• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Line Boring

Swamp rat

I was interested in finding out if anyone has tryed making their own Line Bore machine for bushings on a trackhoe ? I have a 220 Komat. that is needing to have the boom bushings at the bucket reworked. Any info would be appreciated.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I hav' nt tried yet!! but i am really thinking about it for my next one! A have one at the minute and think i could make one of my own, the way i want it quite cheap! Il post some pictures of mine later!

Komatsu 150

There has been a thread on that using pillow block bearings and a drive motor for a plumber's pipe thread machine I believe. I don't know where to find it, sorry.

minime

A cheap way to line-bore loader frames dipper arms etc, is use a decent pedestal magnetic drill with a pillow block and bearing to support the boring bar at the other end and away you go, with the travel of 100mm + on you mag drill you should have plenty of travel to do in-situ line boring

Digger Dan

I worked as a helper for a line boring guy for awhile in my youth and he had made his own rig instead of using a commercial one.
One thing I would recommend is to get yourself a high-end level for set-up.
I remember one job we worked on where the boom arm on a big cat had a small twist in it and the bucket would not sit level to the ground so we line bored the bucket pin to match the bend in the arm.
I thought that was a very cool fix...

gatorguy

Occupation
Farmer and Equipment Operator
The guys that came and line bored my stick today were using a homemade machine with pillow block bearings and a length of cylinder rod that had been turned into a boring rod.

I regret not taking pictures now but looked like a fairly simple build.

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
I made my own from parts several years ago. got a boring bar and cones from a company that made boring machines. pillow blocks, ect... and all thread from grainger. had an adapter made at the local machine shop. had a low speed right angle to drive it already. welder and misc steel around the shop. worked pretty darn well and was a ton cheaper then having some one come out and do it.