• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loader and/or Backhoe Bucket Extension for Mucking/Dozing Out Pond Sludge

Scout_1969

Task/Conditions:

Clean sludge out of small 1/4 ac pond

Need to move sludge approx. 30' to dry out pond for reworking

Pond is mostly drained

Bottom is solid

Want to speed up drying time

Can access from banks and in perimeter of pond, maybe 1/3

Machine:

2wd JD 310B w/ 4in1 bucket chains for rear tires

Plan:

Access pond inside

Move sludge to area that can be dipped out with backhoe

Question/Thoughts:

Would like to have an extension so machine can stay in dryer/firmer soil and push sludge to area to dip out

Have an idea of maybe fabricating something for the front 4n1 to grip on, like out of old pressure treated wood, pine logs?? Sort of like a small pickup truck frame with a dozer blade made of scrap 2x8?

Prefer to work with framing lumber or maybe trees because I have some (don't have much steel and can't weld + $$$)

Has anyone made a loader and/or backhoe bucket extension for light grading/dozing type work like this?

Pictures would be great

Thanks.

Scout_1969

I wouldn't mind doing a little at a time.

The perimeter inside for about 15-20' is firm

the sludge is only about 6" max.

Thx

Delmer

I'd say your best bet would be to windrow the muck until the bottom dries enough to get in there. If the bottom is as solid as you say, and you know how to walk the backhoe, and you have some timber handy, you can walk a backhoe out of quite a mess if you have to.

That being said, I can't imagine the pond bottom drying out before next August.