• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Large backhoe $50k or less with the fewest emissions problems. What years should I be looking at?

aighead

Congratulations C-I! Looks like a nice machine and get used to it doing a lot of work in two hours!

Also, if you don't already know, when pushing trees over beware of branches falling out of the top of them, they don't take kindly to windshields.

Compression-Ignition

So I bought a used multi-purpose CAT branded bucket. Nice right? Not so fast.

First they sent it inside a trailer on some chintzy pallets. I figured it would have been sent on some sort of flatbed. The pallets were destroyed and we had to hook a chain to the bucket and I drug the thing out with the boom, fun times. Got the thing unloaded and later went to try it out, go to hook up the hydraulic lines and find the bucket has different quick attach couplings (one was smashed). No biggie I guess. Go to order some more, that turns into a 3 day fiasco which we'll just gloss over. Finally get the couplings/adapters on the new to me bucket and when I go to operate the clamshell/jaw action whatever you call it, I see the cylinders trying to move but they can't get it open. I sit there scratching my head for a bit trying to figure out if there is some sort of interlock button I need to push and I finally get out and decide to give everything another once over. I'm looking at the hydraulic lines, looking for anything bent, and what in the world....

THE BUCKET IS WELDED SHUT....

I'm a slightly uncouth old construction worker and I like to swear. I don't do it around everyone, but when the situation calls for it in my estimation, I go on ahead and let loose....whatever you are imagining I said, probably just about covers it.

I got this bucket from Portland Tractor. The guy I spoke with said it was a brand new bucket. When I saw the pictures I said to myself, well it ain't brand new, but it looks pretty good and is fairly new, so I'll give him that one. I spent the better part of a day working on this dang thing. Had to drive over to the place we are still renting to get my cordless M18 grinders I use for welding (little stuff). Then after I went through a ton of batteries I gave in and went to the farm store and bought a decent corded Dewalt grinder and a bunch of 6" skinny wheels. Like I said, it took me just about all day with all the driving and what not.

I'm not as mad as I was, but I'm still annoyed. I wanted to use it this weekend and I didn't want to lose a week or 3 trying to order one from somewhere else so I went ahead and cut the welds out. Otherwise I'd a just sent it back to them.

If there is an actual point to this rant it would be my question should I even bother talking to these guys? My time is worth a whole helluva lot more than the hassle I just went through. I would have gladly paid an extra $1500 for a brand new bucket from CAT. I'd like some cash for my troubles or I'd like to punch someone's lights out. I don't think I'm likely to get satisfaction. How would you handle it?

Last edited:

skyking1

That's terrible. Swear words indeed!
The only reason I see to weld it is to use in on a machine that is not plumbed. It was used, messed with, and sold by a really dishonest person.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
THE BUCKET IS WELDED SHUT....

When I read that I figured that they tacked the bucket so that it could not open up in transit. Well, wen I saw the pic, that thought was gone. As skyking1 said, they were using it on a tractor that did not use the 4 in one feature.

should I even bother talking to these guys? My time is worth a whole helluva lot more than the hassle I just went through

So, you wasted a weekend, and now you want to waste the week talking to these clowns!! They have your money, you have the bucket. It works, and looks almost new...the pain will diminish, and you will begin to enjoy the bucket. Just don't forget to NEVER deal with them again!!

My opinion.

The welds were good

LOL!!!

That is one sweet machine...enjoy it!

Tags

Personally I would call just to spew venom at the guy that sold it to me. But, knowing how things are these days and knowing that salesman of most pieces of equipment know very little, I’d bet he had no idea it was welded shut, someone at the dealer may have known and the guy that traded it in/sent it to auction for sure knew, but I bet the salesman didn’t even know there were buckets that were supposed to open and close like that…

Compression-Ignition

Well I made the call. I tried not to sound like completely disgruntled, don't know how it came across. Guy said they flat out just missed it. He did ask if it was just a tack for shipping purposes, and after describing the welds he agreed that they weren't. I sent him pictures and we'll see what happens. At least I got to say my piece and tell him I was pissed about the situation.

If I get some cash back great, I'll update this thread for posterity. Otherwise I'm over it and that's that. Unless of course like I told my wife there was some fix they applied to this bucket, It re-broke and they applied 'the fix' again and then sent it down the road. That'd re-open the wound for sure and I'll be spitting fire again.

