westminster'. I know of 3 of these machines that got into the States for sure. I saw one at Darrington in 1997 on a Skookum-Madill mount with 90' tower. It was painted blue and white. Another one was owned by Ray Schoppert Logging of Estacad Or, and was mounted on a General trailer with 110' General tower. Mick Walch has at least one also, and knowing Mike, he probably has several.

Another name close to that is 'Wyssen' which was a single-drum sled mounted setup from Europe that would log a long long way out, but all the Wyssen machines I ever saw used a wooden spar and not steel.

I have learned enough to know that there is an awful lot I dont know, so on matters vague like this it is fun just to speculate.

Thanks for getting the mind wondering. I am imagining some giant yarder now!

You were thinking of "WESTMINSTER IRON WORKS", they built diesel and gas yarders right into the 50's or 60's. I have a picture of one here somewhere. There were a few Wyssen machines used in BC, I can dig up the literature on them. Might take a few days, though.

trakloader

Another thing to consider is 10,000 feet of line capacity only means 5,000 feet of hanging capacity- especially if you're talking about haulback line.

20 tons is only 40,000 lbs, which isn't much mainline pull in the yarder world.....

Look at the Berger thread for my Berger Mark 6 brochure and you'll notice that it spools 9,190 feet of 7/8" haulback, and the bare-drum capacity for the mainline is 276,000 lbs- now thats some pulling power.

A Madill 071- a small yarder, has a bare-drum mainline pull capacity of 56,450 lbs according to my brochure here (also posted in the Madill thread someplace).

Just doing some research here is all.

I don't think they needed much pulling power, as the yarder merely lowered the logs down the skyline. Not sure, though, we'll know when I dig up the brochures. :confused:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
i was at brandt today and got talking to a guy about pacific trucks and hayes hdx (is that correct) he said he had 3 of them siting on the west coast along with various other gear including a wieser (may be)steel spar yarder with 10000-ft line capable of lifting 20 tons. he said he's retired now his first name was ralph i think (bad memory) . an ideas. the hayes hdx he had was the first one. i did tell him to look up this web site .

Re the first Hayes HDX; it was destroyed in a runaway at Jervis Inlet. It was one of a kind. I had a onepiece windshield(frontwindow) Truck was built in 1953. So it can't be the first HDX built. Sorry I have no picture of that truck. The next generation af HDX came in 1954-55 - 13 units of this series were built. I know for sure 4 are still existing, one of them are still in opraration as water/fire truck on VI. These HDX used Hayes Clipper 100 doors and front lights were built into the grill bar. See picture 1,2

From there on the HDX looks like as in picture 3. Later HDX was offered with a set forward axle as picture 4.
Where on the west coast are the trucks parked?

Attachments

• Canada26072005 546.jpg
    Canada26072005 546.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,728
  • Canada26072005 548.jpg
    Canada26072005 548.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,652
  • Canada26072005 062.jpg
    Canada26072005 062.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,670
  • Canada26072005 496.jpg
    Canada26072005 496.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,640

expatracer

Occupation
hoe operator
all he said was on the west coast of vancouver island should of got more info because i would love to go see them (hint hint if any body still has any i could see in the lower mainland ) i belive he said 1 hayes and 2 pacific P16s

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
all he said was on the west coast of vancouver island should of got more info because i would love to go see them (hint hint if any body still has any i could see in the lower mainland ) i belive he said 1 hayes and 2 pacific P16s

There were some that just went through the RB auction at Chiliwack.
Was a week or so ago. I bid online on a couple of Challengers and didnt go down.

Theres a chance they're still there.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager

Ok.
Surespan, Vancouver got 2 Hayes HDX but 1 is without a cab
Surespan's 1974 HDX (S/N 6425) work as a tractor and their modified 1973(without CAB) HDX (S/N 5775) work as a trailer
#6425 is old MB unit #H317

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Sounds like you were talking to Rolf Lee. His dad owned Hans Lee Trucking In Zeballos.They were the hauling contractors for Tahsis Co. I believe they started working fo Tahsis in Chamis Bay, then to Fair Harbour.They had two HDXS and I think 2 or 3 Hds and one Kenworth Preload.Any how they were Swiss and both of them worked on the Wyssen the had in Fair Harbour, do not remember who owned it but it burnt up in a fire there,and it still is sitting on the hill. I left Zelallos in 78 and Rolf And his brother Hans bought their own Wyssen and worked it around the province for years . The last I heard of any of them was back in 84 when Hans was helping the duke get going in Mahatta River.

HDX

075 They had it out near Tofino at Kennedy Lake for a little while Think he might have still had one of the OLD HDs with it as a support truck (Line horse) with a big drum on her Was in the 80s