• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

loader stalls going up a slight slope, any ideas why?

parttimefarmer

I am not a mechanic.
Have a old 910E Cat loader 7000 hours not used much, with a power shift transmission with 4 forward and 3 reverse gears.
Single stage, single phase torque converter.
works great but has started to bogg down traveling up a slope say a 25 degree slope with a 1,000 load in the bucket.
When beginning to climb the slope it will start up it for 15 feet (maybe forward momentum) then it will slow and then stop forward movement
and want to die//kill the engine, I have to let it idle for a moment then give it power it will then climb the slope.
Fluid levels are ok.
Any ideas?

Delmer

Look at the exhaust, if you don't see smoke (consistent grey/black) when the engine is slowing then look for fuel problems. Filter, screen, pickup, plugged???

Bigbert

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Look at the exhaust, if you don't see smoke (consistent grey/black) when the engine is slowing then look for fuel problems. Filter, screen, pickup, plugged???

Hello parttimefarmer,

fully agree with Delmer. It is not converter or transmission creating issues. As the engine seems to die/stall the issue must be around engine or PTO pumps.

Also check fuel tank for proper bleeding.

br

Bigbert

msllc

Replace your air & fuel filters. Catch up your basic maintenance items first, including greasing all joints & fittings..

parttimefarmer

I have changed the fuel filters they were clean.
I noticed in the CAT book on this engine that there is a fuel filter just past the fuel primer manual pump that goes into the governor, I never changed that filter, did not know it was there, looked for it found out it was missing ,
former owner must have not replaced it.
Any possibility that something got into the governor and is preventing the governor opening up when the engine demands more fuel?
I can manually move the governor linkage to wide open with no resistant with engine not running. Did not try it with engine running.
Bigbert what do you mean by PTO pumps, I am thinking PTO pump like on side of a truck transmission for dump box, but I think that's not what you are referring to correct?
Any other comments any one????

Delmer

So there's not enough smoke and we're going with a fuel problem instead of a load problem? If it's stalling the engine with too much drag, then there will be smoke. Anything's possible, but most likely the fuel is blocked, and or there's air getting sucked in.

Just because the filters were clean, doesn't mean the tank, or lines, or some fitting isn't blocked. I would either substitute a temporary tank to run it off for testing purposes, or take apart every fitting from tank to injection pump, or tee in a pressure/vacuum gauge and see what the fuel pressure does when it stalls.

parttimefarmer

So there's not enough smoke and we're going with a fuel problem instead of a load problem? If it's stalling the engine with too much drag, then there will be smoke. Anything's possible, but most likely the fuel is blocked, and or there's air getting sucked in.

Just because the filters were clean, doesn't mean the tank, or lines, or some fitting isn't blocked. I would either substitute a temporary tank to run it off for testing purposes, or take apart every fitting from tank to injection pump, or tee in a pressure/vacuum gauge and see what the fuel pressure does when it stalls.

Well I changed the fuel filters. Found out the filter from primer pump to governor was missing.
Ran the engine for a while and went for a ride, had an employee drive it up a slope while I looked at the fuel linkage in the engine compartment while walking along side the loader going up the slope.
With the foot throttle all the way to the floor the engine did not fail/bog down. another time with the foot throttle not all the way down to the floor the engine did not bog down either.
So Its working now, don't understand what had happened before?

parttimefarmer

It is fixed.
I took it to the local Caterpillar Dealer.
They found one problem with the seals of the injectors where they screw into the block, some air got in while operating.
They did install a clear line between return line and fuel tank. Noticed air in fuel line that led them to injectors.
I also had them check the pressure relief valve for lift arms and bucket Z bar.
Lift arms where turned down, mechanic corrected to factory specs. What a difference in loader performance.
Engine runs correctly now no stalling, works wonderfully, not bad for an old machine.
Thank you everyone who helped with this problem, it is greatly appreciated.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know this is running good now but just trying to understand what is being said.
Any Chance of a full serial number? That would let me and others see if SIS has information on this machine to let us fully understand how it is configured.