• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Line boring IH 175B lower bucket bushes

john_au

I uploaded this video for reference if anyone has the same problem of elongated bushes after a long time of abuse
this worked well for us, we built this rig pretty cheap compared with getting someone to come a line bore on site
took us around a day to bore with setting up and around a day to 2 to build

http://youtu.be/iGsuFF9YOHs

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
Great job on the line boring machine. Neccesity is the mother of invention. The only thing I would suggest is adding two more bearings on the outside of the bushing bores to keep the bar from deflecting when it is cutting. Those bars will deflect more than you think. There is a book and instructions from a guy in Santa Rosa Ca. that covers what you built there. His book and instructions help people build there own boring bar setups. Anyway great work.

john_au

Great job on the line boring machine. Neccesity is the mother of invention. The only thing I would suggest is adding two more bearings on the outside of the bushing bores to keep the bar from deflecting when it is cutting. Those bars will deflect more than you think. There is a book and instructions from a guy in Santa Rosa Ca. that covers what you built there. His book and instructions help people build there own boring bar setups. Anyway great work.

Thanks for the info
MK2 will have bearings both sides of the bushes we are setting up for the bucket justneed to turn up some centering bushes
to get started and make the new bushes from 10-45 steel then hardering them
John

john_au

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I like it, simple and works, the beer does add a finishing touch, would be on any slow tedious job I do as well!!

john_au

Bucket update

We replaced some of the pins in the arms as well all out of 10-45 steel then heat treated them before installation
forgot to get a photo of them at 800 deg C coming out of the oven and glowing under water

lower pins and bushes installed waiting for the bucket we plated the bottom of the arms where it was worn away

plating lower bucket bushes supports

Attachments

• IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 519
  • IMAG0242[1].jpg
    IMAG0242[1].jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMAG0209.jpg
    IMAG0209.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 511

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
john you can make up auto feed ,on the gearbox shaft facing the rear make up bushing with a lug to engage a sprocket with a nut to turn the threaded bar you are using to feed drive head,it will only move forwould when the lug in gauge the sprocket