• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

local 825 nj

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Hope I don't seem like I'm stalking you.

That's actually the one that I looked into joining. It was going to be a little tough to get in. First you take the test which was given this May, so I don't when the next one would be. Then if accepted you go to South Brunswick for 6 weeks training on 1 machine(no pay at this point).Then your put into a pool of other possible apprentices for that machine. You get called as needed and have to rack up 1,000 hours on that machine at various jobs before getting trained on the next one. This happens for 4 different machines, usually to get you the basics on a wide variety of equipment, but also based on what they need most.

They told me it was usually 4 years before you became a full member with pay as follows.
1st year-60% full union wages
2nd year-70%
3rd year-80%
4th year-90%
5th year-full member with union pay

Each time you go for training (6 weeks) it is without pay. Sometimes you also have to travel far to be put to use and get the 1,000 hours. It great once you finish with the apprentice stuff. I decided not to go for it, since I did want to possibly drive to the farthest corner of Jersey to get time only to then go for 6 weeks of unpaid training. I was told that they were busier in Jersey than New York, so it might not be a problem for you.

I think www.iuoe825.org is their website.

20dub

thanks alot cat420 ..that's the kind of info i'am looking for...kinda the same reasons i never joined a union in the past...i have had alot of friends in different unions sit home when i go work...but then again some make more in 8-9 months than i do in a year but they are all 10+ years in...that 4 years of apprenticeship would be tough.that has always kept me from joining..i think it would be worth it 5+years down the road but that is a long road ...anybody else..?...members..?...

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
My Dad was a member there for about30 years.It used to be one of the most corrupt unions around--run by some woman named Margaret and her half brother--they doled out the work.At one time,dad did'nt work steady for 5 years because of an issue he took exception to.Hope for your sake it's OK now--good luck.

LaLaMan

I would honestly recommend you join. I work alongside many 825 guys (im IBEW LU 164)

Training, pay, benifits.

Make the most of your apprenticeship, and set yuorself up for when your out of work (side jobs, snow work, rental properties, work for a company part time)

WHen non union guys will never tell you, is sure union guys may be unemployed for periods of time, but SMART union guys set themselves up for that time, and make sure they dont live off a 100k as year budget. Live off a 40k year budget and youll be fine.

This is all if you can get in. It make take a few tries.

If not, work non union for some big outfit like RR.

20dub

LaLaMan said:
I would honestly recommend you join. I work alongside many 825 guys (im IBEW LU 164)

Training, pay, benifits.

Make the most of your apprenticeship, and set yuorself up for when your out of work (side jobs, snow work, rental properties, work for a company part time)

WHen non union guys will never tell you, is sure union guys may be unemployed for periods of time, but SMART union guys set themselves up for that time, and make sure they dont live off a 100k as year budget. Live off a 40k year budget and youll be fine.

This is all if you can get in. It make take a few tries.

If not, work non union for some big outfit like RR.

thanks for the advice LaLAMan...got any good ideas on how to get in..? does your union have an apprentice program...?i have been looking into training but nothing seems to be as involved as union training...i really would like to get in somewhere but it seems that if you don't know somebody you're outta luck.:Banghead

maybe i'll go see RR.i think they work out of patterson but they are doing a bridge down they street from me....(rt195 bridge over the parkway)..

kamerad47

You have a better chance at winning rhe lottery!!!!! Because these are good jobs these guts don't retire rhet hve to be pushed out !!!! If you were a woman you would be in yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!

Nac

Occupation
Construction
there are othe ways to get a union book. If a contractor hires after 2 or weeks the union has to give you a book. Once you are layed off getting a job out of the hall is a nother story.It is who you know and who ass you kiss. I was a union Laborer for 8 years and a union carpenter for 3 years. I never was at the union hall looking for work. I found my own work, was a foreman for 6 yeras doing concrete work with any where from 6 - 50 guys working for me. When my last boss stiffed me out of 2000 hr of benifits the union did nothing for me.

20dub

thanks alot for the replies...the more i hear the more i think i'am beat on getting in the union..:yup ...what to do..?:sleeping

20dub

okay..so i got a date for an aptitude test..dec 12 in south brunswick...
gonna give it a shot.. could be a good thing...
anybody got any advice....?:bouncegri

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
If you get in keep your nose warm the big wigs don't like a cold nose on there bare...ya know.:wink2