• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loading mini excavator on beavertail trailer

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Hey guys. Got a quick question The trailer we have to transport the 304CR we should be getting soon is a 21' gooseneck with a 5' beavertail and a 16' flat deck. I've loaded a Deere 27c ZTS on this trailer, but it was a little interesting. The load angle on this gooseneck is equivelent to a beavertail tag, basically the same trailer but with a gooseneck mainframe. Anyway, when loading, do you want to go up the beavertail with the bucket and stick pointing to the deck to keep weight way out front and to keep the tracks from lifting off the beavertail as it reaches the "turning point" or do you want to back onto the trailer with the bucket and stick down to the ground intself? The way I did it before was to load the machine backing on, that way it didn't feel like you were going to fall off the trailer backwards, this worked pretty well I think but I'd like a few opinions. Thanks for the help guys! Demoing a 304CR this week, will keep posted.

coopers

I think that driving up with that type of machine would be alright. I don't know the weight on that particular machine but when I load our 9,500 lbs. kubota 121-3 excavators on the trailer I just drive up facing forward or usually I'll swing the cab and have the hoe out to the side and I drive up "sideways" to make sure I line up alright on the trailer. Don't ever get tippy. The smaller kn 41's you have to be more careful with though.

Blake
WA

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Myself I keep the boom facing the truck and just keep adjusting for balance as I load. Once I get the machine on I swing around and have the boom out towards the back. When off loading I just drive off with the boom in front close to the ground to prevent falling too far forward. I really don't like the idea of backing up the ramps but that is just my opinion. Don't know if this is the best way but it works for me.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
Thanks for the ideas guys. I guess I'll just have to try it both ways and find out which way is easier.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Till you get used to the balance, travel with the bucket in front of you while loading and unloading. If you don't typically wear your seatbelt, make an exception when unloading. The first time I came off my trailer, I came really close to rolling right on my nose. I had the bucket pretty high and it was all I could do to stay in the seat. When I unload now, I keep the bucket a foot or two off the ground as I travel down the ramp. Just take your time for awhile and get used to the machine.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
CascadeScaper,

All excellent advice here. Go on facing the truck and get use to loading the machine. When unloading, really get into the habit of having the bucket no more than a foot off of the ground. I had an incident the winter unloading the 70sr Kobelco where once the tracks hit the beavertail area of the trailer the machine took off like a rocket. If it wasn't for the fact that I had the bucket only a foot above the ground, I would've planted it face first. I have fellow member donlang to thank for that bit of knowledge on unloading.

coopers

The larger excavators, like our 120's and up we all have the hoe down low and we load it the same way just because the trailer is steeper and when wet, steel tracks don't like to go where they should on some trailers. But the seatbelt comment was a good one. I once was almost was shot out face first of the cab of our 121 when I wasn't beeing too careful because I was grumpy. :rolleyes: so that is something to consider using at all times. Esepecially if you have problems with traction on wet or icy decks.

Blake
WA

soup99

Try This

When loading a compact excavator, swing the house around to face the trailer and drive the machine "forwards" (actually reverse) to make sure the tracks are lined up with the ramps. When you are straight with the trailer and right up to the ramps, swing the house back around so you are facing away from the trailer. Proceed to back up until the back of the tracks are a foot or two over the break-over point on the flat deck. Put your bucket on the ground between the ramps, lift the front of the machine up until it is level with the flat deck by pushing down on the boom, then run the stick out while using your foot pedals to reverse the tracks. This way, you never get the tippy feeling when it could go either way:eek: . It takes come coordination between your hands and feet, but if you're already able to run the excavator, you'll be fine.

Coastal

I've got a beaver tail deck on my truck, so its a fair bit higher and probably steeper than your trailer. I always go forwards with the boom stretched out over the deck of the truck, and pull it in as i get closer to the breakover. Keep the bucket close to the deck so when you breakover it doesnt come crashing down on the trailer.

On the way down I just keep the boom in tight to the cab with the bucket a foot or so off the ground keeping the weight as close to the center as possible so it doesnt want to tip forward.

And yes, always wear your seatbelt when doing this or anything for that matter!

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
I back mine onto the trailer with the boom facing away from the truck. I do however put my blade down to unload. I crawl to the edge of the deck, lower the blade onto the ramps and ease out so I don't do that tippy thing when the tracks pass the halfway point. After that, I raise the blade and crawl off.

thejdman04

Always BACK up the ramps. If you ever read all those "worthless" safety stickers stuck everywerhe, It will tell you to always keep the heavy end uphill. The heavy end is the one w/your counterweight, bobcats etc backwards. Also going backwards shouldt it be really slick, you can always push yourself w/the boom if your so inclinded, and you wont tip over cause the boom will hit the ground Dont ever drive up the ramps

jhill

I always load and unload with the blade facing the truck and the boom facing away. I also have the bucket a couple inches off the ground. I have done it with the boom both ways and this is the most comfortable for me.:thumbsup

Jerry

AlanF

Ive never run or loaded a mini...but everytime Ive loaded a full size hoe onto a lowbed the bucket and boom are always towards the tractor, and the drive sprocket end of the tracks go up first also. This advances the breakover point, and I never let the machine breakover on its own, always set it down using the boom. Im sure things are a little different with a mini, but the logistics are the same. Maybe you should get some longer ramps?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
Wow, this thread is super old. Since then, I've loaded 120's off lowboys, tilt decks, and ramp style tags with no problem. It's amazing what a little experience and just jumping on a machine and figuring things out will do for a guy. Granted, the first couple times I had someone helping me figure it out, but I can now safely and effectively load a full size hoe by myself.

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

When I load a trackhoe,200,320 345 210,I face the back of the trailer and walk it on boom in front of me.I dsont try to back on a hoe for any reason.Our trailer is a drop deck detatch 55 ton Blackhawk.I keep the bvucket low to the trailer deck for bettter weight lower down,and the tip forward isnt as bad either.The Cat 345 is big and heavy so I always have a second person to act as a ground guide when I load the brute,helps keep me straight on the trailer.:cool: