• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Latest dilemma moving dirt a short distance.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Treemuncher, that buggy would probably work but moving dirt, it looks like the hopper capacity would be light? I am sure I can't even rent one around here though.

That C60R2 is rated for about 5-6 tons. When hauling dense grade limestone, I would wipe out a KY Triaxle load (maybe 26+ ton?) in 4 passes. I know I often overloaded it with my tall sideboards to the point that I would have to bump the tracks to start lifting the bed. Once the bed is up 5"-6" it will toss the rest with ease. I would usually load 7 full buckets with my 4810 Posi Track and it was loaded to the gills with dense grade, 9-10 buckets with rip rap. Saves a lot of tracking compared to a skid steer and puts out 4 psi or less loaded.

Hauling dirt or materials less dense than limestone - fill it full over the sides and it will throw it just fine. 40 degrees straight on a hillside never a problem. Run lighter loads if it won't pull fast enough through the steep. I put in uncounted numbers of dock landings on the lake and over 12 miles of foot trails on one long term job. That dumper is too handy to get rid of these days.

fastline

They sound incredibly handy, but we don't have anyone around here that even know what they are, let alone rent one!

Best I can do is the biggest track steer Bobcat has, which is the 870. It's frustrating. That thing will be doing good to get 1yd in the bucket, but I guess it should be a safe play.

skyking1

@lantraxco
I knew you'd show up sooner or later :)
he's the expert but I've got some experience with those and they are indeed the bomb when it comes to soft conditions.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If a back hoe would work , a wheel loader should work too and be more productive ,especially if you can get one on big ag tyres.
Sometimes dodgy ground work is not all about weight or ground pressure but the amount of passes also if you are confined and tare weight .

That was my thought, if a BH was an option a wheel loader would work as well. A large CTL is still less then 1 cy in the bucket. A wheel loader would give a 4 time advantage. Even if you needed to throw some pit run down on the road to firm it up would still be days faster than a CTL. The tracked IHI type trucks are an idea but they cant carry much and the travel speeds are slower. A wheel loader can obviously load itself so you don't need an excavator to load yourself (I think, depends on the load out geography of course).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This sounds like a track loader job little bit of load and carry action

Tyler I'm a track loader guy - both large 953 size and smaller CTL's but 500-1000' of tracking one way is too far to be productive IMO for any real amount of material.

Welder Dave

I would think a lot of wear on steel tracks if you wanted any kind of production. 500-1000' is a pretty big range.

fastline

Tyler I'm a track loader guy - both large 953 size and smaller CTL's but 500-1000' of tracking one way is too far to be productive IMO for any real amount of material.

What do you consider a "real amount of material"? You can really get wound messing with the time vs wear vs cost thing.

suladas

I would bet the biggest CTL would be quicker then a track loader with even a 3-4 yard bucket. You could haul 1.25 yards with a ctl easy, and probably be 3x as fast as track loader per trip. CTL also much better on soft ground, easier to haul, and cheaper and easier to find for rent.

But if it's a large amount of material, like say 1000 yards it's not going to be cost effective to move it that way. The only way it will be is some kind of dump vehicle hauling at least 5-6 yards.

cw4Bray

Any chance you could wait, to do the job, for a drought, or for hell to freeze over ?
A helicopter is not an economical option, for hauling dirt.
I worked as a pilot, tasked to fly the corp of engineers around to inspect private dams in OK. I landed on top of a number of earthen dams in NE OK to inspect damage. As a side, the Army engineer taught me about slope and erosion. The Corp of engineers told me which dams he wanted to see, and I flew to them. One of the dams, the downstream neighbor had reported (complained) to the government because the neighbor was concerned about the dam giving way after a flood. Once we walked along the top of the dam and saw the damage, we were concerned also. I smell a big government contract for this job ?

Last edited:

fastline

LMAO, though I should get in the loop on Army repairs. This is certainly a dam repair, but nothing that could affect anyone else. I don't do the shoddy, "where's my money" work. What is really funny is I recently learned my previous boss when I was in big municipal construction was in the Army Corps. No wonder we operated with safety and accuracy in mind!

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
In my mind the big problem with a CTL in mud is the relatively low belly clearance. In soft mud the machine will bottom out. A tracked dumper, with it's bogey wheel design, is much better for traction & floatation in mud & has way more clearance.

lantraxco

@lantraxco
I knew you'd show up sooner or later :)
he's the expert but I've got some experience with those and they are indeed the bomb when it comes to soft conditions.
Thanks but Nope, I'm no expert on anything to be honest, and certainly not on using track dumps, though I can spin the sales pitch a bit. If anything I have a limited ability to diagnose and help with repairing obsolete models of these beasts. Very rarely I get to build one, lol. They're fun, along with being extremely useful in special situations.... they're about the only thing in between artics and that helichopter (sic) cw4Bray mentioned!

lantraxco

They sound incredibly handy, but we don't have anyone around here that even know what they are, let alone rent one!

Best I can do is the biggest track steer Bobcat has, which is the 870. It's frustrating. That thing will be doing good to get 1yd in the bucket, but I guess it should be a safe play.
Are you that far from Tulsa? I mentioned Challenger in an earlier post, they usually have something available.

fastline

Well as I mentioned, the tracked buggy is out. We just don't have them around here. I honestly don't think a CTL will have much issue on this job. It is relatively flat and I could patch up the small haul road with the CTL as I go. It seems like a painful way to move dirt, but...... I have also put out a PM to Suladas on the opinion of the CTL. I am figuring on top of first gear which is 5.5mph. If I can go faster, great, but not sure how it will go. I mean, worst case, it takes longer! But I probably won't get stuck or have issues in that regard. It also can double as a finishing machine.

I won't be working in mud! Nothing like pictures in this post. Just soft ground because it is somewhat close to the edge of a creek and pond.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Well as I mentioned, the tracked buggy is out. We just don't have them around here. I honestly don't think a CTL will have much issue on this job. It is relatively flat and I could patch up the small haul road with the CTL as I go. It seems like a painful way to move dirt, but...... I have also put out a PM to Suladas on the opinion of the CTL. I am figuring on top of first gear which is 5.5mph. If I can go faster, great, but not sure how it will go. I mean, worst case, it takes longer! But I probably won't get stuck or have issues in that regard. It also can double as a finishing machine.

I won't be working in mud! Nothing like pictures in this post. Just soft ground because it is somewhat close to the edge of a creek and pond.
Here is where we were using the excavator and CTL to fill and old pond. As you mentioned, it will work well, but is kind of slow. Only buried the CTL one time in the mud, and the mud was bad in the bottom when we started the fill.
Jeffrayzor gamble pond 1.jpg

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
13308CE0-795A-435B-AEBF-FDBF40BC41FC.jpeg These thing great the main problem we ran into was not being able. To clean the mud completely out of the double bottom rollers and having the track freeze up