• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Legal or not?

HeyUvaVT

Quick question..in Virginia...I have an 08 F450 with the 4.88 rear end..rated from factory for 24500lbs towing with a gooseneck trailer...I want to pull a 23500 lbs machine on a 5000 lbs gooseneck trailer for total of 28500 lbs ... I have a class A CDL...BUUUUT will this be illegal or "over weight" ( I know its over weight common sense wise but its a one time move of only 5 miles and I just don't want to get smoked by DOT)

Thanks

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
You want to pull 23,800 lbs with a F450? That's way overweight. I doubt you'd be able to stop. You need a small 6 wheeler like a F-750 or Pete 330. I wouldn't even chance it.

HeyUvaVT

The truck is rated from the factory to pull 24500 with a gooseneck trailer...we pull 20k lbs routinely with no problems at all...I just want to know if its legal or illegal to put 28500 lbs behind the truck common sense be darned...yes its dumb....yes its hard on the truck...no I don't condone it....but yes I have to move my equipment from the old shop to the new shop...5 miles down country roads...I just want to know if all I have to worry about is damage and danger...or will I get ticketed also...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
What weight is the truck and tailer combination registered for? That'll tell you what you're legal to haul.

texascadillac42

Yep, you have the right license, now its a question of plates on the truck and trailer. If the truck axles arent over weight, and the trailer axles arent overweight, then you should be fine. Especially for a 5 mile run down a country road. Id do it and not think twice. The F450 will handle the weight no problem, your trailer DOES have brakes right??? It should stop without a problem at those weights.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
If the truck is rated to tow 24500 from the factory and you tow 24501 lbs you can get cited. Been there done that. Here it is $0.05 a pound fine.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
As usual I didn't read the post all the way through. If it's 5 miles do it on a Saturday or Sunday morning with no cops around. That's when I try and do all my early moves. Usually we'll hire a State Police detail. But if your just moving equipment from one shop to another, just do it early in the morning and drive slow.

texascadillac42

If the truck is rated to tow 24500 from the factory and you tow 24501 lbs you can get cited. Been there done that. Here it is $0.05 a pound fine.

Things might be different in Alaska, but I believe that the rating of 24,500 that was stated is the GCWR found in the owners manual, and not on the door sticker. The door sticker will only have the GVWR, which is what most cops (at least all of the ones I have run into down here) look at. You have to add the GVWR of the trailer in tow to compute what he can legally haul. The GCWR from Ford is more of a limit based on a multitude of factors.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Um that 5 miles would put more than your life at stake, do you really want to take that chance?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
To clarify my point about registration--I once bought a used 3/4 ton pickup from a Ford dealer. The prior owner had it registered as a half ton. Gross weight of 7000 lbs. I was too young and stupid then to know the difference. It was barely legal even sitting empty at the curb, let alone with all the junk I always carried in it. Fortunately, I never got caught.

Is the truck/trailer combination in question here registered to be legal at that weight? If not, then the tags on the door don't make any difference. You could get a ticket.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
Around here the DOT works pretty much bankers hours, I've never seen them set up on the weekend. While your probably legally overweight for the vehicle, take it easy and do it after hours or on a weekend and you should be fine.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Things might be different in Alaska, but I believe that the rating of 24,500 that was stated is the GCWR found in the owners manual, and not on the door sticker. The door sticker will only have the GVWR, which is what most cops (at least all of the ones I have run into down here) look at. You have to add the GVWR of the trailer in tow to compute what he can legally haul. The GCWR from Ford is more of a limit based on a multitude of factors.

You are right a multitude of factors. Unless I am wrong the weakest link in that multitude of factors is what determans what the factory picks for there load rating. ie. size of brakes, load carrying capability of tires, horse power, cooling capacity, etc.
No mater what one licenses the truck for he/she can not go over that rating and still be legal. one can go less but not more.
If the factory said he could tow up to 24500 with the truck then I would be willing to bet after all the calculating was done he could not tow more then that, it may say less but not more.

next can you have the factory load rating made higher?

Yes it can be done but it is much cheaper just to buy a truck with a higher rating. let alone the red tape one would have to go through.

Like I said been there done that.

the original question asked if he could be cited? yes.
now could he do it and get away with it? yes
is it safe? depends on a lot of things.
I do it all the time.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
You can get a ticket for being overweight , but that wouldnt stop me , go for the gold!!!:drinkup

Tri-Star

I see people pulling Cat 420 backhoes behind 350s 450s and so on all the time and am pretty sure they are around the 23,000 mark so I dont really see a big problem

xalexjx

just drive the machine if its only 5 miles. Its not worth having some dumb ass or someone pull out in front of you and having someone get killed, because if that happens it'll be your a$$ ;)

Grader4me

Quick question..in Virginia...I have an 08 F450 with the 4.88 rear end..rated from factory for 24500lbs towing with a gooseneck trailer...I want to pull a 23500 lbs machine on a 5000 lbs gooseneck trailer for total of 28500 lbs ... I have a class A CDL...BUUUUT will this be illegal or "over weight" ( I know its over weight common sense wise but its a one time move of only 5 miles and I just don't want to get smoked by DOT)

Thanks

We all take chances in life as that's a given. If you want to take a chance and haul something that you obviously know is overweight and illegal then that is your choice. Keep this in mind though...if during that 5 mile haul something terrible was to happen how are you going to feel? Better yet how would the members that are encouraging you do do this feel? I know I'm being a stick in the mud, but you really should think about this more. Also the members that are saying go for it should think about it more...

I don't think anyone of us here should knowingly promote an unsafe/illegal act. Just my opinion guys for what it's worth..

Last edited:

Tri-Star

Ok Here is my ? Around here a the most a Tri-Axle dump truck can be tagged for is 74000lbs but yet I see them hauling D6R's and 963's all the time on tri-axle trailers. I know for a fact they are over 74000. So can someone tell me how they can haul more than what the truck is tagged or rated for????????