• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets play .... What the heck is this!??!

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
From another forum i'm on, no one can figure out what this is... what do you think HEF
This little thing is amazing, but we have no idea what it is. (cliff notes at bottom)

A buddy has a wood burning stove to heat his shop. Another buddy dropped off a trash can full of old wood (60-70yrs). 2x4s, 4x4s and other wood pieces from the renovation of an old house. This one piece stood out because it looked like it had a piece of metal about the size of a dime pressed into it. They threw it into the stove anyway. When he cleaned the ashes out the next day he found that the metallic piece had much more beneath the surface of the wood and we cannot figure out how it got in there.

Here are some pics and some facts ....

Here is the piece after it was pulled form the ashes the next day. Ignore the pen marks, somebody was goofing off before it got to really intriguing us. The dime looking portion was all we could see. It was pretty much flush with the wood's surface. It's also not magnetic and very heavy for it's size.
21.jpg

We put the surface on a grinder and it did not spark at all, but it does shine up nicely.
31.jpg

We tacked a bolt to it and it took the weld ok. What was very strange was how well and long it held the heat. You could close palm hold the bolt, but the ball was not touchable. Took a good 15 min to cool to a temp that you could hold it 'hot potato' like.
41.jpg

We put it on an anvil and hit it with a mini sledge. It didn't put the slightest dent in the ball, but put several good ones in the sledge.
51.jpg

Next up we tried to use a punch and the sledge to test it. Very small marks on the ball land it flattened the punch.
1.jpg

After beating the crap out of it we were able to break the bolt from it and we could see there was little penetration from the weld. It was a simple 'close your eyes and tack' type weld, but I still expected to see some discoloration and/or penetration.
2.jpg

After we got the bolt off, and it was still warm. We put it in a vice and put the mapp gas to it for about 2 min (literally). It expanded and popped about a foot straight up and out of the vice. It was only slightly red at the point the gas was being applied. We dropped it in a plastic cup that was about 3/4 full of beer and it vaporized it very fast. (love that smell)
3.jpg

Cliffnotes:

The dime-shaped part was exposed from a piece of wood, the rest was inside the wood. It was not a piece of composite wood.
It did not melt in a wood burning stove going for 6 hrs.
It's very heavy for it's size. 1-1.25 LBS
It does not spark on a grinder wheel
It is not magnetic.
After grinding it can polish up nicely
It seems to have a cast line around the center of the ball.
A mini sledge will not dent it.
A center punch will flatten on it.
It has amazing heat retention properties.

.. so WTH is it? How'd it get in there?

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Non-finished Tungsten carbide ball casting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten_carbide

And here, I was going to answer that's it's a thingamabob, cause it doesn't have enough moving parts to be a gizmo.

Take it to a scrap yard, and have them check it with an XRF gun. That'd probably tell you, but the tungsten carbide seems to be a good guess.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Why ?? do people waste Beer like that ....

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
The thing that gets me thinking is if it was carbide, why didn't it shatter when struck with a hammer?
There are other non ferrous metals in use, has anyone ever checked it to see if it was radioactive? (just asking, I'm not playing lets chase the spaceman here.....just asking is all)
How about a high grade of stainless? Stainless is non magnetic, certain grades are very heavy due to makeup, can be formed, molded, can react to high temperatures, and very hard, and won't have sparks when ground on a grinding wheel.
Also the heat transfer coefficient is something like 25% of mild or ferrous steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Also there are certain chemicals, (highly concentrated hydrochloric acid comes to mind here) will cause discoloration......just my two cents, but I have my doubt that it is carbide even though there are a lot of similarities.

Last edited:

OldandWorn

I also think its unground cast carbide. If that little dimple in the center of the flat was there when found it could be from a failed hardness test and thrown away, maybe lots of them. I wonder if it was just an odd chance that it ended up inside a tree or was placed there on purpose. Were there tree huggers back then? Competing logging companies or property disputes? If sure would make a mess of any type of cutting equipment. I could see a mill refusing all logs from a company if they ran into too many of these things.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As it was buried deep in a log is there any possibility (depending on where exactly the log came from - a firing range maybe) it could be part of a depleted uranium artillery or tank shell ..? Does it feel warm to the touch ..?

Got a Geiger Counter handy ..?