• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liebherr vs Volvo Wheel Loaders...

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hello all,

Still looking for information. Now seeking input regarding Liebherr and Volvo wheel loaders, for comparisons sake I would like to limit the input to Volvo L110, L120 and Liebherr L556 and L566 respectively. Anyone who owns, operates or works on them. Any input relating to waste handling is even more appreciated. I am trying to decide which manufacturer to choose for a "one-stop" source for all my equipment needs. Thanks...

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Well, since I've gotten no nibbles on this thread I have been left to my own devices - not always a good idea mind you - and I conducted some research. Seems the new Volvo G series loaders aren't living up to the hype, since I can't confirm this myself and I'm not willing to trash talk the Swede's - my Li'l Woman's a Swede. I have been hearing really good things about the Gen 6 Tier IV Liebherr's though, their fuel efficiency is up 25% and they've re-engineered the hydrostatic drive system.

I did speak with one of the owners and the maintenance supervisor for this areas largest and most successful underground utility contractor. They've owned every wheel loader imagineable and have had the least trouble and best fuel efficiency with the Liebherr's and that speaks volumes to me.

Since I will be making a decision in the very near future to purchase three wheel loaders at 430k plus it would be real nice to know that I made the best choice. I have narrowed it down to either a Volvo L120G or Liebherr L556 Gen 6.

So, really now nobody? Nobody has any opinion?

farm_boy

Hello all,

Any input relating to waste handling is even more appreciated. I am trying to decide which manufacturer to choose for a "one-stop" source for all my equipment needs. Thanks...

I can speak to what I know about both, plus the manufacturer that I know the most about.

Volvo: Depending on where you are located it appears there are only five branches in FL (6 if you count Cowin in Pensacola). From a product support standpoint this might limit your ability to quickly get parts. I can't speak to the technician side of things, but you should call and see when you can get a service truck out for a service call. Additionally call the parts department and ask for a part that you could install but would down the machine (alternator, radiator hose etc) and see if they have it in stock. With regards to the loader itself, if you are looking at a G series you are looking at a new Tier 4 interim loader. Volvo has the most complicated T4i system I have seen with a spark plugged ignited burner system and two additional (and separate) air systems. One being a high pressure system complete with air compressor and air dryer. This system is used to blow high pressure high at the fuel injection nozzle in the burner system to keep it clean. The second being a low pressure high volume system used to provide oxygen to the burner system to a accomplish a DPF regeneration. A lot of extra stuff on the machine to fail and down the loader. Additionally Volvo has elected to have the operator manually press a button and "confirm" a DPF regeneration EVERY TIME it needs to regen. This has cause problems across the country with operations where the operator ignores the monitor, doesn't press the button and forces the loader into a derate mode. This can only be reset by a dealer technician and a service call. Additionally the burner system typically uses much more fuel during a regen than other technologies when performing a regen and at a high idle/high load state (where the loader is when you're working it). As far as waste handling, from what I have seen Volvo has a decent waste specific package. They sell a pile of loaders to Waste Management across the country.

Liebherr: The dealer picture looks even more bleak with Liebherr with only one dealer location that I can find. Heavy Machines Inc has only one location in the state of FL, which would raise even more flags for me on the product support side of things. I think the Liebherr is probably pretty fuel efficient, but the potential lack of product support would outweigh any fuel efficiency gains (at least in my opinion). I have also never seen a purpose built waste handler package for a Liebherr loader. I don't know much about Liebherr's T4i technology so I can't speak to how they are executing their emission technology.

The loader that I'm most familiar with is the Deere. From a product support standpoint there are 18 dealer locations across the state of FL, with Nortrax having the most locations. Nortrax is the largest dealer for Deere in North America and has a nation wide infrastructure of parts support. I would conduct the same test that I suggested with Volvo though just to verify for yourself. The Deere loader has become very efficient in the recent years with options like the lock up torque converter and the upcoming 644K Hybrid which is said to save up to 25% in fuel versus a power shift unit. Deere's T4i technology doesn't use a complicated burner system, but rather injects a small amount of fuel into the exhaust after the turbo which chemically reacts to the oxidation catalyst. This increases the exhaust temperature enough to regen the DPF with pouring fuel to a flame in the exhaust stream simply to heat it. Deere also has a great waste handler package that can be purchased as a complete package or individual options from it can be put together to meet your needs if you don't need everything in the complete package.

As far as a one stop shop, Deere or Volvo would be a better choice. Depending I guess on what your equipment needs are. Liebherr's product line is somewhat limited compared to Volvo and Deere.

