• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liebherr R9800, what a beast.....!

alco

We had some Liebherr engineers touring around up here a couple months ago. They wanted to see the digging conditions first hand so they could get a better idea of what they would be facing when they try to break into the market for shovels here. I guess this means someone is going to have to overlook the reputation their trucks have gained up here, and pony up for a new shovel.

jd700

hey guys I am new to the forum....but anyway that thing is pretty dang but...what is it like to run a hoe that big..the biggest ive been on was a 385 and that seemed huge to me hopefully one day i"ll get a shot at it sure is pretty

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
HMmmm I guess I'd need a bigger trailer eh? I'm bummed, My takeuchi TB25 dosen't have any ladders on it at all... B-(

Zed

Thiess has just taken delivery of the second machine at Burton, and Downer Mining has put an order in, 2 for a Western Australia project. KPC Indonesia has also put an order in for 3 plus another 7 996's. KPC machines might come with MTU 16V4000's.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I wonder how long it will take someone to burn one to the ground ...?

I have it on good authority that one particular mine in S. America that shall remain nameless has managed to burn a 9600 to the ground not once but twice (and not the same one on both occasions I hasten to add). That must have been expensive ........... :crying :crying

Nige

AFAIK the insurance company has refused to cover their excavators .........

Problem is, as in all things, the human element. The fire suppression system is a bit like an orgasm. It's a one-shot deal that once you've pulled the pin that's it. If the engine is not shut down before the fire system is activated then the source of fuel (from a bust hydraulic hose for example) could still be spewing everywhere over hot components. The fire system puts out the fire but there is still fuel and a heat source so it flares up again and of course a few 20-pound hand-held extinguishers are not gonna put that bad boy out.

The only way to do it is to first put the bucket on the ground, shut the engine off, then hit the button. However it's a lot harder to do that as the operator in a real-life fire, when you're surrounded by flames and you're more concerned getting yourself out alive than saving the machine, than it was in the training class .......

alco

You would of thought there would be a total shut down system that should be
put in place that is linked to all these new control systems by now!!!!!!

Any fire supression system I have ever seen on a large machine like this has always been set up to shut the machine down prior to discharging the system. I know all the systems are aftermarket, but they all have that function here.

Gavin84w

The 9350,s we had on site actually were set up with a deluge system over and above the fire system, basically our 777 water carts had the corresponding hose on them and if possible you would drive up to the machine and connect it on and pump the water into her.

Personally i would let the Libra burn.

Nige

The 9350,s we had on site actually were set up with a deluge system over and above the fire system, basically our 777 water carts had the corresponding hose on them and if possible you would drive up to the machine and connect it on and pump the water into her.

Personally i would let the Libra burn.
In addition to the wet/dry fire suppression system all our water trucks are all equipped with independent fire suppression monitors, that don't even need connecting to the shovel but I wouldn't bank my next pay cheque (or even what I've got in my wallet !) against Mine Operations being able to get a full truck of water to a burning shovel before it converted itself into a crispy critter.

Agree with you 100% on the Liebherr. I'd also add Hitachi to that list as well.