• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

lightning strike

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
we had a huge thunderstorm with heaps of lightning last monday night. this tree is just down the road from home, i was sitting on the front steps watching the lightning when it hit the tree, made me sit up and take notice, a bit scary, glad it did not hit me, i dont think i wouls look too good with that big split in my body.

Attachments

• P1040384.jpg
    P1040384.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,091
  • P1040386.jpg
    P1040386.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,090

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
and i challenge you to block the bugger and hand split it for firewood :Banghead

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Now if we could just figure out how to aim them at the tree huggers we could cull the herd a little.

mouse

Occupation
would be in trouble from the council if i touch it.

i suspect the council will not hesitate in allowing you to drop it.

or you could've done it at the time claiming the bugger was smouldering and therefore a fire risk...

ever tried splitting timber that's been struck by lightning?? (i'll give you a hint, dont use a block buster :cool2)

why do the tree huggers insist on using timber in their houses??

Last edited:

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
ever tried splitting timber that's been struck by lightning?? (i'll give you a hint, dont use a block buster :cool2)

I'll have to plead ignorance on that mouse, what effect does lightning have on the timber? I can only assume that maybe it cooks the tree and hardens the timber.

Rn'R.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
i suspect the council will not hesitate in allowing you to drop it.

or you could've done it at the time claiming the bugger was smouldering and therefore a fire risk...

why do the tree huggers insist on using timber in their houses??

the council inspectors have a pic of me in their office that they throw darts at over an alleged illegal clearing incident at my place a couple of years ago so i am not going near the lightning tree.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
the council inspectors have a pic of me in their office that they throw darts at over an alleged illegal clearing incident at my place a couple of years ago so i am not going near the lightning tree.

LOL - "Better to ask forgiveness than permission":cool2

mouse

Occupation
I'll have to plead ignorance on that mouse, what effect does lightning have on the timber?

makes it just about useless as firewood cause it doesn't burn well.

the grain goes ape, imagine placing your palms together and intertwiniing your fingers - that is pretty much what the grain is like and it makes for an absolute bugger to split.

i lopped one last year for firewood, only way i could split the thing at all was with a hydraulic log splitter. the tree had been dead for about 7 years and was still standing, the firewood would eventually burn in a slow combustion but would smoke in an open fireplace.

a blockbuster just bounces of it, barely leaves a mark.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
makes it just about useless as firewood cause it doesn't burn well.

the grain goes ape, imagine placing your palms together and intertwiniing your fingers - that is pretty much what the grain is like and it makes for an absolute bugger to split.

i lopped one last year for firewood, only way i could split the thing at all was with a hydraulic log splitter. the tree had been dead for about 7 years and was still standing, the firewood would eventually burn in a slow combustion but would smoke in an open fireplace.

a blockbuster just bounces of it, barely leaves a mark.

Thanks, mouse, I never knew that. There has been the odd tree here split down the middle with lightning, I will take more notice if I find another one.

Rn'R.