• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loading trucks, what makes people angry

z_halen

Hi guys

Thought i might quiz you guys for some more simple advice.

I've got a job loading trucks out of a big road job that i start in a couple of days, and i thought i might ask if there are particular things that make guys angry when doing this. I know i'm not meant to load over the cab, but what sort of things makes a good operator. Any hints for keeping the pile tidy and how much is too much or not enough. Anything you guys can mention will really help

I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, but, i don't want to walk up there having a ticket and all asking questions that i really should know.

Thanks guys.

P.S if there was already a post about this that i didn't find in the search please link it for me.... Cheers :drinkup:drinkup

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Are you using a loader or excavator?

On-road or off road trucks?

In general:

Take your time. You don't wanna hit the truck, more so with the on-road trucks.(might seem like a stupid answer, but sometimes it's not) On road trucks, the general rule for knowing their loaded is when material is "just" visible over the sideboards.... off road its more like when you run out of room on the truck. If you're loading any large rocks or borken pavement, PLACE them in the bed, truck drivers don't like getting tossed around more than they have to. There are plenty more, but I need to get moving here this morning

rino1494

Don't dribble any dirt on the side of the box. Becareful so that any rocks slide off the bucket and hit the box or the wheels. Don't just toss the dirt in the box, instead, just place it in. Also, don't break any sideboards.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Like others said just be easy when you dump it. Try not to spill too much on the side of the truck, but it's going to happen. It's alot easier to load the truck if you are up on the pile of dirt. This way you don't have to pick the bucket up so high and you don't strow as much.

Check out this little video.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YCbrK4zIF8o

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
sit higher then the trucks (i have loaded trucks when i was sitting lower then them before, not a whole lot of fun)...take your time, have the trucks get as close to you as possible so you aren't stretching (assuming you are loading with a trackhoe)

also if you are on a pile when the trucks are there work in short radius from the machine, don't extend all the way out and drag back, get full buckets from the pile under you then between trucks reach out and pull it all back to you...its more efficient and less time consuming per truck

knucklehead98

IF you are loading big chunks of concrete,rock,or asphalt, if it is possible put a layer of dirt in the boottom of the bed. This will help protect the bed and absorb some of the shock if a piece does get away from you.

z_halen

Great guys, thanks very much for the tips, i'm sure it's harder for you to remember as it would be second nature for you all. Yes i should have mentioned that i'll be on an excavator.

Been watching the youtube clips picking up on the way that different guys operate. I learn more by watching and listening to other operators then trying to recreate the wheel on my own.

Thanks again and keep'em coming

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
However, on a more serious note; Without being all officious about it, I always make sure the drivers understand that I'm running the show. Make them park where you want....not where they think they should. Know your trucks and machine capacity, especially if the drivers are getting paid by the hour. If your loading out tri-axle semis and have a 2.5 cube bucket then a bit over 7 buckets should do it. Don't let those scallywag drivers pull off with only 3/4's of a load. By the same token be mindful of who has to pay the ticket if the heavies get them for overloading. Keep your load out area clean and level. Use the UHF for positioning the trucks.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
and when the drivers tick you off....and they will...hold the first bucket load of dirt 10 feet above the sideboards and let 'er rip

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Start at one end of the truck and place the next bucket full ( depending on size ) on top or slightly in front of the last until you are just above the sides with the top of you spoil, then work along with each bucket full. This allows you to see if you have the muck / spoil / rock in the middle of the body. Nothing worse than a truck loaded all along one side.
Once loaded and he pulls away grab a glance of the truck from the back :eek:
you'll soon see if you've got it a bit to one side, and you will :D
I tend to run the flat of the bucket along the length of the load to take the top 4" or 6" off the top which makes it look tidy.
DO NOT push the muck down into the body.
In the UK it is hard to overload an 8 wheeler with broken concrete due to bulking, but easy with wet clay :eek:
Take notice of what you are loading, think if you had to push a wheelbarrow of the stuff, would you heap it up as its light loamy soil or would you just take 3/4 load as its heavy clay ;)

As previously stated try and get yourself on a bench above the trucks but not too high, tracks at top of body level is ideal, remember you might need to sort the bench behind you while loading or between loads.
If the heap is toooo high when you start, dig yourself onto the bench and load a few trucks with the material that is in your way.

Just went and looked at Chris's vid and I would suggest if loading over the back start at front and work toward yourself you can see easier :IMO
Unless its lumps of concrete or ashphalt in which case its easier and gentler to place the first with the bucket right down inside the truck, cover the floor like this then add on top. :drinkup

Last edited:

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Just went and looked at Chris's vid and I would suggest if loading over the back start at front and work toward yourself you can see easier :IMO

We were dumping on an unlevel site so loading towards the rear helps prevent it from becoming top heavy while dumping.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
and when the drivers tick you off....and they will...hold the first bucket load of dirt 10 feet above the sideboards and let 'er rip

Haha

I had a truck driver once that would back up in a speed no one else could touch. I mean he back up faster than I could run and would hardly ever stop when I blew the horn, almost ran into me a couple of times, so from then on I had him back under the bucket that way I could slam the bucket down inside the bed before he backed into me... It was always interesting

It was also fun to stick the bucket down in the load of dirt, blow the horn and watch him try to figure out why the truck won't move. Although the plan backfired oneday when He threw it in granny gear and just about drug me off the dirt pile:eek:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
We were dumping on an unlevel site so loading towards the rear helps prevent it from becoming top heavy while dumping.

