• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loader Valve Question

shellman14315

Out of the blue yesterday, my loader valve (on my 580B) began acting up, I think? When I pull the valve back to lift, the loader goes up, but when I let go of the valve handle, it does not return and stop the loader from going up. I must manually push the valve back to neutral. It does the same thing going down. Normally when I let go, it automatically returns to neutral.

Is this something to do with the float detent or lift spool I read about in the manual. Is it something i can just correct with a tap of the valve? Could it be low fluid? Any ideas. The other hydraulics on the hoe and tilt work fine.

Thanks
Cory

Haul-Pak

Well I never worked on a 580B. Sound's like the Spool return Spings have broken. That's if the 580B has spool return spring's? Normally two spring's on one end of the Spool?

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Well I never worked on a 580B. Sound's like the Spool return Spings have broken. That's if the 580B has spool return spring's? Normally two spring's on one end of the Spool?

either the springs or the retainer cups ,,,,,, sounds like on oppisite end of handle

Thinking same thing... but it seems odd both would let go at the same time??
Maybe not though... stranger things have happened.

Could you have one return spring, that both pushes and pulls??
Any binding of valve handle??

OCR

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
typically, on a manual operated valve, the centering spring is located opposite end of where the lever/linkage attaches to the spool. it may have some trash stuck in it between the bore and spool. (cylinder packing,parts of a filter coming apart,etc...)

If the spool moves with very little effort, i would not think that there is trash in the bore, and it is probably a centering spring or spool end cap issue.

If the spool requires some effort, it may be debris between the bore and spool and making it stick and the spring does not have enough force to overcome the sticking spool. also a cracked valve will sometimes cause a sticking valve. multiple section valves that use tie bolts going through them need to be torqued to specs and in the correct order or they will stick also.