• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Krupp cranes

Knepptune

Ok guys we have been in the crane game for a few years and have grown pretty steadily. We started with an old link belt htc35. Set my first trusses with that old girl. Also still have the grove tms200a. I love that old crane. It just does what you ask it to. Plain and simple. We just recently graduated my brother from a terex bt4792 to a terex t230. Anyway the point of this is we need a bigger crane. I'm very familiar with older groves up through the nineties. My dad doesn't want anything smaller then a 100ton. How are the older Krupp's kmk4080 or kmk4100. I know grove is exceptional with parts and support on their cranes. Do they take care of the older Krupp's as we'll. How solid are those Krupp's. Do they feel like they're chained to the ground like a grove or do they feel like they're getting ready to go over any minute like the terex.

td25c

That's great you guys are growing Knepptune ! I have never been around a Krupp rig .

I stay in the 25 ton range as that seems to be where we hit the best .

However .... When I first went searching for a crane I stopped in and had a long conversation with the owner / Founder of http://www.graberconstruction.com/

We had a long walk & talk session about older crane units and then got to newer one's . Merv spoke highly of the Krupp cranes ...... I want to say He said the newer Grove units were of Krupp design or very similar . Any how ..He liked them . Don't know about part's support ?

Knepptune

I met Tony Graber's nephew on a job for the national guard. Had an interesting talk about cranes.

The 25-30 ton range is nice. Big enough to do quite a bit but still pretty mobile. We have just gotten to where we are turning a lot of work down. Probably 80% of the jobs we cant do are in the 50ton range. A 110 would definitely do everything we have turned down. We are thinking if we have a 100 we can leave the cw's at the shop and do 50 ton jobs with it. Is that logical or are we going to be very disappointed in a 100's maneuverability/road-ability.

td25c

Yeah , have worked with Graber's on past jobs setting precast buildings at cell sites . Great people to work with .

That's pretty much how I look at it as well on the 25-30 ton rig's If I go any bigger they start getting hard to move . We just bought two more Grove 25 ton cranes .

The Krupp 100 ton looks like it's still 8 ' wide . I would imagine it would be pretty agile on road and job site . I was surprised how well Graber's 10' wide Grove 5240 got around on some job sites in tight quarters .

Found a Krupp 100 on http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9934985 Cool looking rig .

Knepptune

Ye I saw that listing. I like the idea of 141ft live boom.

25 ton grove? Not a tms250 by any chance? Our tms200a has the same superstructure as the tms250. Only difference is a live front axle. The tms250 model was a home run for grove. Those out chart a lot of new 40 tons over the rear. Capacity is good over the side. Exceptional over the rear.

I'm trying to talk someone into this crane. http://cranenetwork.com/details?equ...ue&auction_rent=all&country=&state=&id=180621

td25c

The 141 ' live boom on the Krupp 100 Is impressive and would come in handy on jobs .

The 25 ton Grove cranes are TM 250's . One is a 1972 and the other is a 1973 model . Both on CCC carriers ( Canadian Crane Carrier ) . Detroit's up & down ( wouldn't have it any other way .. LOL :D) Other than the carriers they are identical to My TM 250 Grove I'm running now . Got allot of parts , seals , & books as well .

I agree Knepptune , I've pulled on some job site's and they ask .... Is that a 40 or 50 ton crane ? No ...It's a 25 ton and it will really pic it ;).

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I've got a 100 ton Liebherr I'd like to sell, and I'm not to far from you.

Knepptune

What are your likes and dislikes on that liebherr. How is it to move from job to job. Can you haul any counterweight on the carrier and be road legal?

Pm me if you'd like.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I have no problem responding here. I have three cranes and a boom truck. I have a Grove Tms760E 60 ton, Liebherr LTM-1080-1L and a Grove GMK5165.

The 60 ton Grove stays busy all the time. It's what I refer to as a taxi crane. One driver/operator. It'll run 65 mph down the interstate. It's self contained. Simple to operate, a minimal amount of electronics. 110' boom. 33-56' jib. In Kentucky and Tn we have annual overweight permits. It carries three 5500 pound counterweights for a total of 16,500 pounds. With all the cw we're still illegal in Ky even with the permits. We run it that way anyhow. In Tn we're legal. It's my go to crane. Inexpensive to operate and simple.

The Liebherr is an AT crane. A whole different animal. 4 axle. It's legal w/o any counterweight on it as long as we use the two axle boom dolly. The boom dolly is a hassle for short jobs. 20 minutes to get out of the dolly. 20 minutes to get in. We've been mostly running without the dolly. 33,000 pounds of c/w I think. Always trailer them in. Could we make some lifts w/o the cw? Yes, but we generally carry it. All of our rigging and outrigger pads is on the trailer. I will say the Liebherr is the best crane I've ever owned. Top of the line, best you can buy..period.

The 165 ton Grove I bought because I needed a bigger crane. The 165 is no more trouble to move than the 100 ton. Should have bought a 200-240 ton crane. That would be about the largest 5 axle crane made. Only reason I didn't is the money. If I ever buy a 200-240 ton crane, I hope it's a Liebherr.

Both of the AT cranes are pin and latch booms. It allows longer booms and more capacities. But, they're complex and slow. But, that's what they all are now days. Both the At cranes operate very smooth. You can pinch off just a little with ease. Outriggers don't get light. They'll just break. Don't overload them. Keep them maintained properly or ....well you know whattaI mean

Knepptune

Thanks for the response Impact.

We currently run two 30t trucks. We also have two 45t rt cranes. The two thirty toners are busy everyday and we could probably keep another busy if we had it. We really can only afford one more crane. I kind of think a fifty or sixty would be nice because that would do most of the work we turn down. But a 100 would prob do most all the jobs for us.

Talking about outriggers getting light. The terex can be well within capacity and the whole crane moves and flexes. If your not use to that it will freak you out. The grove just stays planted. If you yank the controls it will rock a little but nothin like the terex. The terex is just a much lighter, cheaper, made crane then the grove.

BTS

In our experience the Krupps have been a really solid machine. However I would make sure the EKS system, especially if its one of the older EKS83 systems, is solid. We have seen a pretty decent upswing in repairs of those LMI systems and some parts can be really hard to find anymore. Take a look here at a very recent Krupp repair job: http://www.bodetechnicalservices.com/portfolio-items/krupp-kmk-5110-eks83-failure Good luck and hope you find the perfect machine.

Knepptune

I'm back with more questions. How is the parts support on liebherr's. I know grove bought Krupp. I have found that parts availability and dealer support are invaluable. There are some brands of machines I wouldn't buy because I don't have time to track parts down. I want to call the dealer and have the part on the way that day. The JLG and GROVE brands are by the easiest to get parts for. So what say you guys. Liebherr vs Grove who has the best parts support?

FSERVICE

I'm back with more questions. How is the parts support on liebherr's. I know grove bought Krupp. I have found that parts availability and dealer support are invaluable. There are some brands of machines I wouldn't buy because I don't have time to track parts down. I want to call the dealer and have the part on the way that day. The JLG and GROVE brands are by the easiest to get parts for. So what say you guys. Liebherr vs Grove who has the best parts support?

in my area its grove...im in the southern part of the state

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Liebherr isn't as bad as you think, but, I'll admit Grove parts are easier