• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC8000-6 at K2 mine in Kearl Lake Alberta

1-5-3-6-2-4

Occupation
Heavy equipment technician
this is System 1 undercarriage D8 with 38" tracks. recoil side frames. alligator style master link.

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

alco

cjplanthire, The conversation was specifically about D8s with System 1 undercarriage with LPG tracks . They have standard sideframes. Tailings was the only application they wanted them working in. Now I don't purchase or spec out anything. I strictly fix. But I do know that Caterpillar uses oilsands locations as a proving ground for new technology. If it survives oilsand it will work anywhere.

Alco, our komatsu tailings fleet is much much larger than the cats, but combined I'm pretty sure they're over 100. I can find out for sure though.

For starters, if you're talking specifically about System 1 undercarriage, then you need to mention that...at least somewhere. If you're saying you are sure you have over 100 cell cats, then I am afraid you are sadly mistaken. I'm well aware that there are more machines in the tailings fleet than cell cats, but you stated "Yep our tailings fleet consists of about 150 Komatsu D85s & LGP D8s.", and I can tell you for certain that it does not.

Every tailings Cat up north and LGP version I have ever seen or heard about has boogie U/C.

Big Ben, Funny you should mention that. Up until the latest machines, it was quite rare to see a cell cat with a bogie undercarriage. I used to run them, and every one I was around had fixed bottom rollers, until they started to get the new Ts.

1-5-3-6-2-4

Occupation
Heavy equipment technician
You are very right I over estimated badly. There are far less komatus than I thought. system 1 is what I was talking about when the cat liaison was saying they only wanted lpg d8s with system 1 in tailings up here.

alco

That makes sense that it's with System One only. I wonder if it's because they don't like the twisting forces applied by the wide pads? I'd really like to see more of System One, seems like a pretty slick setup.