• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota SVL Skid Steer

JGS

Has any one had any experience with the new Kubota CTL's. I have been looking at them. Have tried one at the dealer's yard. But have not yet demoed one. I would be interested in hearing from anybody that may bought one or had seat time on one.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I ran one this Winter in AZ. I was really thinking it would be something great and I was disappointed. This was the 75 model. Run it and see what you think. I did not like the width of the cab (I ran the OROPS model). Cant see the corners of the bucket. The breakout was good, other than that I was not impressed with its capabilities. When you demo one let us know what you think. Given how strong Kubota is in the compact market I thought they would hit this out of the park. Didn't happen in my opinion.

WV earth mover

I tried one a few months ago at the dealer in my very long quest for the best ctl to suit me and thought the kobota was very well built but was way to heavy in the rear for what i want. I tried to load it on my trailer without the bucket on to simulate a steep incline and it failed that test by a long shot . I could have easily set it back on the engine door befor getting it on the deck of the trailer.

JGS

I am looking to replace a Takeuchi TL130. Loading it. I have the same experience with the Tak. Takeuchi and Kubota seem to design with common characteristics. I am looking at Kubota 90 later this week. The local dealer just received one.

dave esterns

what do you mean by didnt like the width of the cab? does this mean you didnt like how you sat so far back in the cab, and not necessarily the width?

Lil' Puss

I tried to load it on my trailer without the bucket on to simulate a steep incline and it failed that test by a long shot . I could have easily set it back on the engine door befor getting it on the deck of the trailer.

I'm curious why you would do it that way since all of the safety guidelines say to back up inclines and go down forward, which is the way I do it - comfortably.

LetsTalkDirt

Occupation
Owner/Operator grading company
I have no problem loading on a deck over the wheels gooseneck with no bucket, can even do it when the truck is running up hill. I can also clearly see the bucket corners. I really like my svl75 it is a great machine very well built, hydrolic fluid stays very cool, easy access to grease fittings, super cold ac, great financing and even better insurance! I have several kubota tractors but I don't bleed orange I looked at alot of skids before buying.

JGS

I have to agree with LetsTalkDirt. I tried a SVL 90 at the dealer. I removed the bucket. Walked forward up a steep embankment. I didn't feel the tail to be heavy. I did like the responsiveness of the controls. They mirrored the sensitivity of the Takeuchi. I did find the view to the corners of the bucket not the greatest. I found if the seat is moved forward the view improved. I am not short enough to be comfortable in that position. I am used to a large cab. So the cab size was fine with me. It had the enclosed cab. I found it much quieter than my 130. I was not able to move any dirt with it at the time. The machine seam to be well laid out. Hoses were well routed and protected. Not sure about the roll out radiator for servicing. All in all liked the machine. I would prefer SLV75 if it was offered with high flow.

wyomingjet

Occupation
Staying Alive, Semi-Retired, Jack of most trades n
New guy,,, Anyone run a kabota svl75 or 90 for snow removal? I ran a cat recently n wasn't impressed with tge tracks in snow. Yet I realize the design may have hindered it somewhat too.
Any thoughts on how they would be either pushing snow n with a blower attachment? I liked a lot of the features n such, n realize I need to go with joy sticks the the future due to legs/bad knee.
Appreciate any thoughts n such,,, Later Ty

Tags

New guy,,, Anyone run a kabota svl75 or 90 for snow removal? I ran a cat recently n wasn't impressed with tge tracks in snow. Yet I realize the design may have hindered it somewhat too.
Any thoughts on how they would be either pushing snow n with a blower attachment? I liked a lot of the features n such, n realize I need to go with joy sticks the the future due to legs/bad knee.
Appreciate any thoughts n such,,, Later Ty

I just finished moving snow yesterday for the first time with my SVL90 and was concerned how it would go compared to my old Cat 287B. I'm happy to say it performed quite well, even with the "block" style tracks. Granted, it was not the same day as the storm so I was just pushing piles back and relocating some piles and working mainly on asphalt surfaces. The machine drove up on the snow piles well and had good traction as long as you didn't spin the tracks. If you got on any ice or hard packed snow and tried to turn it was frustrating because of the slippage, but if you eased on the drive with good throttle control it went along fine.

