• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

Paul L

Ha 075, what is the direction of pull in your pic? It looks like if you pull the rope out the hook is so wide it could full/bounce off. I've used pass chains the same way as kiwi450x, but if you pull the wrong way it can slip before it gets a load on.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Paul the pull would be away from the grapple or away from the hook, it is only the way it is for show . HDX 250 feet of 3/4 inch just changed it out in the morning. Lasts a lot longer than smaller stuff get about two months or more out of it if I upend it once. Had a foreman who was cheap and we tried to use old 1", kept jumping the tag drum with 200 feet, that's when we went back to 3/4". The only thing about the 250 foot coils is the rigging rats keep stealing it for chokers . Fixed them though we put them up on top of a seacan can only get at them with a fork lift lol.

hoechucker

I hate it when that happens.but at least it makes me feel a little better about the couple times I've fell down while out shoveling

72HDX

Occupation
Off-Highway Truck Driver
Paul the pull would be away from the grapple or away from the hook, it is only the way it is for show . HDX 250 feet of 3/4 inch just changed it out in the morning. Lasts a lot longer than smaller stuff get about two months or more out of it if I upend it once. Had a foreman who was cheap and we tried to use old 1", kept jumping the tag drum with 200 feet, that's when we went back to 3/4". The only thing about the 250 foot coils is the rigging rats keep stealing it for chokers . Fixed them though we put them up on top of a seacan can only get at them with a fork lift lol.

We started running 5/8 swaged on the tag for our 7230. You get about another 100ft on the drum. The operator doesn't like the D link though and opts to do grapple knots

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
We started running 5/8 swaged on the tag for our 7230. You get about another 100ft on the drum. The operator doesn't like the D link though and opts to do grapple knots

Tag is a little faster with more line and using grapple knots it eats up line as the knot wears out. I don't like the way the tag comes back at the cab when the knot breaks and it always happens when it is raining side ways. If you put lots of line on the drum and don't pull it right off it always get chewed up from not spooling and blows a strand or two so you can never up end it .I never use to like tag chains either but it helps open the grapple so I have learned to live with it. No way is better than the other it is just what you are used to using and us old guys hate change.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Don't know much about it got pictures from a friend , I hope he could jump into the clear .

If he didn't bail, I doubt that he could have opened the cab door to escape after it bottomed out.

Wide road rob

1982 Fred Moe logging truck, Queets Ridge, WA

The truck driver realized the brakes were faulty and that he could not make the sharp corner so he steered the truck into the dirt bank and jumped, saving himself and the truck from a worst fate. The accident occurred in 1982 up Queets Ridge, WA. As I recall, down around the corner there was a bridge, and that this road intersected with the road to the Clearwater Honor Camp.

Attachments

• 1982 Sholes 47.JPG
    1982 Sholes 47.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 762
  • 1982 Sholes 49.JPG
    1982 Sholes 49.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 752
  • 1982 Sholes 48.JPG
    1982 Sholes 48.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 761
  • 1982 Sholes 50.JPG
    1982 Sholes 50.JPG