• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loader control question?? which is better?

Spanrz

Occupation
Diesel Fitter
Here's the airplane steering wheel ,as I call it. Cat 980G.

I see that's a 980G series I.

That's called "command control" steering, it comes with "electro-hydraulic" controls (i.e has finger touch controls which are electrically operated and the electric controls the hydraulics)

Standard steering wheel machines have pilot controls (hydraulic controlled levers)

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
For me, I would take the joystick every time. It gives you constant control over the bucket which in turn speeds up your operation. I haven't operated the newer machines with the pilot controls to compare, but we have had both twin stick machines and joystick machines over the years. The first joy stick ( perhaps I should say, single lever control) machines we had, were two Ford A64 loaders and although they were never a real popular loader, they were easy to operate and did well by us. Our Liebherr 541 loader has a joy stick with all the controls on it and it is absolutely brilliant to operate.

Rn'R.

Last edited:

XL4300X

My 930G is single joystick with detent for raise, float, dump, and self level. It also has the third valve on the top right side and a shifter on the top left side. The machine also has a column shifter. I go back and forth using both, use the joystick shifter for loading, makes loading quick and efficient. Takes me less than two minutes to load a triaxle fully heaped, I love it.

Clayton M

i ran the Cat's with the joystick for a while and then moved into a Volvo with the 2-lever controls. The Lever controls are much easier because instead of moving your whole arm to move the joysticks you can just move your fingertips.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
gotta have two levers. i feel they grade and load better and they seem to be less rough on the wrist.
i feel the 953 b had the best feel for grading.

Loaderman380

Occupation
Operator for an underground utility company
It's all a matter of personal preference. I have run them all, from the 2ft. long levers, the pilot valve, eh, and single lever. I could make any of them do what I needed to. However I do prefer the 2 stick controls, maybe because that's what I started on.

cummins05

The best loader i ever ran was a two stick komatsu WA500 and WA 600. The worst was a ford A 64. With a single 3 foot lever that you have to move two feet in any direction to get the bucket or booms to move.