• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liebherr 996R Pics.

leeroy

Occupation
Plant Operator
G,day everyone thought I might post some pictures of the digger i operate at the Prominent Hill Copper/Gold mine In South Australia.

Attachments

• 100_0344.jpg
    100_0344.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,189
  • 100_0348.jpg
    100_0348.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,932
  • 100_0347.jpg
    100_0347.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,212
  • 100_0351.jpg
    100_0351.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 6,721
  • 100_0404.jpg
    100_0404.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3,611

Haul-Pak

Nice pictures ....... Where you at the helm when they where taken?

Nice Greedy Boards on the 793 (Or should i say Anti-Spill boards ha ha ha)

leeroy

Occupation
Plant Operator
Nice pictures ....... Where you at the helm when they where taken?

Nice Greedy Boards on the 793 (Or should i say Anti-Spill boards ha ha ha)

No.My mate and myself changed over at lunch so i could go passenger in a truck and get some snaps.
We call them Hungry boards over here,because the digger operator is always hungry to get that extra bucket on.Fully loaded with dirt spilling everywhere the trucks are barely carrying 200 ton.

Cheers.:drinkup

Haul-Pak

No.My mate and myself changed over at lunch so i could go passenger in a truck and get some snaps.
We call them Hungry boards over here,because the digger operator is always hungry to get that extra bucket on.Fully loaded with dirt spilling everywhere the trucks are barely carrying 200 ton.

Cheers.:drinkup

Yep .... Hungry-Greedy boards fitted to 93's here. Two snapped this year and its not over yet.

Nice pics again ......

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Stellar photos man! IF they were bigger they would make great background photos too:drinkup:notworthy:notworthy:cool2

Thanks for sharing:thumbsup

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Saw a extra large Hitachi in Michigan a few years back and it also had the boom cylinders upside down. Whats up with that only on the monster excavators?

Haul-Pak

Saw a extra large Hitachi in Michigan a few years back and it also had the boom cylinders upside down. Whats up with that only on the monster excavators?

Well I know O&K put them upside down because the main control valves are on the back of the Boom.

Not sure about Liebherr, Maybe hose routing?

Having the cylinder barrel on the bottom would make sense though, Less weight to lift.

leeroy

Occupation
Plant Operator
next time take some pic of the inside of the cab. cool pic
Found this one for you mate.Heading back to work tomorrow for another two week swing ,will get some more pics and post them when i get back.
Cheers:drinkup

Attachments

• 100_0375.jpg
    100_0375.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4,947

Sharky

Yer pit floor is lookin a bit rough in the first few pics:eek:

J/K Sweet pics. Had a 994 around here a few years back with a log grapple attached. Could pick off a full load in one pass.

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
We had a 994 here for a couple of years, the interior of the cab except for the radios was the same but it was mounted on the left side of the machine so the console and computer screen blocked a lot of view in front of the tracks, a real pain in the neck!. Nice machine to operate though once you got used to it, very quick.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator

I think that one of the reasons might be because of servicing the packing might be easier in that configuration.I can see that the machine would be a lot cleaner when the seals start weeping and the oil starts drooling down the cylinder and collecting dust.
I don't know either but I have often speculated about it the same as you have.Could it be visibility maybe?Ron G

hitch

Occupation
Construcation equipment
G,day everyone thought I might post some pictures of the digger i operate at the Prominent Hill Copper/Gold mine In South Australia.

Really nice pics! This excavator is huge, and I once saw the similar size front shovel, which one should be better in this site?

Gavin84w

Thiess really love there 996,s, i was going to say that dirt looks real light but i am sure that will change once you hit rock. What is staff turnover like on that site, i know it is pretty remote.

Talk is that the R9800 800+ ton backhoe is going to Thiess Mt Owen to match up with the biggest trucks in the Thiess fleet, the EH4500 Hitachi,s and also heard they have been finished up at Liddell

alco

I think that one of the reasons might be because of servicing the packing might be easier in that configuration.I can see that the machine would be a lot cleaner when the seals start weeping and the oil starts drooling down the cylinder and collecting dust.
I don't know either but I have often speculated about it the same as you have.Could it be visibility maybe?Ron G

It's always been my understanding that this is a major part of the mounting direction. It's easier to service the packing on the machine like this, plus it keeps dust and dirt from building up on top of the seals and causing premature wear.

I had a few people try to tell me that it is due to power issues, they said that the cylinder can develop more power this way. I laugh so hard I almost cry every time I hear that. Then I explain my take on their theory and watch them try to figure out what I just told them.

Brian

Haul-Pak

Well I dont know how it works at your end but .... When a Hoist, stick or croud cylinder goes on the fritz we change them out. No repacking of the crown seals.
It would take 3 times as long to repack-reseal than simply swapping them out.

I bet the hoist Cylinder on the 996 weigh 10 ton?
I had a few people try to tell me that it is due to power issues, they said that the cylinder can develop more power this way. I laugh so hard I almost cry every time I hear that. Then I explain my take on their theory and watch them try to figure out what I just told them.
Ha Ha Ha ....... The cylinder should be mounted Barrel down as this would mean less weight lifted.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business

I just spoke to Liebherr's workshop manager here, who I have known for many years and is responsible for the maintenance on the machines at Prominent Hill, the boom cylinders are mounted that way purely for the fitting of the hydraulic lines otherwise they would have to have more lines feeding out underneath the machine, so you are on the money, Haul-Pak.
The 996 is around 650 tonnes and there is a 9800 coming out that will be around 850 tonnes.

Rn'R.