• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

JGibson

You can have that Doosan. Ran an excavator for about an hour this summer. That cab, for me, is awful. Control levers way to low, and way to close to my knees. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm 6'4" and 280 lbs. Thought the machine operated fair, not much power in the stick.

I can't say anything about this machine, it isn't mine haha, saw it from the road and went in to check it out. I would rather have a case then one of these doosans but I don't mind them. We have a good dealer around here and we rent a lot of doosan machines from them. They hold up, they aren't the best machine on the market but for the price they aren't bad.

Shimmy1

I can't say anything about this machine, it isn't mine haha, saw it from the road and went in to check it out. I would rather have a case then one of these doosans but I don't mind them. We have a good dealer around here and we rent a lot of doosan machines from them. They hold up, they aren't the best machine on the market but for the price they aren't bad.

Ya buddy. I have a Case 210C. I've ran most of them out there, I prefer Case hydraulics. Cat builds a good one, I just can't justify extra costs involved in owning a Cat. Does Case even build a road builder? I suppose it would be white, ha. Just like if you want a Deere, it'll be orange.

JGibson

Case's are good excavators, we run mostly Link Belt and love them. Tried cats, and don't like the new E series much. Case doesn't build forestry equipment, but Link Belt does. Those Link Belt road builders are great machines. How is the fuel economy on the 210? We are looking at getting a 235X3

Shimmy1

I've had a few on here refuse to believe it, but if you can stand to run it in auto mode, I've gone almost 40 hrs on a tank of fuel cleaning ditch. Not the heaviest work, but nowhere near the lightest either. For a 50,000 lb hoe, I don't think any other brand will run as cheap. But, turn it up all the way and you will notice the fuel burned.

Shimmy1

The only thing that is a bona fide P.I.T.A. is the DPF. I've been kind of fussy, I will not interrupt it, and I always pay attention to where the gauge is, so if it's cold out, and it's getting close to a regen, I'll just leave the engine throttled up until it gets to it and done. I've put 670 hrs on it without an interrupted, failed, or manual regen.

kiwi450x

And the second question would be: Why the hell didn't they give it a clean up be for putting it on the market?? Even a half hearted clean would have been an improvement.

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
even with the things already said that is still a very cool machine. that boom and grapple are very cool with the high rise cab you could make sum nice big piles and load or unload trucks in a breeze. I would love to try that thing out.

Chopper95

It's quite the piece, you don't see triple piece booms on logging equipment that often, or watch towers for cab risers :D

Either way, I bet that thing has some reach on it! Would be fun to play with for a few hours.

Chopper95

Well after going through about 40 pages on this thread, I realized what I was looking for was on page one ... felt like a pretty big dummy :rolleyes:

Anyways...

Was curious to see if this piece ever got turned into a log loader or if it kept on building roads? Blows my mind that machines this big can stomp around the woods and be productive to a degree, still a cool piece three or four years later! :cool2

Komatsu PC1100 (1).jpg
Komatsu PC1100 (2).jpg
Komatsu PC1100.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!

Chopper95

Found this the other day and thought it was worth sharing.

Don't know if any of you are operating up in this area or have maybe seen this machine, but Ainsworth Lumber out of Grande Prairie, Alberta has been running a John Deere 800C as a log loader for the past eleven years and it still looks like it's going strong.

JD 800C (3).jpg

The piece has a lot of neat features on it; undercarriage was stretched to be 20ft by 20ft, has double AC & heating units/ pressurized cab, I think the reach is right around 50ft, grapple is a four cord capacity and pieces are about 16ft long generally - lots more, can read about it in the linked article. http://www.forestnet.com/archives/Dec_Jan_03/millyard_equipment.htm

JD 800C (1).jpg
JD 800C (2).jpg
JD 800C.jpg

Retail price at the time was $1.5 million for the 800 chassis and I think a 600 chassis option was available; the mill claims it's the biggest log loader in operation to date... not sure if that's true or not, but an 800 is a might big machine.

I actually contacted the author of the article to see if he had any other pictures, but they were shot using film and he threw them out a number of years ago :bash I've done my best to cut a few from the YouTube video, but the smaller ones are originals from when the machine was new. The video is worth watching too!

[video=youtube;Yxo8acP7eJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxo8acP7eJE&list=LLblCWHCLFMRBMV3yWSjoJRA&index=1[/video]

hoechucker

Got put on deck duty this last week got to run this thing.I haven't seen one on here so I thought I'd put one on 345c with what I'm guessing is at least a 50' jewel boom and grapple, with expanding track frame and elevator cab.

Attachments

• IMG_20150107_083343_856.jpg
    IMG_20150107_083343_856.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,204

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
that 800 is a nice machine. I run and do similar work with a liebherr 904 and I must say I would love to operate a giant one like that.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
Well after going through about 40 pages on this thread, I realized what I was looking for was on page one ... felt like a pretty big dummy :rolleyes:

Anyways...

Was curious to see if this piece ever got turned into a log loader or if it kept on building roads? Blows my mind that machines this big can stomp around the woods and be productive to a degree, still a cool piece three or four years later! :cool2

View attachment 128932
View attachment 128933
View attachment 128934

Happy New Year everyone!

It has become a Log Loader. Working daily.

Waycon

Occupation
I design things.
13177563_1061340887258561_677727466386236211_n_zps5loc07cc.jpg
-9%20and%20HX%20forestry%20cab_zpsfhaqmnht.jpg
hx%20tilt%20cab_zpsivuxilq5.jpg
background_zpsdx5ozlnh.jpg
12540860_425025031027359_6104207986287102162_n_zpsb6k95mwj.jpg
735%20010_zpso7emczur.jpg
1_zps1eiivaly.jpg
004_zpshpdbzovu.jpg
image4_zpshmazukd5.jpeg

...some of the recent conversions that have gone through the shop.

Waycon

Occupation
I design things.
o_O Well that didn't work for very long. Is there a way to edit or delete a post? And is there a way to upload images direct to this forum in a post?

mitch504

You can only edit posts for an hour, but if you click the "upload a file" button, you can put pics directly on HEF.

I was going to ask about something in one of those pics, but I can't remember what.