• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota Vs JCB

Dirt Devil

Occupation
school student, tafe student
Hey all,
Im stumped on this one. As part of a whole year school assignment i decided to set up an earthmoving company, which includes everything from company name reg. to twelve month cash flow forecasts. I hope to use this one day as i love my machines, and its a dream for me to own my part of the industry. Anyway, cutting to the chase, ive decided to go with a truck, trailer and a small(er) backhoe loader.
I came down to this: a choice between the JCB 1CX and a Kubota R420 with a backhoe attachment.
My problem is:i have no idea which one to pick. The machines are realitively the same in specs although the jcb might be a bit smaller, and it is also skid so it can get into tight spaces, but the kubota is articulated and more ground friendly, aswell as being a little larger.
Ill be mostly working in open spaces, but will also be planning on doing residential stuff as well which means backyards an tight spaces:beatsme
If anyone has ever come across any of these two machines and have some idea wat im talking about, any help you can offer would be much appreciated:notworthy
Cheers

Attachments

• 80902546.jpg
    80902546.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,637
  • 1cx.jpg
    1cx.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 3,445

fendtman

no real experience with either, but talked to a guy that had tree servcie that had a kubota r400. just loved his kubota, he was very impressed. I think the kubota would be a better machine, or if you had to, the kubota would be easier to unload.

Dirt Devil

Occupation
Thanks, i was sorta swaying towards the kubota for everthing ive heard about them and how good they are to operate, but i cant seem to find anything about the 1CX. i wonder if its just a niche machine or nobody really likes them?:confused:

amunderdog

If those are the only two choices i would take the JCB 1CX
There is a thread around here somewhere about them.
Seen it go by last week?

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Jcb 1cx

Hi Dirt Devil.

It's kind of hard to make a choice between the JCB and the Kubota . I have the JCB 1CX which I have commented on in the following HEF thread http://heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=8672
For my needs the JCB 1Cx works really well. They are both good machines but in many ways are quite different. The JCB is much more compact and the backhoe is really well integrated into the whole machine. It works much more like a mini excavator with regard to maneuverability rather than a backhoe when you are using the hoe. It also is a bit more powerful engine wise than the Kubota and has many of the characteristics of a skid steer plus much better visibility.

The Kubota is much less compact due to its length but has a greater tipping weight capacity because of this. It's really a bigger machine both weight and dimension wise which could influence your decision depending on what you are using to transport the machine.

In short they are both good but for a given use one may suit better than the other. If you are working in backyards then the JCB is the go as even being a skid steer, a careful operator will minimise the damage to lawns etc. If you are just doing a lot of loader work and have the room then the Kubota will perform better due to its greater capacity for this type of work.

Feel free to ask me any further questions on the JCB 1CX as I have been been doing a bit more work with it lately.

Regards AusDave

Dirt Devil

Occupation
Thanks Ausdave, i thought i stole that 1CX photo from somewhere on here:tong

Basically i live in the Riverland, a little grape growing region which has alot of citrus, vines, almonds, olives, you name it theres probley someone who grows in down my way. The main point in this though is i have to find a machine to deal with things like digging trenches for irrigation systems and the like, but as well there are 4 or 5 different towns all in my region that are very tightly packed, so i need something more versitile like the 1CX.

I no a few guys that have their own little dingo, kanga and even avant set ups with the truck and trailer, and they never have a break. Flat out all the time for everything and anything. Probley because there are a few bigger earthmoving companys around town, so they do all the big stuff.

Should i just settle for one side or the other, bigger or smaller, or would aiming in between the two be alright? I guess i thought that would be the go at the start, but the deviding line is starting to show more now:eek:

Also a couple questions on the 1CX-
Ausdave i noticed you said you bought it after finding it sold on ebay, could you give me a guesstimate on wat the adverage price is for one of these beasts in aus?
Also how easy is servicing, would it only take a like-minded person and some parts to fix, or is it a shop job all the time?
And for attachments, i was thinking of going with a 4 in 1, pallet forks, couple backhoe buckets, auger and breaker; would this be alright for just different general applications or do you have any recomendations?

Thanks for the help:D

spunkeymonkey

Personally, I would go for the Kubota. JCB has a few reliability "issues" on the more modern stuff. To the extent that firms around me are buying Cats and New Holland tackle over the home bred JCB stuff. Personally, I have found nothing as reliable as a Kubota. Yet!

Dirt Devil

Occupation
Personally, I would go for the Kubota.

Thanks spunkymonkey, My dad brings his R420 home every now and then to do some work on the block and it hasnt failed us once yet. Just keep fillen her up with grease and fuel lol Not to metion their easy to get the hang of, just seeing as my dads a kubota man thats all he thinks i should get....its a father/son thing :tong
I just dont want to pick this one then find out there was something else twice as good one the market in the same range as well seeing im still only just getting a grip on it all, but ill probley end up going the kubota in the end anyway

Balavto

Banned
Occupation
Construction equipment hire, different attachement
If you want more modern stuff, your choise is JCB! defenitely!!