• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

long reach???

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
if you were to buy a long reach is it better to get one factory built or one that has a aftermarket setup on it.??

Hawkeye

I had an aftermarket long reach for a 320 and switched back and forth to the standard set for a number of years. It worked great, I have no idea what brand it was, bought it from PCI in Reinbeck

excavator

The difference that I have seen is the factory long reach machines usually have additional valving so that the boom cannot be dropped as fast as a regular machine. And they also have more counter weight. There was a dealer in our area years ago that converted standard machines to long reach by just replacing the stick and boom, nothing else and they were very unstable machines.