• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota M59

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
actually I haven't bought it yet. I just demoed it for a day. I am considering it, but not sure yet if its the way to go.

KBC LLC

I have a 2008 M59 that I use pretty heavily for everything from light demolition and excavation to tool handling and finish grading. It is a very versatile machine due to the pin on backhoe, with some practice the backhoe can be removed and the 3 point hitch installed in less than 15 minutes. The front end loader is exceptionally strong, although the bucket probobly should be a tad smaller. The backhoe operation is smooth and relatively quick for a machine of this type/size. I would like to hear what other's have to say about this machine.

Duke

Bear,

I can't imagine the Kubota having enough breakout force compared to your 110 to make you happy.
I know you hated your 110, but that machine is actually known for having exceptional breakout force hydraulics, IIRC.

I think the M59 was designed more for transportation than anything. It's bigger than the 48 or 110, but small enough to pull around with a dually, maybe evn an SRW 1-ton and no CDL (except CA, of course) on a 12 or 14K trailer.

I just worked along side a L-48 and when I got off my NH and operated the L-48, I felt like I was on a sandbox toy.

Maybe your line of work is better executed with a small machine, size isn't everything. I just couldn't picture digging a whole house, rainwater retention or quickly loading a large dump with a little machine like that.

Good luck with it. I'll be pickin your brain for NH info lol

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
hey Duke,
actually I really like my LB110. The first year was awful, partly because of shoddy assembly, and partly because of incompetent mechanics making a bad situation worse. I stopped going to the construction dealership and went instead to an Ag dealer, and they had my hoe cleaned up completely in 2 visits. I had 4 trouble free years after that. And I know from running other gear that its light years ahead in power, lift, and most other specs. And if you have questions about yours, I will be happy to help. As for down sizing, I have been chewing that one over for a few years now. I specialize in septic systems. In fact thats almost all I do, and its huge over kill to show up with a tandem gravel truck, lowbed and 18000 pound hoe just to dig a 6 foot hole for a tank, and three trenches less than 2 feet deep. Usually in a back yard where my hoe won't fit anyway, so I end up subbing out the digging. I think I am leaning toward a bobcat like capt mets or an ingersol rand. One day I will actually take the plunge and pry open my wallet, but until then ol LB still does the job every day.

Duke

hey Duke,
actually I really like my LB110. The first year was awful, partly because of shoddy assembly, and partly because of incompetent mechanics making a bad situation worse. I stopped going to the construction dealership and went instead to an Ag dealer, and they had my hoe cleaned up completely in 2 visits. I had 4 trouble free years after that. And I know from running other gear that its light years ahead in power, lift, and most other specs. And if you have questions about yours, I will be happy to help. As for down sizing, I have been chewing that one over for a few years now. I specialize in septic systems. In fact thats almost all I do, and its huge over kill to show up with a tandem gravel truck, lowbed and 18000 pound hoe just to dig a 6 foot hole for a tank, and three trenches less than 2 feet deep. Usually in a back yard where my hoe won't fit anyway, so I end up subbing out the digging. I think I am leaning toward a bobcat like capt mets or an ingersol rand. One day I will actually take the plunge and pry open my wallet, but until then ol LB still does the job every day.

I see. That helps me understand a bunch.

Surprised you don't go with a mini ex for digging and a skidder for clean-up???:beatsme

Or how about a mini ex with a power angle blade and a 3-4' ditching bucket for clean-up? That's what all the smaller septic guys around me use.

I do like the idea of a smaller machine in your case, but you should try to find one with a cab to make the day more comfortable.

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
Well I want a cab for sure. I'm up here in BC. Unfortunately, that is a 14000 dollar option on any of these machines if you want a nice one. I have thought about a mini ex, but I ruled that out. All they really do well is dig. I have used them and I prefer a rubber tire. And I have a mini skid that I take along to backfill and landscape after I'm done.That with the rubber tire is actually a nice combination.

Duke

Then why the M-59? You'll just freeze your ballz off in that thing.

If you're gonna get a small rig, at least get a heated cab.

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
well, either i get a small machine with a canopy, which is a dirt cheap option, and keep my NH for big jobs and rough weather(of course I don't plan to do most of the operating, so it will be someone else getting cold!) or I get a used bobcat or JCB machine which came with a cab, and/or keep the NH, or I sell/trade the NH and buy something like the M59 with a Laurin cab. They look factory and come with heat air, but it makes the machine so pricy that keeping the NH is no longer an option.

capt_met

Martin,
it is funny we are looking at similar problems from diffrent snds of the spectrum. i have looked at the M59 and agree that with the laurin cab it is too pricy. i can find a used full sized terex w/ cab heat and air. as well as all the modern conveniances for less. in the end i believe this will be the route i take. and keep the b300 till it falls completely apart. i would love to see JD come out with a slighty larger 110 that has cab but still a smaller footprint than the 310. if it came in over 10,000 lbs. that would be fine. there is a big diffrence between towing 8 tons and towing 10 or more tons. maybe kubota will come out with a factory cab sometime and can get the price down some. we'll see.

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
Hi Metin,
thanks for the reply at the other place. I'm still waffling about what to do. I guess if the price is right I will buy it and take my chances. Or not......

KBC LLC

Bear,

Oops I had a misfire the first time. I own a M59 that I have used since last Fall, and must say that for the size/weight it is a rather capable machine. No it won't dig like a full size backhoe, nor is it as efficient of a digger as a mid-size mini-ex, but I haven't found much it won't do yet. I take advantage of it's versatility as best I can through the use of the 3-point hitch and the skid steer type auxillary hydraulics on the loader. While not as quick as a skid steer with hauling material or as capable at excavation as a mini-ex, I have felt as though I am getting my money's worth through the ease of transportation, relatively compact size, and very versatile design.

Duke

well, either i get a small machine with a canopy, which is a dirt cheap option, and keep my NH for big jobs and rough weather(of course I don't plan to do most of the operating, so it will be someone else getting cold!) or I get a used bobcat or JCB machine which came with a cab, and/or keep the NH, or I sell/trade the NH and buy something like the M59 with a Laurin cab. They look factory and come with heat air, but it makes the machine so pricy that keeping the NH is no longer an option.

I bet for the price of an M59 w/ cab you could get a very low hr used cab/air mini ex and a practically new cab/air skid steer. Those 2 machines will get jobs done 2X as fast as a backhoe.

Smaller backhoes without cabs are like swiss army knives. They can do almost anything, but nothing fast or very efficient. Without the cab that far up north.....dang, I'd be a hurtin pup.

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
well, this morning I demoed a JCB midi. Its a nice machine. I may go that way now. I think I've narrowed it down to the JCB or the M59. They are very similar, but the JCB has more cab room(yes you can get a cab) is heavier built, but only has a 10 foot dig. If I buy it I will add a homemade extenda hoe. The M59 is a bigger machine, but they weigh the same. Most of the JCB components are heavier, and one concern I have with the M59 is that things like pins and bushings are pretty spindly.I may just keep my old one for a while to see how it all works out. I have ruled out the Bobcat/IR because of parts and service concerns. Bobcat basically told me to don't even talk to them about it. And the Yanmar is underpowered, doesn't have a cab, and similar money to the JCB for a machine with no resale value. At least around here.

Warren's Lawn

Martin.
Sims makes a cab for the Kubota M59 - www.cabdepot.com. I looked at their site a couple of days ago and I think it sells for around $4000 without heat and A/C.
Also - if you have any further info about JCB I'd like to hear your feedback. Me and my brother own a company and we dig graves. We are currently using a Kubota L39. We really like the Kubota but have considered going with JCB if/when we trade.

Thanks.