• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lifting with I beams

Brushinfool

I have been moving alot of trees lately. Am currently moving a 144" box 55000 lbs. (I sub out crane work)
Up until now I have been lifting the boxes with two heavy web slings or cable rigged under the box and positioned on "skids". Ive done 120" (40000 lbs) boxes like this but get really nervous watching the bottom of the box bulge out and the sides are under a great deal of "pinch" preassure (see photos)

I would like to place two I Beams under the box and lift off them instead. Beams would need to be about 12' long to avoid pinching the box. Anyone know how heavy and of what dimention I beam wou suppport this kind of load. I would generally go way overkill in this department but the beams must be managable by hand and not too tall so as to allow placement under the box. Id like to go with wide flange beams so they dont try to roll when lifting.

Photos are of a 10' boxed oak being lifted, A guy "bottom boxing"
And a closeup of the box under load

Attachments

• 14 foot oak move.JPG
    14 foot oak move.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 1,245
  • a day at the office web.JPG
    a day at the office web.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,254
  • really big oak move web.JPG
    really big oak move web.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,245

Brushinfool

Just to follow up:

Looking for an engineering opinion or link to a resource that could provide
specs on material described.
I am amazed that the crane outfits around here will show up and tug on anything - no questions asked. Dont get me wrong, great guys, but i feel its my responsibillity to engineer and rig the lift properly.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
That's pretty cool work ..looks interesting ..Id be the first one to tug on it ...more like haul :drinkup
Fine craftsmanship on the wood work!!

Id keep it simple

You really only need a back bone in the bottom and top of your box ..

It can be done and you don't have to lift off it ..
Two steel tubes ..8-10 square..for the bottom ..through these you will thread the slings..
Get a softener's welded up to insert in the ends so you don't tear into the wall or screw up the choker

some H beam with a V in each end over the top of the box .. The slings will rest in the V's as you tighten the load..In the web you'll have a hole to mount in a 1" Shackle to make sure the sling stays into the V ..just as a secondary redundancy so the beam doesn't become dislodged..or fly away in the event that something moves ..tree's are unpredictable enough..so double up

As you lift ..the slings are in the tubes ..the beams are setting on the load keeping pressure of the ends ..the tubes will support the bottom ..

You'll still have to do all the other work ..but your box wont buckle

Only thing I would suggest after that to move the system along and reduce aggravation is get the slings in the tubes and leave them there..make sure they are long enough to shackle into the additional rigging above the beams
That pretty taper in your crate will have to go ..She's all square straight walls on the ends..

At this point in the Game your not lifting off the steel ..merely going around the steel with certified rigging..

40,000 to 55,000lb lifts ..Brother ..yor gonna be hard pressed to find a single material to move around by hand..especially in a lifting beam..often heavier than a spreader beam of the same capacity..

Hopefully ..the aforementioned gives you a little more insight and more ideas ..to make it safeand easy..with no damage ..

Last edited:

Brushinfool

Thanks Liebherr, great advise!

BTW thats a Liebherr 100 Ton on the other end of those slings, amazing machine in that it will go anywhere and get into places I can barely get my pickup to.
Has saved me alot of $ on not having to bring in bigger machines

Thanks.
Ill post a pic. of the lift in a few weeks when it happens.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Hope it works out for you. Take your time ..If you get the same operator ..wouldnt hurt to drop by with a few drawings or pictures of what you propose and get his take on it ..before you go out there

The tube your looking for is known as HSS tube

Hollow Structural Section

That carrier under the crane is relativly unique to that crane ..its made more so to go of road ..very versatile unit ..and a fantastic picker ..no screaming engines to make it go ..

Copenhagen

Jeez, around here, we just cut the trees down and haul em out.

Those must be some special trees.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
LOL..
There was a job some friends of mine were on ..a 200t Sennebogen and a AC500 Demag to move a bunch of tree's ..Going green has a price and that bill was huge..

Brushinfool

I agree, it would be cheaper to cut down the tree and replace it with a similar one when the project is done, or better still, grow a new one. In this part of the country the "green" folks still rule and can afford to **** away money (other peoples money) to sleep with a clear concience at night.