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents worth from what I have seen in my travels.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hello farm_boy, I would say that was more than just two cents, apparently you know your stuff. You are correct about Liebherr and Heavy Machines in Bartow, Fl and Volvo with Flagler Equipment in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I am lucky that I am friends with the owners of our areas largest underground utility contractor who only uses Liebherr excavators and are now switching to Liebherr wheel loaders. They deal directly with Newport News when it comes to parts and they have nothing but good things to say about Heavy Machines. I have spoken with HM and they assure me they have "roving" technicians and are able to respond within 24 hours. That said I have heard nothing but horror stories about Flagler, even my own attempts at contact have been anything but an aggravation.

I know the new Interim Tier 4 systems have some debugging but wait until 2016 regulations come about, I am told it will be regen plus DEF, can't wait for that. It appears Liebherr is willing to bend over backwards for me at the moment and that is somewhat comforting. As for Deere and Nortrax, there local dealership is 15 minutes away, and those same contractor friends I mentioned, they've been in business for 30 years and have run every make and model loader and they are now changing to nothing but Liebherr and got disgusted with Deere/Hitachi and Nortrax 5 years ago, they have their own in-house maintenance and have offered to help with any issues that might arise. Also, they find them to be insanely fuel efficient and the hydrostatic drive system flawless, their only complaint....electronics, which they now stock solenoids that are problematic.

I still have to demo the machines and have face to face time with reps before I make my final decision and your input and insight is very much appreciated. Most importantly, do you have any wheel time in either Volvo L110 - L120's or Liebherr L556 - L566's?

As for waste handling packages for Volvo or Liebherr, they both have extensive upfits, at least that's what the brochures and paperwork indicate.

Last edited:

farm_boy

Most importantly, do you have any wheel time in either Volvo L110 - L120's or Liebherr L556 - L566's?

Here are some thoughts from recently running a L110G:

1.) Steering efforts were acceptably low most of the time. Occasionally, the steering efforts get very high and the steering wheel would feel as it momentarily locked up. Overall, steering performance was very unpredictable and it was difficult to keep the machine driving in a straight line, steering while in a turn, or coming out of a turn.
2.) The controls had very low efforts. The amount of effort to move the control did not change at the start of metering and did not increase much through the range of travel. The start of functions had to be felt in the machine or from watching for movement.
3.) The cab felt very spacious with very good fit and finish. The panels all fit well together. There was lots of floor space to store a lunch box etc but no way of securing it.
4.) The red/orange color of the monitor is not the best color for daytime readability. It was difficult to read any of the information displayed on the Volvo’s monitor. The dim, red orange characters against the black background probably work well at night but do not work during the day. The text is small making finding the desired data on the monitor difficult when taking quick glances.
5.) Engine response on this machine was so-so. You had to reduce the hydraulic load to allow the engine to recover.
6.) The transmission shifted fairly smooth in all conditions.

I have no exposure to the Liebherr machine so I can't help you out there. I hope this helps on the Volvo.

Colorado Digger

I would look hard at the Liebherr iron. I had the chance to visit their excavator factory in november of last year in Colmar, France. From what I observed in thier factory was enough to make me want one. The machines are very well built and it is evident that the Liebherr employees take great pride in their work. They are smooth and strong. The biggest issue would be the dealer network in your area. good luck

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
farm_boy, you are echoeing what I keep hearing, the new G series isn't quite up to par with the E and F of days gone past. I personally used to think Volvo made the best loader there was but it appears that might not be so anymore. I have yet to hear anyone say one word against Liebherr more so nothing but positive.
I have no exposure to the Liebherr machine so I can't help you out there. I hope this helps on the Volvo.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hey Colorado Digger, oh I am looking hard at 'em. Having heard nothing but good and hearing how fuel efficient they are is making me lean hard in their direction. Seems the Swiss aren't as greedy as the Swede's too. I was quoted 430k for a new Volvo L120G configured for waste handling and Liebherr is telling me they can build a comparable L556 Gen 6 for 375k and that's not a chump change difference to me.
I would look hard at the Liebherr iron. I had the chance to visit their excavator factory in november of last year in Colmar, France. From what I observed in thier factory was enough to make me want one. The machines are very well built and it is evident that the Liebherr employees take great pride in their work. They are smooth and strong. The biggest issue would be the dealer network in your area. good luck

durallymax

Historically from the little experience I have, it seems Volvo is priced very high on the machines and parts. With that said though, in our area they seem to be very reliable, fuel efficient and hold their resale value very well. However this is on a different class of machines, 3 L60Es and an L70F operated on large dairy farms. I have been looking at the G series as our E is aging and a lot of their features seem nice, i've always liked the cab layout and comfort the best, serviceability looks nice with the tilt hood, but I'm curious to see how everyones emissions systems pan out. In the older cabs I know they had a lunch pail cargo net option, I thought the new cab did too, could be wrong though.

