• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Leaks in trans case on old 1963 Cat D6B

Sam1734

Hello, I recently purchased a 1963 Cat D6B for the farm and the old girl still has plenty of power and seems fairly sound mechanically except my first observations of it not wanting to steer right. I put new fluids in it and then pressure washed the machine off. I then began to slowly work it in a field where some local loggers left us in a mess when they put a log loading area in one of our fields that normally are used to grow crops. The machine operated flawlessly for the entire 2 hours I was able to stand the heat. When I went to park it. I noticed that the machine did not want to steer right at all as I was parking it. After shutting her down I noticed the right weep hole under the right steering clutch housing was dripping milky oil. I then confirmed that the steering clutch housing was wet which would be indicative of a seal failure. I have ordered new seals, and will also replace the clutch plates and disc. I also checked the oil in the transmission, as well as the steering control housing, which was milky. I went further to investigate the main drive clutch reservoir and discovered that it too was very milky. The only conclusion I could come up with is that when I pressure washed the machine, some how water got into the transmission, reservoir, and steering control housing. Now I can't figure out where the water entry points are. Has anyone else experienced this?