• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

L10 Cummins Inframe Overhaul Kit

clansing1

I need to purchase an inframe L10 Cummins Overhaul Kit. The Cummins dealer wants $2,800 including tax and shipping. I was wondering if there was a source available for a good aftermarket kit for less money. The motor is a 1984 mechanical L10.

Thanks in advance.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
909 822 5400 $1200
800 828 6943
I think I have seen them on eBay also
I would strongly recommend that you pull one of piston ans liner and try to get a number off them. If I remember, there is like 3 different sizes, even with the engine number, it may have a different size. Some places will not take the stuff back
Good Luck

clansing1

L10

Thanks for the reply.

The prices I got where in the $1200 to 1600 range but my repair shop got a cost of $600 from Carquest. That seems a little too low.

Would the CPL number for the engine tell me what I need to know?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
L10

The CPL is a good start, but if the liners or pistons were ever changed from the original, the parts wont work
$600 is way too low, unless its a head gasket set
If the repair shop can rebuild the engine, for $600 parts, go for it, have in in writing
Good Luck

Last edited:

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
We all look at the first price.When looking into a cheaper kit keep in mind the quality of the kit.
While a factory kit will cost more in almost all cases when installed right it can give you alot more hrs.of service than a cheaper kit.In todays world the new factory kit will probaly have a much better set up than what was installed new at the factory.
As you know a engine doesnt go out when you are NOT using it.

clansing1

L

The machine is an early 80s machine. I want to go with a good rebuild kit but i think that the extra $ 1500 for Cummings parts it is too high.

The engine did not fail but we got water in above the pistons and in the Turbo. The head was inspected and passed. The intercooler was tested and held 60 psi for 1 hour. We think the inner cooler is the problem still. We r going to replace it and do the inframe major.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.