I've expressed my feelings on emissions systems plenty of times. I prefer an SCR system couple with an Active DPF. Volvo is using this on-road and has stated they plan to incorporate it for Tier 4 Final which will be phased in through 2014-2015. Currently there are no OEMs that have announced plans for an engine to comply with Tier 4 Final without the use of an SCR system. However both Fiat Power Train and Sisu Diesel Claim they have been able to meet the regs without external EGR or DPF. I remember seeing somewhere that Volvo felt the infrastructure for distributing DEF was not large enough yet to serve the construction industry.

The systems farm-boy explains about the Deere is similar to Volvo's. Both are Active regen systems. The confusion often comes in the sales pitches. I wish companies would quit with emissions based sales pitches, they confuse too many people, lead them down the wrong paths, and then go and implement on their own machines what they bashed about the other machines when they came out. Unless Volvo fell of the wagon, their system is just like any other active DPF. They are always in passive regen. The harder you run it, the cleaner it stays. Passive regen is natural regeneration, the exhaust temperature is hot enough to activate the catalyst. When the machine is run under low load, or worse, idled for extended periods, the filter plugs up very quickly and will require and active regen. Volvo's system appears to have two stages of an active regen. One where they mist fuel into the exhaust to increase heat in the DOC, and a last resort forced regen which uses and igniter and added oxygen to create a flame front for cleansing the filter. From what I have heard on many off road machines this is the regen you as the operator have to aknowledge, the rest of the regen's should all be autonomous, they may notify you though. Many companies allow the operator to force their own regen early. The term active and passive get people confused a lot. Passive (to the majority) means no outside influence, the exhaust is hot enough to clean itself. Active means any form of outside help, injecting fuel, restricting air intake, altering turbo vane pitch, altering timing and injection quantity and/or altering idle speed. Forced regen isn't on as many machines but it generally describes a regen that uses various outside influences to create the necessary heat to cleanse the filter. Some of these have to be done while parked. Most all forced regens only occur because the operator postponed the active regen's too long or they let the machine idle way too much. The reason many construction vehicles require acknowledgement of active regens is safety. Out on the road with semi's and cars its not a big deal, theres a lot of air moving to cool the exhaust, but construction equipment is subjected to settings where fires could form.

I cannot locate a detailed diagram of Volvo's additional air system. From what I see there is a system that looks typical of most DPFs for reading the soot loading, but the larger pipe and such is all a new idea I haven't seen.

In the end of it all the point is really not to listen to the salesman or brochures, or anyone really. The information on these systems is so skewed that its hard for anybody to know whats going on. Whats important to look at is the fact that both companies use an active system, thus using fuel to cleanse the filter. Companies who don't use this system want you to think its bad and wasting fuel. However what they fail to mention is that passive only systems have no fail safe. If you let that thing idle for a week and the filter plugs, you have to remove the filter and get it cleaned if it is serviceable. Cleanings are a couple hundred dollars once the filter is already out. If the DPF is not serviceable, they start at around $1,000 for a new one and go up from there.

Sawmill

We use a Liebherr 944 Pick n Carry loader designed for logging industry. 3(?) years old. They are known for leaking hydraulic fluids.

elirock83

We just bought a new stockpile loader, and demoed an L180g. like farm boy said the volvo dash display is hard to read and worse if you were sun glasses. Over all i really liked the machine, it handled the material well. Never have ran a liebherr.

My $.02 is what ever machine you buy make sure your dealer will support you. It doesn't matter how much fuel you save or how quick the machine is, if it is down and not making/saving you money. We went from a cat to a komatsu just because we couldn't get the dealer to help us out. We expect our stockpile loader to run everyday, and when it is down we need it going again asap. We had boom electronic issues, 2 weeks is a long time to wait. Most machines, no matter who's you buy, are nice when the are new but what happens when you get 6,7,8k+ hours? I think the 3 biggest things with a new wheel loader or really most new equipment is the: emission strategy,what dealer will treat you the best, and finally the $$$$$.

