• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loading Mini-Ex onto truck

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Is the below information what you are looking for?

*Minimum Strength of Securement System (DIVISION 3, Section 10)
• The aggregate working load limit of the cargo securement system used to secure an
article or group of articles of cargo on or within a vehicle shall be not less than 50% of
the weight of the article or total weight of the group.
• “Aggregate working load limit†is the sum of One-half of the working load limit for each
end section of a tiedown that is attached to an anchor point.

Thats part of it. What I'm talking about is on Page 58 here:

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/SectionCLRGDec2004.pdf

Grader4me

Thats part of it. What I'm talking about is on Page 58 here:

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/SectionCLRGDec2004.pdf

That is about all we have in our regulations as near as I can tell. That is why I mentioned in my earlier post about the detail in your regulations. It is spread out, but seems to cover every angle. As well pictures are worth a thousand words so to speak.
Our regulations are clear as far as some things go, example number of tie downs etc, but vague in areas such as anchor points on equipment etc.

Good discussion...I see you changed you avatar...you are not going to show the "accessories" are you?:)

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
That is about all we have in our regulations as near as I can tell. That is why I mentioned in my earlier post about the detail in your regulations. It is spread out, but seems to cover every angle. As well pictures are worth a thousand words so to speak.
Our regulations are clear as far as some things go, example number of tie downs etc, but vague in areas such as anchor points on equipment etc.

Good discussion...I see you changed you avatar...you are not going to show the "accessories" are you?:)

It takes some reading to get it together...and having had some experience writing equipment operation manuals, its probably impossible to cover all angles and not have some fragmentation without lots of repetition...:confused:

I like the avatar:D :D

imjustdave

chains and what not....

ok so you have a 11K lbs machine on a trailer that weighs 3K lbs, if you roll over your really just holding the trailer on the machine..... :p

Hendrik

For Ex's 3.5 tonnes and less we use one pin per ramp. For Ex's 4 tonnes and over we use two pins per ramp......:confused: for Excavators between 3.5 and 4 tonnes ...well ....we don't have one:confused:

Anyway, the back of the dump bed is channel or RHS. The pin is drilled right through from top to bottom and a 11/16 lynch pin is shot through the ends of the pins so they wont come out. No regs for chains.

The excavator is not lashed in the dump bed. From what I have gathered on this forum; It would appear we have similar binding guidelines for equipment on flat decks to what most of you guys talk about. I have not been able to find anything specific in our regs about machines inside the dump body. You could safely assume that the same guidlines would apply (I expect) but over 40 to 50 operators in my area I know of none that secure a skid or a mini inside the dump bed. I don't know wether this is a grey area....there is some other regs or whatever but I have been pulled over by the heavies with the skid in the back of the 9 tonner and nothing has ever been said. A trip down the freeway in the morning will pass at least a dozen skids in six wheelers with not one of them chained.

That all said and having been operating that way for years I'm thinking of fitting two D rings in the dump body and putting two binders X to the back of the machine with the blade against the head board. Ultimatley the regs and the actual legislation state that it is the drivers responsibility to ensure a load is properly secured.
I use a couple of half inch bolts to secure my ramps to the ute tray. Have drilled 8 holes in the tray so I can load the ex in the middle, to the side next to the track barrow and can un/load from either side if I feel the need, such as pulling up next to a set of stairs and then use the ramps to get it over the stairs.
I use a couple 2500kg ratchet straps to secure the ex and barrow, with the bucket in the barrow bin. I will take some pics next time I am loading the machines.
Also I think the law recently changed and the boss is now also liable if a worker does not secure the load properly.

Iron Horse

Either things have changed in the last couple of years , or it is the interpretation of the inspector at the scene whether a machine should be secured in a dump body . I have been told , very sternly that they must be secured . The reason , the inspector argued is that even if the truck tips over , the machine MUST stay with the truck and not become a missile or traffic hazard itself .

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Either things have changed in the last couple of years , or it is the interpretation of the inspector at the scene whether a machine should be secured in a dump body .

IH - The inspector may be carrying over blanket rules from other situations. Wether he is right or wrong the rules are as stated in the National Transport Guidelines in the link I posted earlier. I've been pulled by the Heavies twice in the last couple of weeks and they have not said anything about the mini.....but they did chip me about the seat covers:confused: I told them the seat cover was just like the me old shorts (backside worn out:D) and invited them to have a look;).....NSU them female coppers...(No sense of Humour):(

Iron Horse

I can just imagine the stone face look you got from that one .

I started arguing the point with the inspector , he started rolling his pen on his sleeve with the palm of his hand . I asked him what he was doing ? He said , warming up the ink . Do you want to keep agruing the point ? :cool2