• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lister Diesel Question pertaining to lubrication !!

Cat_man320

A good friend of mine bought on an old 3 cylinder Lister for a small saw mill he got . When he bought it , it was missing the gear on the crank which is mated to the cam gear . I acquired a excellent used gear and installed it . the engine runs excellent. When the engine is running , it is squirting oil out through a hole in a small screw that is screwed into the crankshaft . My questions are : Are the gears in the drivetrain (ie: cam gear , governor, idlers, crank gear , oil pump gear and others lubricated by the oil splash from this little orifice onto the back cover ? Or , are all these gears lubricated by the bottom gear which is in the base pan and the oil is brought up from the base by the rotation of the gears ? Or, is it a combination of both . I have to make a back cover for the engine as there was a generator bolted to the Lister. Do I need to make an oil deflection plate to direct oil back onto the gears rather than just dripping down the back cover into the base? I do not know the model of the Lister , it is about 33 hp and from pics I've looked at , it may be an HR3 Lister . Thank you for any help. I do not want my friend to destroy the engine because of oil starve or something that needs to be done .