• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

line boring

lgammon

we bought a 277b and apparently the last owners never owned a grease gun. and the bucket pins are bad sloppy, does any one know about pricing of welding up and boring these out? or borring and bushing them?

quackattak

should not be to bad if its just bucket pins, prob around 1000.00-1500.00. I had Cat do all boom pins on a 980c and ended up with a 24,000 bill, now I own a line boring kit. I like boring out and installing bushings, that way you can just replace bushings and not go thru the line boring hassle. Line boring is not really hard work just time consuming, you might check local machine shops with cheaper hourly rate than dealer. Around here no one other than dealer had boring machine.

Iron@Dirt

we bought a 277b and apparently the last owners never owned a grease gun. and the bucket pins are bad sloppy, does any one know about pricing of welding up and boring these out? or borring and bushing them?

quackattak is probably good on price. I prefer bore and sleeve also. Line boring may not be hard, but you can end up in some real tight spots. If you were closer to cajun country I would get you fixed up. I started off years back useing a mag drill, you might could do your self, later I made my own gear box and parts.

Last edited:

markmc60

quackattak is probably good on price. I prefer bore and sleeve also. Line boring may not be hard, but you can end up in some real tight spots. If you were closer to cajun country I would get you fixed up. I started off years back useing a mag drill, you might could do your self, later I made my own gear box and parts.

markmc60

I sure would like to get all the information I could to make my own line boring machine. I have a John Deere tractor I need to line bore the front axle pivot. I can get a boring shaft, I can do the bearings, just need a drive motor.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A new machine I owned had factory fitted composite bushes that didn't last 1000 hours. I was sent new bushes that looked like a serrated roll pin. Even though the holes they went into were slightly out of round those bushes never moved and were still good when the machine was sold 5000 hours later.
I'm dammed if I can remember what they were called and they did away with the need to linebore.

markmc60

Have you taken it apart? Maybe your bushing bores are ok?
Of course it’s apart. The 1.6” round hole is over 2” oval. The top half of the bushing is gone both pivot pins front and rear are worn. No bushing in the world will fix this with some welding or expand the hole to a round 2” and sleeve it. Which is the plan.

Welder Dave

Split tension bushings. I used them to repair the swing post pivots on my backhoe. I also used Loctite 660 for slight gaps on the bores. You could probably weld the ovaled part of the bores and grind them close enough split tension bushings would work. The S T bushings typically don't require grease either. Curious why they aren't used more. They're easy to install and don't require a perfectly round hole.

chidog

I have in the past just air arc or cut off the bushing ring and welded new ones on with the proper bore size using the pin to help align the bores, especially for a bucket.