I

>HevyIndsMFGng<

Occupation
Mechanic/Student
This thread is awesome, lots of good points that give a rare, in-depth explanation of these incredibly complicated regen systems. I'm going to school right now at one of the best Cat schools in the nation :usa , but I've always liked Volvo's :drinkup

Occupation
Field Service Tech
I would definetly go with Volvo they have a very good loader and there fuel efficency is pretty darn close to leibher if not better! vovlo service is very well they have wonderful warranty plans. As for the DPF regen , you have to ignore it 6 times before you have to have a dealer to coke out and reset it. parts can be pretty good. They are the only ones who have the regening system mastered where other machine are receiving fines because they can't come up with a fool proof design. As for their steering they have the best turnig and steering ratio. they have a quicker response without the lag! I think you would really be happy with Volvo. every machine has problems soon or later but VolVo constantly makes sure the problems are fixed right away. hope this helps.

lozenger1967

driven liebherr 574 for a number of years good machine good on fuel,tyre wear, after 18000 hours no leaks on hyd rams,engine & pumps starting to get tyred, had 2 circuit boards,front diff. good vision & great reach, also driven volvo 150, good machine as well. Resale value you get more for the volvo me thinks.

GPC

Occupation
Lowboy Driver/Dispatcher/Mechanic
Well, since I've gotten no nibbles on this thread I have been left to my own devices - not always a good idea mind you - and I conducted some research. Seems the new Volvo G series loaders aren't living up to the hype, since I can't confirm this myself and I'm not willing to trash talk the Swede's - my Li'l Woman's a Swede. I have been hearing really good things about the Gen 6 Tier IV Liebherr's though, their fuel efficiency is up 25% and they've re-engineered the hydrostatic drive system.

I did speak with one of the owners and the maintenance supervisor for this areas largest and most successful underground utility contractor. They've owned every wheel loader imagineable and have had the least trouble and best fuel efficiency with the Liebherr's and that speaks volumes to me.

Since I will be making a decision in the very near future to purchase three wheel loaders at 430k plus it would be real nice to know that I made the best choice. I have narrowed it down to either a Volvo L120G or Liebherr L556 Gen 6.

So, really now nobody? Nobody has any opinion?

We have run Volvo loaders since 1997 including our first which was a 1997 L150 that we put around 20,000hrs on with little to no problems. Now with that said the new Volvos are complete crap. Constant emmisions problems and fuel supply troubble and Volvo always blames it on operator error.

We demoed a Liebherr awhile back. What little bit I got to be around it, it seemed like a very nice machine and the operator loved it.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
GPC,

I've been running a Volvo ECR235D on and off for the past two months and have noticed that it needs a regen virtually every 20 hours. Honestly not knowing if this is typical but there's no reduction in performance and the dealer swears it's not abnormal, as a side note it is a rented machine so not really my concern. I've also spoken at length with both the local Liebherr and Volvo dealers the trouble is the Liebherr dealer is miles away while Volvo is near, both have promised "absolute" service when needed however. The new Tier IV's are here to stay and there's no way of getting around it either, I remember a time when machines went computer controlled with electronic fuel injection and there was nothing but problems manufacturer wide. Another valid concern I have is the simple fact that only one local contractor is running Liebherr Loaders, hard to get a really objective opinion. For now I sit squarely on the fence with regards to purchasing any new machines. I will say this, we've got a Volvo L70E and an L70F both are very impressive for their size and we should have a demo L90G in a few weeks. We'll soon see and I'll post my opinion/s when I have more to share...

GPC

Occupation
Lowboy Driver/Dispatcher/Mechanic
GPC,

I've been running a Volvo ECR235D on and off for the past two months and have noticed that it needs a regen virtually every 20 hours. Honestly not knowing if this is typical but there's no reduction in performance and the dealer swears it's not abnormal, as a side note it is a rented machine so not really my concern. I've also spoken at length with both the local Liebherr and Volvo dealers the trouble is the Liebherr dealer is miles away while Volvo is near, both have promised "absolute" service when needed however. The new Tier IV's are here to stay and there's no way of getting around it either, I remember a time when machines went computer controlled with electronic fuel injection and there was nothing but problems manufacturer wide. Another valid concern I have is the simple fact that only one local contractor is running Liebherr Loaders, hard to get a really objective opinion. For now I sit squarely on the fence with regards to purchasing any new machines. I will say this, we've got a Volvo L70E and an L70F both are very impressive for their size and we should have a demo L90G in a few weeks. We'll soon see and I'll post my opinion/s when I have more to share...

We were very happy with the first Volvo's we purchased but, this last set we tried out have been nothing but trouble. But the thing that really bothers me about it is that the Dealer always tries to blame it on the operator not the crappy loader they built.

