1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Komatsu PC8000-6 at K2 mine in Kearl Lake Alberta

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Chris5500, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Chris5500

Chris5500 Well-Known Member

Plant Mechanic
    K2 mine in Kearl Lake recntly took delivery of a Komatsu PC8000-6, Found it while browsing, not sure of any details about the mine etc.

Heres a vid of it in operation.

YouTube - PC8000 003

Photos are not mine, they belong to Mike from Flickr

Attached Files:

2. 53cummins

53cummins Well-Known Member

boy those road barrels sure do look small!!

3. Reuben

Reuben Senior Member

considering the cylinders look to be bigger then the barrels!!!!!!!!!! wonder how much hydraulic oil it needs

4. Chris5500

Plant Mechanic
    The hydraulic oil tank holds 8350 ltr (2,205 U.S. gal) and the hydraulic system requires a total of 11500 ltr (3,040 U.S. gal).

5. cummins05

cummins05 Senior Member

Kearl has sure changed alot since i worked up there with lgp cats sno cats and coring rigs

6. HoJay

HoJay Well-Known Member

It may have changed a bit since the last time you were there but the winter programs still around. I found out Friday we got the contract for 2000+ km of winter road and around 400 leases for core holes. I head up mid November to start brushing for the camp they want to put out in the bush for us. Largest winter program I will have been on.

7. cummins05

cummins05 Senior Member

It was ok work up there i didnt mind it at all.

Contactor sucked to work for tho

8. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

I helped put those 793s together.

9. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Member

boy thats some big iron

10. baseball

baseball Member

who is doing the mining work

11. cummins05

cummins05 Senior Member

K2 mining a div of klemke so im told

12. Chris5500

Plant Mechanic
    Whats in their current mining fleet, anyone know?

13. alco

alco Senior Member

K2 is a joint venture between Kiewit and KMC Mining.

Funny you should ask, we had this very discussion last night. I'll try and get the actual numbers, but I can give a rough idea of what models they have up there right now. I know there is a 5130B, a 5110B, EX1900, PC8000, 793D trucks, 777 trucks of various series, lots of D10T and R dozers, a fleet of 657 scrapers, and so on and so forth.

Bear in mind, this is not their mining fleet, they are in the early stages of development for the site. There are still a couple years of dirt work and plant construction to do before they start operations.

14. cummins05

cummins05 Senior Member

kearl is going to be a busy place the next few months with the winter program hojay mentioned

15. Klutz

Klutz Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Nice pics Chris!
    What's the purpose of the road barrels anyway?
    I assume it's an aid for judging distance or help aiming or whatever but exactly who is using them and for what?

16. NL1CAT

NL1CAT Well-Known Member

Operator
    I think it's a center load aid? Or an aid for the truckdriver to get it lined op the right way?
    I wonder what's your opinion on the right angle of the back of the bucket?
    Alco? Chris?

Looks good to me what the pc8000 operator is doing when discharging the bucket.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  17. bigbob

bigbob Well-Known Member

It looks like those cylinders are leaking. Is this a brand new machine?

18. alco

alco Senior Member

The cones hanging from the bucket cylinders are for the truck drivers to use as a reference when spotting themselves to be loaded. It just makes it easier and faster since they are in the ideal spot for the shovel operator.

I'm not sure what you are asking about for the bucket angle. If you want to elaborate on what you would like to know, I'd be happy to try and answer for you.

Yep, it was a brand new machine at the end of last winter. They do appear to be weeping a bit, but nothing worth worrying about yet.

19. cummins05

cummins05 Senior Member

How does it compare to your shovel Alco

20. Chris5500

Plant Mechanic
    I think I know what you mean, so here goes...

If you notice when they go to empty the bucket they dont simply open the clam but instead at the same time retract the bucket cylinders to dump the bucket so it actually appears to "spread" symmetrically.

Appart from the style of the operator, I can think of only one reason for doing this. Faster cycle times.

By doing this, once the bucket is empty it is fully curled forward ready to engage into the face for the next bucket.

Why not do it after you have emptied the bucket?

Because it would be alot slower, you can only have four functions at once for example clam close, stick in, boom down, slew right - you would have to wait for the clam to close before you could then curl the bucket.

Hope this answers your question :)