• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Line Boring drives

pumkinhead

what are the pros and cons of a through bar drive like climax vs pros and cons of end of bar drive like York. i have only used climax drives and am wondering if theirs any benefit to having a "york" style drive that has to be mounted on the end of the bar? the only benefit i can think of is you don't have the cut a key when making bars.

Zewnten

I know the York will do face build up, very useful. Couldn't find any demonstrations of the Climax doing that

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I too have a older Climax, (BB-1149) and is hydraulic drive w/2.250" bar. I have made adapters to drive both a 1.750", and 1.250" bar. It works well but everything is overpriced so mostly make my own tooling. I've only borrowed an electric end drive bar machine and it too worked well and was much easier to set up being much lighter in weight.

Climax does make a facing head for their machines also. I've borrowed one as can't justify to purchase for the amount of use it would get. I use a BoreTech BOA-308i welding machine for face build up and a facing head to machine back down to proper dimension.

I use the hydraulic power unit more in the shop for testing and running hydraulics than driving the boring machine. Variable speed and pressure come in handy for several things.

pumkinhead

Also don't have a facing head(would like to get one) and I don't have a trammel for are boretech, so I just weld faces up by hand and cut them by manually advancing the cutter. It's pain to do any mobile work having to load hpu and 3phase generator plus everything else and would like to add an electric unit for mobile use. I could get an electric end of bar unit for a fraction of what a climax electric drive and feed unit would cost.

1693TA

Occupation
Also don't have a facing head(would like to get one) and I don't have a trammel for are boretech, so I just weld faces up by hand and cut them by manually advancing the cutter. It's pain to do any mobile work having to load hpu and 3phase generator plus everything else and would like to add an electric unit for mobile use. I could get an electric end of bar unit for a fraction of what a climax electric drive and feed unit would cost.
What model unit do you have? Everything by Climax is exorbitant in price so replicating is order of the day for me when needing anything.

My HDU is 240VAC single phase. It is from th 80's and no plastic at all so very heavy to both set up, and use. It won't even think of stalling out during a cut neither.

pumkinhead

Bb5000, I got a quote from climax for just the electric drive and controller and it's fairly pricey(could probably diy a Milwaukee or Eibenstock drive fairly easy).

1693TA

Occupation
Bb5000, I got a quote from climax for just the electric drive and controller and it's fairly pricey(could probably diy a Milwaukee or Eibenstock drive fairly easy).
I believe Eibenstock has a direct fit drive for the setup. IIRC my manual lists an electric conversion, but of course it's Climax branded. Mine and the BB-5000 are basically the same thing except mine has nothing right angle to it but is straight through. The gearbox is totally different but they go by the same model number for some reason.

Here is the only short blurb on my model I could find:

pumkinhead

does any one have experience with a set up like that? climax uses self alighting bearings that are also adjustable after you weld the mount on. I would imagine with straight bearings and no adjustment after the mount has been welded you may get your self in a bind