• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loadline belly dump gate ram is jerky

Snipe

I bought a use belly dump gravel trailer and air ram for back gate is jerky when opening gate, any ideas on what's wrong with it.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
Air cycld's are not smooth operating like hyd one's they are kinda jumpy .Is it getting enough air flow is air oiler giving the system enough oil.They are not that hard to reseal as long as the rod or barrel is not bent/dented or corroded.

lantraxco

If the gate doors are not swinging free on their pins, that will also cause it to stutter. As clintm said check that the oiler is there, has oil in it, and is feeding oil and no restrictions or crimped lines or hoses. Either inside the cylinder, the rod packings, or in the moving gate parts, there's some drag. The air flows until there's enough pressure to make it jump, then it catches again and you have to wait for enough air to build up until the pressure exceeds the drag. The material laying on the gates can be part of the problem also.

Shimmy1

I've never seen a belly dump gate that opens like it was operated by hydraulics. They are always a little jerky. Shouldn't matter. The load won't care.

Snipe

Thanks guys, trailer has a little door on the side that has a air bag dump valve then a air shut off valve that is attached to a oiler maybe. It looks like a water filter as it has a petcock on the bottom I will see if I can see were air lines go from it. What kind of oil do I use for lubricator if it is one?

clintm

Occupation
if it's been setting for awhile it wouldn't hurt to disassemble the valve and clean it check the seal's and orings ,lube it up and reassemble the oiler and water separator also

clintm

Occupation
:umno:idontgetit so it doesn't need any lubrication. my 1st gut feeling call's BS!