Who am I to complain, as long as the check clears.... Until I drive home on a sad excuse for a highway that hasnt been maintained in ten years for lack of county funds. and I havnt paid enough heavy vehicle taxes this year?

Anyway, a few more shots of the Liebeherr at work:

Lining up to pick some agave plants. Some guy paid alot of $ for these agaves, 2000 lbs. ea. (paid about a dollar a pound for them), 15 total!!!

Liebeherr doin' its thing, getting into a back yard for a lift.
Another Oak being "saved"

Attachments

• chemnik aguave move 019.JPG
    chemnik aguave move 019.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • chemnik aguave move 037.JPG
    chemnik aguave move 037.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,016
  • chemnik aguave move 032.JPG
    chemnik aguave move 032.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 998
  • park ln tree move 024.jpg
    park ln tree move 024.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 996
  • park ln tree move web.JPG
    park ln tree move web.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,005

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Nice pictures ..Its all money man ..take it and run:drinkup

The 100t liebherr sported 2 carriers

There is a third ..on the carrier that's shown here ..although ..I think thats a LTM 1090, 90tonne or 100 US ton unit..That particular carrier was produced for the North American market to conform with regulations ..the counter weight config also lends itself to this ..

..Next time your out ..have a look at the placard just below the operators window..

Attachments

• 6ff7f41c-8093-4c98-a135-c895da7b4adc_W615H615.jpg
    6ff7f41c-8093-4c98-a135-c895da7b4adc_W615H615.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 9607b9a9-b733-4842-8529-b379a3993b88_W615H615.jpg
    9607b9a9-b733-4842-8529-b379a3993b88_W615H615.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited:

Brushinfool

Liebherr,

The carrier under this unit must be version #3; 4 axles but longer wheel base
California has strict weight restrictions on highway.
when operating this unit on highway, you send your lunchbox with the counterweight truck or youll be overweight, I think 80,000 lbs is max for this configuration on the road, and topped off with fuel and a little road film its at 79,999.9

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I was once told of a load that the driver had to step out to come legal..the driver isnt part of the load...LOL..lunch can is though ...

Brushinfool

Lifted the 12' boxed oak on monday, used rectangle tubes as recommended for stiffeners.- thanks Leibherr!
Went with 6 X 8 X 1/4 and welded up some rienforcing on the ends. Made spreaders out of 4 1/2" sched. 40 pipe for top and two on sides to keep beams apart.

Was going to lift with cable under the box but was afraid to tear up beams so opted for 14' blue slings to cable thru spreaders and back to nylon to hook.

55,000 lb lift was actually 71,000 lbs !... good thing we had a 175 Krupp and not the usual 100T leibherr. We all did math seperatly and came up with 30T max, maybe a few more rocks in that box than anticipated.

Haul rout was a little uneven so ended up "crow hopping" the tree about 200yds, long day and put the lifting hardware to the test. Beams ended up a little "flexed" when all was done, but held up well.

Attachments

• st francis 144 inch oak.JPG
    st francis 144 inch oak.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 827
  • st francis beam ends.JPG
    st francis beam ends.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 818
  • st francis big oak on truck.JPG
    st francis big oak on truck.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 823
  • st francis big oak  pre move.JPG
    st francis big oak pre move.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 845

JDOFMEMI

Nice work there. Looks like the beams did the job nicely. I like the box idea, keeps the straps where they belong.

Funny how things like that always seem to be heavier than the calculations, no matter how carefull you consider it. Good thing like you said, plenty of extra crane capacity. Better too much than not enough

Where is that, the background looks familiar, but I can't place it in my mind.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Thats cherry man !!

That came out great ..not your first day at the fabrication rodeo now is it!!:notworthy

Bet the operator felt better about that to ..I know i would ..Say's your serious about that you do ..

Glad it worked out for you ..:drinkup

Brushinfool

In this line of work, in this economy, about the only money I make is what I pay myself to fab. and repair stuff.
Grew up in the upper midwest where machine shop and welding were equally as important as math and english.

Thanks again Liebherr for the lifting advise, it'll pay off two fold, have another 12' box to move in the next few weeks... same site so at least Ill have a better idea on weight.

Happy 4th! :usa