• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D41S-3 with new found power =O

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Hi Guys!

I have been extremely busy lately, no time for forums and chats... just work, but now things are slowing down and i got time to take some vacation :)

I have posted before about the Komatsu i bought, lot's of problems because it had most probabbly been sunk under water at some point...

The machine has felt soo lazy and sluggish all the time, when trying to make a full bucket you had to have speed and luck. One month ago even that didn't help:beatsme
The machine started to run and sound like a fire alarm, engine revs going 0->500->0->500 rpm even with full throttle? I really couldn't understand what was wrong, i thouth it was the regulator in the injection pump.
Soo i dismounted the pump on site, took about one hour, and wen't to the local Bosch diesel repair shop. The Komatsu uses a Diesel Kiki pump, witch is a Bosch licensce copy.
The pump was totally worn out inside, the elements were soo worn i could see it with my eyes. the reason for the machine wobbling in RPMs was that it did only run on the start aid and the shut of when the elements should give fuel preassure.
Bosch elements were sold out at the moment, i found 4 elements in a shop located in USA and komatsu elements were found in Japan...
The USA stuff would have cost 10€/each, the Bosch 60€/each and the ones i ordered from Japan 130€ each... makes quite a big difference when you have to order 6 pcs...

But man it was worth the money! now the machine will push the same on 25% throttle that it did before with full throttle!
Now when i get the projects done i will also change the injector nozzles, the engine will be like new after that!

Attachments

• 06072009157.jpg
    06072009157.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,824
  • 06072009158.jpg
    06072009158.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 24072009176.jpg
    24072009176.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,760

wolfman

Occupation
Wildland Fire Dozer Operator (Fighting Fire with
D41S-3 are tough machines I've had mine for about 10yrs now. If you have a fuel problem agian check the hard fuel line at the pump there is a filter screen in the bolt that goes in the oval end of the line mine would get stopped up from trash in the tank.

komat75

HI Sparffo and Wolfman,,
I admit I don't know the D41S-3 but I'm hoping there might be some similarities with the D75S-2. Do either of you know that machine?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Wolfman is right..the banjo bolt to the right of the handprimer has a screw-in filter in it..
You BETTER get a plug in the OIL FILL HOLE QUICK, too.
Or you'll be taking it off to get the bearings fixed!!

JimInOz

HI Sparffo and Wolfman,,
I admit I don't know the D41S-3 but I'm hoping there might be some similarities with the D75S-2. Do either of you know that machine?

Hi Komat,
There were a few D75S around Melbourne in the 80s-90s.
I worked one on a Landfill & one with an earthmoving Co ,both in the 80s.
They were excellent machines for the tough stuff,but not great for trim work.
Also worked a D41S for a while.I liked that machine too.It is the perfect size for general earthmoving/landscaping work.
I have D75 brochures in my collection.

Sparffo...where are you these days?
Is the D41 going OK?

Jim

Darrentaylor

D20s-3 track loader

Bought a d20s track loader for some light dirty work on my hobby farm. Never owned a piece of equipment like this before. First day of operation I was in some mud when the unit appeared to be stuck. But the tracks just stopped turning. So I shoveled around tracks an used another dozer to pull me out. Unit will move slightly forward and reverse in low gear but not much. Seems to be getting no power to tracks. Anyone have and idea for me? Thanks

JimInOz

Bought a d20s track loader for some light dirty work on my hobby farm. Never owned a piece of equipment like this before. First day of operation I was in some mud when the unit appeared to be stuck. But the tracks just stopped turning. So I shoveled around tracks an used another dozer to pull me out. Unit will move slightly forward and reverse in low gear but not much. Seems to be getting no power to tracks. Anyone have and idea for me? Thanks

Darren,
You possibly have steering clutch issues.
Go to the Dozers Forum & look for the topic on small Jap dozers.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Sparffo...where are you these days?
Is the D41 going OK?

Jim

Hi Jim!!

Thanks for asking :) I have been really busy some years now, the economical crisis makes it really hard to make any profit at all on the jobs we do, so there has been no time in spare!
But the Komatsu is still going strong! Last autumn we did demolish some warehouses with it, and i did actually have some issues with the fuel system on that particular job...
When the machine was shaking while tracking over the rubble, then the "****" in the fueltank started moving around and clogging the banjo bolts on both sides of the fuel petcock. I solved this problem temporarly by remowing the banjo that goes in to the tank, and putting a plastic pipe in it, so that it doesn't suck from the bottom.
we are getting warmer weather over here now, so now i will wash the machine and remove/clean the tank and fix some oil leaks + mount the cab :)

How are you doing Jim?

JimInOz

Hey Sparffo,
Good to see you still own the D41S.They are a handy sized loader & I'm sure it's been good to you...
Money is tight all over the world,but I'm busy selling parts for old gear.People are keeping old machines going for longer.The good thing about older gear is the lack of electronics.
Hope to see you on HEF again.

Jim

Dusto

Wolfman is right..the banjo bolt to the right of the handprimer has a screw-in filter in it..
You BETTER get a plug in the OIL FILL HOLE QUICK, too.
Or you'll be taking it off to get the bearings fixed!!
I have just bought a komatsu d41s-3 crawler loader! What exactly do you mean you need to plug the oil fill hole quickly? Like on the injection pump or where you put the new engine oil in at? Just new to this dozer and if I need to do something that isn't done on this unit then I need to have it done. Thxs

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Don't worry Dusto... I was refering to the picture of his inj. pump.. the oil fill plug is missing.. 3rd pic on top of the governor..