With the excavators I can't really say anything about them. We rented one about tow years ago for a culvert project and it did just fine. We then rented it again a year later for another project and it didn't run for an hour before it decided to run hot, but that is all the experince I have with Volvo excavators so I don't really know anything about them.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
GPC,

Here is one thing that was stressed upon us when we received the ECR235D, you MUST warm up the new Volvo Tier IV machines and more importantly let them cool down before shutting them off, it even states so in the Operators Manual. We always allow for a 10 min. warm up and at least a 5 min. cool down as policy. Obviously the computer tracks everything and failure to do so will render the DPF useless and from what we were told they are more than just expensive to replace and as the renter we are responsible for all cost. I'm not saying all Operators are at fault but clearly there will be a learning curve with the Tier IV's as they start to become more prevalent. Also, and again stressed upon us is allowing the computer to do its full diagnostics before starting-up. Failure to do this will cause all kinds of errors. I've been at this long enough to witness far too many Operators hop in a machine in the morning without checking a single fluid or walking around the machine to do a simple visual, crank'er up and drive away. As policy, you work for us you will get the pre-flight process right or find somewhere else to work, machines nowadays cost more than the average home, take care of it. Again, not saying your Operators are at fault but the Volvo Tech's can bring up the machines history and determine if it's being properly operated.

But the thing that really bothers me about it is that the Dealer always tries to blame it on the operator not the crappy loader they built.

Last edited:

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Unfortunately, because of my experience a few years back with Liebherr, I would never buy another Liebherr machine. A chap I knew was the salesman there at the time and he wanted me to have a look at their wheel loaders. They held a demonstration day and I was very impressed, they had an L541 they wanted to get out into the field, so they burnt the price on it and I bought it, that was the only saving grace. Now I realise this is an old machine today, so I hope they have improved the newer machines and their attitude dramatically, to what it was then. I still have this machine, it has done a bit over 14,000 hours and I will say, when it is going, it is a very good machine to operate, although it is getting fairly sloppy now.

The first problem was when they told me they had a complete machine in parts on the floor, three months after I purchased the loader, they sent all the parts back to Germany, because the boss said they were carrying too much inventory and this is the head office for the South Pacific. From then until this day, nearly every part we needed, was two to three weeks wait from Germany. The second problem was when the transmission failed under 5,000 hours, then it failed three times again, since. The pumps have been resealed twice and are leaking again, the travel motor has been rebuilt, the splitter drive, driving the pumps on the back of the engine, broke three teeth of the main drive cog, both axles have pulled teeth off the pinions, all this on a hydrostatic machine, where there should not be as much shock load. Whenever I questioned them on whether other operators were having these problems, of course I never got a straight answer and even the mechanics, who were very good, were kept in the dark. Also, I am not quite sure where the problem lies, because while the loader was Liebherr, a lot of the componentry that failed, was ZF. Being hydrostatic drive, a new pump retails for over $20,000 and each repair was between $8-$12,000, $10,000 for each diff and $25,000 for each transmission, plus all the other incidentals. The only thing we have not had any problems with, is the engine, Liebherr do build a very good engine. Leibherr loaders also have very little resale value here, mainly because there are not a lot around.

You may say I and my other operators are rough, we work the machines hard, but being a small outfit, we can not afford to be rough on our machines, this machine has been serviced regularly through out it's whole life. Liebherr were quite good in the early stages and paid for the replacements, but as time went on, they paid for less and of course there was the lost productivity while the machine was down and the cost of the transport to send it back to them, 200 km away, or their travelling fees to come to us. I would say that I have paid for the machine twice.

I will say, that in the early days, I was looked after in other ways, invites to their annual dinner, tickets to the corporate box at the Grand Prix, which was all very nice, but unfortunately, everything else has left me rather PO'd, when I was trying to build a business and this was my main machine.

As for Volvo, can not comment on them, because I have never operated them, but friends of mine run a few of them and while they do have some problems, they are very happy with them.

RnR.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Liebherr makes good excavators and cranes - forget about their loaders and dozers, they are crap. Liebherr have only started building loaders and dozers in the last 25 years, they've got another 25 yrs to go before they understand what is needed to build a robust, reliable loader or dozer.
The Volvo loaders that were Clark/Michigan based were the best Volvos. Anything else that came out of Volvo Sweden was nothing but trouble with excessive amounts of electrics and electronics, and usually coupled with overheating problems in hot climates as well. Both these makes are hot on parts prices, and "iffy" on the parts supply/service side.
Why wouldn't you buy a Cat loader? They may be more expensive, but the backup is second to none, the design and reliability is unparalleled, and the resale value is better than anything else on the market. It's a no-brainer to me.
Even buying a Komatsu would be better than buying a Volvo or Liebherr.