• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Left track intermittantly binds up

EddieH

Komatsu D20P. I don't believe it's the clutch/brake. Backing up breaks it free and it's good for awhile longer. It sounds to be something external. Attached are pics of the track showing that the chain is rubbing on something but with a quick inspection I can't see what it would be. Any ideas? Thanks.
thumbnail1.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
How worn is the chain? I see the adjuster is pretty far out... are you sure the sprocket isn't trying to skip a pin?? next time it binds park it there, brakes set and get off and look down the entire chain. If you don't find anything then there could be trouble inside the final...

EddieH

Thanks. I'll check tomorrow. What would be causing the wear on the link rivets though....I know I need to take a better look tomorrow.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Thanks. I'll check tomorrow. What would be causing the wear on the link rivets though....I know I need to take a better look tomorrow.
Doesn't look to bad around the sprocket , rails look good as well , have you checked the bottom rollers for floaters with broken shafts or other problems , there will be shinny areas equal to the pins shine . I drove a D31 for a while , it lost the outside flanges off some of the rollers allowing the chain to drift sideways . Still find half moon bits of flange .

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Those are not Rivets but link Pins. The head wear on them indicates something very afoul on the bottom roller end of things, need to check the wear on pins and bushings measure the pitch wear and inspect all the rollers/guide guards on that machine.