It wasn't a critisism of what you were doing, I guessed the truck was staying on site ;) It was just that up to that point I had only thought about loading over the side off a bench for road going trucks. :thumbsup :drinkup

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
It wasn't a critisism of what you were doing, I guessed the truck was staying on site ;) It was just that up to that point I had only thought about loading over the side off a bench for road going trucks. :thumbsup :drinkup

oh no offense was taken, we all have our ways of loading trucks. Yeah when their working offsite we tend to put a couple "extra" scoops on the truck:D

aosteelheader

Occupation
Operating Engineers Local 701
z
I'm not sure if you mean what makes the drivers angry or what gets to the operator loading trucks.

The things that bother me while loading trucks on a production show are.....
The trucks not stopping where you want them to. If they stop too far from the pile it slows down your cycle time a lot. Most of the time a quick chat to let them know whats expected of them is all thats needed to fix the problem.

If there's a dozer working with you, building benches, truck roads etc. it sure can screw things up if you don't have a good dozer hand.
Its nice to talk to the dozer operator in the morning and make a plan then check back with him later to see if it needs to be adjusted.
Its good if the dozer man builds the bench the right height for the size excavator your loading with. Its a pain to have the bench/pile so high the trucks can't get close enough even if they try.
I worked with a guy last summer that was the best I'd ever seen. He always kept everything set up plenty ahead of me. It sucks to have 10-12 haul trucks setting around waithing for someone to get a road going.

I think the thing that angers truck drivers, especially owner operators of on road trucks is the loader man being rough with the truck.
They also hate overload tickets. There's a fine line between the trucks leaving light and a few tons overloaded. With everything as high as it is now days an overload ticket can easily cost the owner of the truck more than the truck makes in a day. They're usually pretty good about heping you get the right amount of weight on there.

z_halen

Hey guys,

I'm really happy with the responses so far, i'm picking up heaps. I think i'm mainly loading articulated trucks for offsite, but i'm sure they may throw a couple of trucks & dogs in at me for moving around via the road on the site.

Yeah, i think some of the biggest points you guys are getting at, is to have a constant look at your work at keep checking where i'm at. Whether the truck is loaded too much on one side or how much mess i'm leaving on the ground and to plan ahead with the benching and where i'm going. I'm not sure how quick these trucks are going to be coming at me, i'd like to leave the area pretty tidy around me and not feel super rushed, at least for the first day, but i'm sure that won't happen. I guess i might have to have a talk with the super with how well they want it cleaned up afterwards or will they be sending a grader in afterwards any how.

So with those articulated trucks, best to load from the front or back or depends on situation??

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
check my thread homans all new hoecam and watdh my vids. they should help. if yer loading street trucks take yer time

Attachments

• 100_4987.jpg
    100_4987.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 843

curly

Occupation
loader operator
When I drove ADT we always loaded from the back so we could stage and get out quick as possible, but we were loading large rock too so that had a little to do with it.

Another thing not touched on is tarps. Be mindful of where it is if the truck has one and be sure you don't hit it or fill it with material, that'll really make them mad.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Hey guys,

I'm really happy with the responses so far, I'm picking up heaps. I think I'm mainly loading articulated trucks for off site, but I'm sure they may throw a couple of trucks & dogs in at me for moving around via the road on the site.

Yeah, i think some of the biggest points you guys are getting at, is to have a constant look at your work at keep checking where I'm at. Whether the truck is loaded too much on one side or how much mess I'm leaving on the ground and to plan ahead with the benching and where I'm going. I'm not sure how quick these trucks are going to be coming at me, I'd like to leave the area pretty tidy around me and not feel super rushed, at least for the first day, but I'm sure that won't happen. I guess i might have to have a talk with the super with how well they want it cleaned up afterwards or will they be sending a grader in afterwards any how.

So with those articulated trucks, best to load from the front or back or depends on situation??

OK, I must have missed that this is in the "excavator" forum when I read/replied this morning, so that makes helping easier.

I'm a bit confused though you're loading ADT's for off site use or do you mean offroad? I just want to make sure I'm reading what your saying, LOL.:drinkup

THe best/fastest way to load any trucks is, as everyone has said, bench loading (from above the truck). Preferable with the truck facing the fill, and you digging in that direction as well, if possible. Try to get it so you don't have to swing more than 90 degrees max. This allows you to sort of swing over the whole length of the bed and dump the bucket, whereas when you are rear loading you have a smaller window in your swing that you can actually dump. ( I don't think that makes any sense, but I can't think of a better way to say it... :beatsme ) Ideal bench height is the length of your stick or so the boom/housing pin is just above the height of the trucks sideboards.

IF the trucks are going to be traveling on a road with the public then you'll want to make sure that the load won't spill if the truck hits a bump. On the other hand if they are running on their own haul roads, production might out way that concern, in which cause, load 'em up.:cool2

Hope my help is help and not completely confusing:confused: What size hoe are you running and when do we get pictures?:usa