• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu Grader

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Does anyone know anything about Komatsu graders? I'm getting ready to rent one, and have never operated or been around one before. I've ran Cat, Galion and Champion before, but never Komatsu. And was just wondering if there's anything in particular to watch for with them. Thanks

curb slayer

Does anyone know anything about Komatsu graders? I'm getting ready to rent one, and have never operated or been around one before. I've ran Cat, Galion and Champion before, but never Komatsu. And was just wondering if there's anything in particular to watch for with them. Thanks

my old boss brought a new gd655(140 size) ,did the job. I did not like that it had a auto lock diff that would lock in when the tyres lost grip,when going around a tight corner with a full blade if the diff locked in it would push you straight ahead and the fact that it was very close to the price of a cat new,but the resale valve was a lot less than the cat second hand.(boss only brought komatsu).has a lot more grease nipples then the cat.

curb slayer

my old boss brought a new gd655(140 size) ,did the job. I did not like that it had a auto lock diff that would lock in when the tyres lost grip,when going around a tight corner with a full blade if the diff locked in it would push you straight ahead and the fact that it was very close to the price of a cat new,but the resale valve was a lot less than the cat second hand.(boss only brought komatsu) and has a lot of grease nipples

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
This is a GD655. It has a manual differential lock on it instead of automatic. I really like it so far. I'm not really a blade hand, and this machine is nice enough that I can make it look like I know what I'm doing at least.:D

Attachments

• Windridge '09 044.jpg
    Windridge '09 044.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,789
  • Windridge '09 057.jpg
    Windridge '09 057.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,509
  • Windridge '09 062.jpg
    Windridge '09 062.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,660

Finish Blademan

Occupation
Sitework superintendent for Wolff Construction. ww
I`ve never run a Komatsu blade.I`ve ran mostly Cat in my lifetime.I talked to a guy doing a street down near Austin who was running a Komatsu.He said he loved the thing and had no complaints.
Umm I dunno ,I`d have to crawl on one and see how it`d do cutting bluetops before I could honestly say.It looks like a good machine.Notice the rippers on that rig are so similar to a Cat it aint funny?

solonis

Occupation
blade\dozer\loader
im not a fan. my mine has 1 komatsu "about the same size as a 16h" and 3 16h and 1 16g 1 24m no one including me use the komatsu blade the komatsu is only 3years old to. the 16g we got is like 20ish lol

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Isn't it that Komatsu is just the newer version of the Gallions and Dressers? If so, you should have no problem adapting, and even thought hey might be different, its basically the same thing...?

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
We had a Komatsu GD625A grader for a few years and it was a very nice machine, unfortunately we didn't have enough work for it at the time and we sold it. My lad was working at a windfarm with it, when the circle shaft broke and Komatsu let us down badly, when it came to supplying a new shaft. We had to hire a Cat 130G in for a week and he just did not like the Cat at all, he could not wait until we got the Komatsu going again.

Bellboy, I am fairly sure the new Komatsu graders are a new version of the grader we had, which was an all Japanese manufactured machine and are no relation to the Dresser/Komatsu graders that Komatsu supplied after they bought out Dresser.

Rn'R.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 3,893
  • IMG_2581 S.JPG
    IMG_2581 S.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 4,140

621_Rocker

Cab-Forward Articulation Point vs. Cab-Rearward Ariticulation Point

I wouldn't mind trying out one of the the newer Komatsu blades. As with most finish blade operators the vast majority of my experience is in Cat G and H models. I would think that you might have a more accurate 'seat of your pants' or slope meter idea of your grade if your cab was linear to your direction of travel if you were articulated. This would be true for the cab-forward articulation point of the Komatsu & Fiat Allis vs. everyone elses design.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrKomatsu

the GD series graders are a new breed of Graders...they are not as good as the old school units but they have a lot of features on them that the old one did not have....they are proud of them....good machines....

nikirao

Banned
Occupation
sales manager
we have a cat 140h motor grader, which is very new, excellent working condition. i try to upload a photo for your review,, but it can't work, so welocme to contact me for more detailed information.

niki

MrElectric03

Im not an operator, ill just toss that out first but the Komatsu graders are pretty comfortable to me. Only problem I have ever encountered was when they first came out we had one that the motor would get hot, ended up using metal to close in the fingerguard on the fan and they ran pretty cool after that, but that was an early model GD655 and it was in a pretty harsh desert area.

duffy

Occupation
Bush mechanicin
the gd555 and gd655 (earlier models) were prone to overheating when highway cruising. the factory released a mod which involved fitting larger, sidebyside coolers, and venting the bonnet better. they are fantastic, but can anyone really match cat graders?? (i aint a cat man)