wyomingjet

Occupation
I just finished moving snow yesterday for the first time with my SVL90 and was concerned how it would go compared to my old Cat 287B. I'm happy to say it performed quite well, even with the "block" style tracks. Granted, it was not the same day as the storm so I was just pushing piles back and relocating some piles and working mainly on asphalt surfaces. The machine drove up on the snow piles well and had good traction as long as you didn't spin the tracks. If you got on any ice or hard packed snow and tried to turn it was frustrating because of the slippage, but if you eased on the drive with good throttle control it went along fine.
Thanks for the info. Guess perhaps I need to demo one before snow melts. N can understand the tracks with throttle response very well, just wished they'd offer some type of boltin inserts for such weather conditions.
What made you go with the 90 vs 75? How you known anyone to run a blower unit on either unit? I've been very happy with my bobcat 763, yet old age is starting to pay me back for all the abuse of my youth years.lol
I too really like the cab n features of the svls 75n 90, n live in the woods now n considering blower work on the side n such.
Yet I am suppose to be retired. Thanks again for your thoughts, if you ever have more to add please do,,, later Ty

Tags

I was split between the Takeuchi 240/TL10 and 250/TL12 or the SVL90, the 75 was too small for my needs. The 240/TL10 is a touch smaller than the 90, but has some nice features the Kubotas don't, like dual aux hydraulics and factory radio. The TL10 was the same price as the 90 but had high flow and hydraulic coupler (both of which i didn't need/want) and the TL12 was about 9 grand more and the Taks financing wasn't as good as Kubotas 0%. Plus my Tak dealer is 2 hrs away and my Kubota dealer is 30 min away and has a good reputation, plus the Kubota dealer gave me a better trade # for my Cat. Overall I've been very happy with the Kubota and don't really notice that much rougher a ride than my Cat was, its very comfortable, the roll up window makes entry/exit a breeze and its fairly quite inside.

assault66

i have had an svl 90 since december last year. it was always plugged in, but even still i would have to tarp the machine and put a herman nelson on it for an hour to get it to fire. it has dumped the engine oil 8 times due to a vent plugging up. i didn't do anything about it cause i was getting free oil changes but it became more of a hassle than anything so i taped off all the vents and haven't had an issue since. if you run it wide open it is very hard on fuel, guy that works for me runs it just under wide open and it is impressive how long a tank lasts. it pushes snow really good as long as you are in a flat area. it will push up hill but you cannot turn. now that i got all the bugs worked out of it i am happy with it.

wyomingjet

Occupation
Thanks guys for info,,, Haven't heard the oil case psi dump problem? Surprising that you don't blow the oil filter off as normally that can take place with those types of issues. Why it builds case psi is somewhat odd, as you'd think many other owners would be having the same problematic.
*Assualt* are you saying it's good on fuel useage or bad? Guess I am somewhat confused on that?
If you were to add a snowblower to that machine, would it aid turning in snow/ icey conditions or make it worst? I can't seem to find anyone that's experienced with a blower unit on the svls. As my bobcat does awesome with chains, yet love the svl features n getting into n out is awesome. As I have spinal injuries n ole age dog to boot.lol Need hand controls I feel if I have a longer run time of 2hrs. I really appreciate you guys remarks n imput,,, Wished some track manufacturer would offer a track with inserts for traction to be used under snow/Icey environment. Can I ask what you gave for your machines? I'd want it loaded heat/ac high flow the works. Did you compare with other manufacturers? Thanks Ty
I

wyomingjet

Occupation
Hey *Tags* thanks for the info, guess its all about what would benefit our needs n costs. I just don't want to make the mistake of a tracked loader n find it perform poorly in snow/ice conditions.
How'd your old cat due when compared to the svl? A guy should invent a insert for tracks, yet most machines torque may be devastating to such. But I'd like to try it out.lol. Noone can idoit proof a machine from a dumb*** hired help, yeti would never let that happen either. In your opinion on ride vs tracked to wheeled, thoughts? I will look at some of your thoughts, thanks again,,, Ty

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Having the right tracks makes a big difference in snow. The block style tracks most machines come with are no good in snow.
The track machine will ride better under most conditions.

JGS

I have been running a CTL 9 for about years now with a snow blower. The first CTL was a Takeuchi 130. Then replaced it with a Deere 323D high flow. I found with the stock tracks, pushing or plowing was difficult. As long as you were pushing straight on flat or down hill it was possible to be effective. If I tried to push uphill or power through a turn traction was very limited. Snow conditions such as type of snow(powder, wet packed or glazed surfaces) would also determine your performance of traction. I quickly gave up plowing with the CTL. Switched to using a snow blower. I found with the blower you weren't so much as pushing but processing the snow through the blower. Most of my work is on flat surfaces. Mostly blowing snow off the top decks of parking garages. So with a little finesse, I been able to be very productive. I have considered swapping out tracks for dedicated snow tracks. But have yet to make to purchase due to the cost. Bridgestone Polar track and Solideal/Camoplast as of now are the only ones that offer a snow track. What I have heard they perform very well.