• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ledge and Boulder demo

Someotherguy

Hi Dominion.
Im using a process of deflagration. I just drill a small hole, drop in
what amounts to a blank round, (think of a ramset round), move to a safe distance
and set it off pnumatically.

Jason

carlsharp

Hey Jason can you define 'ledge' in the context of what you do? I only know it as a narrow shelf on a cliff and I can't imagine there are a lot of them that need blasting....

Someotherguy

Hi Carl.
Here in Maine ledged is usually defined as bedrock, but can also mean
any large buried boulder.
There are a variety of situations that people hire me for. Heres a few. Boulder sticking out in the lawn
and person is tired of mowing around it. Digging out for the septic tank and they hit ledge.
Boulder/ledge tips sticking out in driveway. Digging out for basement and they hit ledge.
Thanks.

Jason

jjrockbustrr

Has anyone tried this expanding grout stuff?

Dexpan: http://www.dexpan.com/index.aspx

Bustar: http://demolitiontechnologies.com/
Ive used this expansion grout on bedrock 70' down in Queens NYC at the East side Access. Depending on the conditions it can both ways.
For it to work U need about 1and7/8" holes. U want to make sure the holes are clean and dry. Some spots we used the stuff were low spots, and there was a ton of groundwater. These areas didnt break well. Which brings up my next point, U want to have an open face or edge to have for a relief point for the rock to break. one thing the stuff will definitely work good on is boulders. But just make sure U dont drill the holes all the way thru, or u will have to stuff the bottoms with paper so the chemical dosnt leak out.

DigDug

Looks good ! What are u drilling with hammer drill? I will keep you in mind if I need a boulder split. doug

DigDug

Jason , just gave your name to man from Auburn for rock splitting in his cellar. doug