346ci2

I could not imagine paying that but congrats on the new toy.
Machines here around me that I could go check out in person say within a 5 hour drive are $60,000 plus for something with 3500-7000 hours on it. They will usually not have any extra's, like a combination front bucket or a thumb.

I haven't been in the market but that is insane, must be following the path of vehicles, housing and property.

Either way, congrats on the machine, hope it serves you well. An AC cab would be nice here in NC.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I could not imagine paying that but congrats on the new toy.

I haven't been in the market but that is insane, must be following the path of vehicles, housing and property.

Either way, congrats on the machine, hope it serves you well. An AC cab would be nice here in NC.
I'll disagree. Equipment prices new are staggering! You bought a machine with a base price of $130,000 Plus cab, plus AC, plus extend a hoe, plus coupler, plus ride control, plus crusher bucket, plus extra hydraulics to make it useful.

Mine came with one way hydraulics to power a hammer, a tamper, or a pavement saw. For me, this feature is useless. I want a thumb. Best price I've found is $6000. to convert my hydraulics to two way accessory capable, & that is a kit, where I provide the mechanic. His cost is not included.

You found a nice machine able to meet your dreams, you paid less than half the cost of new, and you got my DREAM bucket! If you are not now bankrupt, or divorced, you've done well!

Compression-Ignition

You found a nice machine able to meet your dreams, you paid less than half the cost of new, and you got my DREAM bucket! If you are not now bankrupt, or divorced, you've done well!
The $ put a dent in the war chest for sure, but she couldn't leave me if she wanted to! :D Somebody has to take care of these little rascals.

That multi-purpose bucket is no joke. It cracks the little metal green fence stakes in half if I close it too hard on them. And I kept wondering why I was cutting 6-7" trees and smaller in half when I'd go to grab them. Forgot about the side cutters on this thing. Not having to handle every limb by hand is doing wonders for my production.

aighead

I don't want to justify a 4:1 bucket but I imagine it'd be super handy.

Nice to hear you are already getting lots of work done!

Compression-Ignition

Looks like there is no hand pump or anything so I guess I’ll try to crack a line open or find some sort of bleed screw-in top of the primary fuel filter housing to let the air out. I’ve tried just turning the key to the acc and listening for the fuel pump, but nothing seems to happen. I just thought this would have been covered in the operation and maintenance manual. Had to dig this out of the giant repair manual.

C2F94B92-66B3-4A5A-9534-86C2BA996D6C.jpeg 92728582-13BB-4C49-B80C-9ADA774E918B.jpeg C4A84D09-6A33-434A-BEDF-20094D9D55A8.jpeg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I have used a couple methods on my NH. Not sure if they will help you. My electric primer pump lacks the force to prime the system and is a pain to access the wires to jump it. I used to put a large rubber stopper over the tank fill and blow compressed air in. That would pressurize the tank and force fuel through the system and back through the return line.

Your electric pump may be a on a timer so it energizes for a few seconds when you turn the key on but it should run when you turn it to start. May just take a while to get it primed.

The last time I opened the system I put a low pressure pump in line and jumped power to it and let it run a minute. That worked like a charm to push the air out through the return line. I didn't have to vent anything.

This is where your (1) strainer is. If that is connected with a push on hose and clamps you could easily place a low pressure fuel pump in front of it and jump power to it. You are going to want to replace or clean the strainer anyway.

IMG_2109.JPG

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Fill the new filter before you begin to bleed. I've no knowledge of your machine, but typical machines have bleeder at the filter, the injector pump will have two bleeders, and the fuel rail should have one.
You'll save frustration if you buy a manual. I paid dearly, (over $500.) for a set of books for a Case 580K, but digital version for the newer one was cheap.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Fill the new filter before you begin to bleed. I've no knowledge of your machine, but typical machines have bleeder at the filter, the injector pump will have two bleeders, and the fuel rail should have one.
You'll save frustration if you buy a manual. I paid dearly, (over $500.) for a set of books for a Case 580K, but digital version for the newer one was cheap.
Might find gravity is all you need to flow fuel up to the injector pump if the tank is full.