• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Le Roi compressor ?

Alexis Aguirre

Hi,
sorry if it's not the good thread but i have a question about a compressor. I am about tu buy an air compressor which seem to be a Le Roi : what is sure is that it's mounted with an international engine (UD-6) but i cannot find any information on this compressor. There is a plate on the right side "Fenwick" which is a french forklift constructor but it's obviously not the constructor because they did not produce any compressor. Does it sound to anybody ? Thanks for your help !
Alexis (from France)

Attachments

• 20220105_115757.jpg
    20220105_115757.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220105_115808.jpg
    20220105_115808.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30

Delmer

sure looks like Le Roi to me. WWII vintage maybe? Does the engine start on gas and switch to diesel after it's running?

what do you want to know? are you going to use this for business? or just a hobby to restore it? A reciprocating compressor will be easier to work on, and diagnose than a screw compressor for something that is more of a hobby. It shouldn't be too hard to get working and keep working for another 80 years. There are cautions about the engine, especially allowing it to cool down before shutting it off. Of course, never let it overheat, not the best heads in those days.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s when I became familiar with that manufacture, as well. In the 80’s. The school had a lot of surplus iron as training aids.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Always had some oddball compressor in the quarries, usually a old Driptroit powered LeRoi but were pretty well worry free machines, run em like you stole em then park them back on the dead line when done to resurrect later when needed again.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Kind of like my old 250cfm rotary vane Worthington compressor. Always starts, always runs, and makes plenty of clean, oil free air. Continental B-427 engine powered that really is thirsty. Why replace something that works so well when it's needed?

LeRoi was a very good compressor unit originally powered by their own LeRoi engines. Wabco got ahold of them and downhill it went from there.

Alexis Aguirre

Hi, thanks for the answers. It's just a compressor for hobby and for occasional use : would like to make it run again but first i have to buy it ! I know this international gas/diesel engine a i have some td6 and td9. And i am even wondering if this is a td6 engine or a td9 engine as the engine plate seem to match with UD9 serial numbers... And unfortunately, this compressor is rather far away from where i live so i cannot go there and check what i want. That is why would like to find ads or technical informations about it !

Attachments

• 20220105_115908.jpg
    20220105_115908.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Delmer

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...57.m570.l1313&_nkw=le+roi+compressor&_sacat=0

Ebay is one place to look for old info like that. Or Fleabay, as it's known here.

One thing to be aware of, if you're planning to pull it home on it's own wheels, I've never found a rim to match that bolt pattern, and the dish covers the bearing, there is no cap to cover the bearing under the rim. So, if you go, bring two 16" compact spare tires, and two small inner tubes, like a 5x16", plus tire changing spoons and tire mounting lube. I'd lend you some spare tires on those rims, but you'd have to come pick them up...

Alexis Aguirre

Yes, i've to check on ebay to find service manual or parts catalog i guess. At the moment, i cant find anything about this compressor. Concerning the wheels, i don't intend to bring it on it's own wheels but on a trailor : too far away from home (more than 600 miles). But thank for the advice and your help but as i live in France, it would be hard to lend spare tires !!!
But a friend of mine sent me an ad for Leroi compressor and i found the compressor i am interested by. The only one which has an international diesel engine is the 250. So i think it's a 250. But now i would like to know if it's a td6 or td9 engine : i've got to continue my researches !

Attachments

• LeRoi products for the construction industry 1954 2.jpg
    LeRoi products for the construction industry 1954 2.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 6

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
If you haven't already, I'd ask around the forums on Smokstak.com, they're usually really good with oddball and vintage equipment info, and have an air compressor section.

Delmer

Redpowermagazine.com is a site that would tell you all there is to know about a TD6 or TD9 engine.

Redpower in this case is not politically incorrect, the Whitepower site had to rename themselves Oliver and Cockshutt, not sure how they ever got away with that one?, but Redpower is still allowed for whatever reason:D

Alexis Aguirre

Thanks for the links. I know redpower magazine forum and i intend to post sthg there to help me identify this engine. I didn't know Smokstak.com but it seems to be a very exhaustive website ! I'll try there too !